Thread: Xing Yi??

Xing Yi??

Can anybody give me any info about this style?? It'll be greatly appreciated :]

Xing Yi is a very straightforward MA. "Xing" means form. "Yi" means intent. "Chuan" means fist or style or method. (I know you didn't write Xing Yi Chuan, but I just wanted to write it out to clarify a bit.) So the translation is "Form-intent fist." Sometimes you'll see it as "Mind-will boxing" or something to that extent. The idea is that the mind directs the will and that influences the movements. Try to find some info on the 6 harmonies to understand that more.

The curriculum is composed mainly of 5 punching techniques and/or techs characteristic of 12 animals.(can't recall them off the top of my head) It is a very simple and aggressive MA. Xing Yi players pride themselves upon being very straight-to-the-point and disposing of an attacker quickly. To find out more go here

If you take up this art be ready to exercise a lot of patience. You are going to be standing still a lot. This is the main power-building method in Xing Yi. They stand in a stance called San Ti Shi--Three Trinities Posture. The reason is to TOTALLY relax your body and mind. When you have tension in your body and move it is like being in car and pumping the gas with your other foot on the brake. There are other reasons for San Ti but I'm a little tired of writing. That site is very informative. Tim cartmell knows his stuff. Also ask people in the internal forum.
    "If you practice praying mantis, women will like you."--Shi Zheng-Zhong

Does anyone here have some clips of Xingyi in action?

I also wonder of of the 2 arts is more combative, Xingyi Quan or Xinyi Liuhe Quan?

Thanks guys very very helpful

Im sure if you look into Liang Shouyu you could find some good XingYi videos... I have one done by Liang Shouyu and Sam Massich that is awesome... Master Liang throws Sam all over the place.

It can be related to the Wu Xing (5 element) as for it internal applications... I believe it was originated as an elitest royal guard system or something along those lines... It is alot of linear attacks and moving, there is alot of leg work as I learned, most movements involve stepping in some sense... lots of center line work.

imo its a great system for learning some strong striking skills and/or direct engaging... a great compliment to some Ba Gua training.