Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Majority Rules

Sihing73 Guest

Majority Rules

Hello,

Since this is your forum not mine I wish to put something to a vote. I will leave this poll open for three days and will close it on Sunday accepting the majority of the votes at that time and acting accordingly.

My question is this:

Should Whipping Hand be banned from this board?
    Before you decide too quickly consider this; he may have a great deal of knowledge to share with the rest of us and simply be testing us to see if we are worthy. Or he may have nothing to share and hide that fact behind vague and answerless posts.

Anyhow, the decision is yours. On Sunday I will count the votes and take the action which the majority of you feel is appropriate.

Peace,

Dave

IronFist Guest
    lol, a mod is taking a vote to see if we should ban someone.

for some reason that seriously made me start lauging :)

don't ban me :(

Iron

Wei Sui Guest

Tough call...

He does show alot of arrogance...But he also shows signs that he has alot of WC knowledge, maybe it's just his edge?!

Anyhow, I guess it does us no good if he slams other people's posts without elaboration on why. A yes/no answer doesn't really cut it...but

I vote to leave him be...

Although he is very direct in disagreeing with people while not clairify why...that is his choice. He has not done anything that can be deemed really bad/wrong (used profanity or names). He does get on some peoples nerves by the way he posts(mine!)...but you can always ignore his posts...Perhaps if his posts x the line then I would consider it...

Wei Sui

Dai yut tow dai :)

Ars vitae Guest

Banning

I really like this forum and what it means to be able to share the wealth of knowledge that people have from around the globe, on the Chinese Martial Art that is WIng Chun.
    I think everybody has the right to express there opinion in a civilised and knowledgeable way, as long as they contribute positively to this communtiy that's developed. This is why I'd like to suggest just moderation, rather than a blanket banning of individuals.
    Whipping hands has every right to pass on the knowledge which he wishes to share. This is the point. If you have something to contribute to help shed some light in developing WIng Chun, then by all means feel free to post. If on the other hand, you wish to keep people in the dark, then please refrain from posting. If you post without adding CONSTRUCTIVE criticism then you're limiting yourself and others.
    This will only get you banned or moderated, in which case you would lose your voice here and what is the point in accumulating knowledge, if it can not be shared? If becomes lost here, truely a waste of potential.

By the way this is a vote of don't ban, just (self)moderation hopefully. ;)

P.S - For a Wing Chun person Whipping Hands, you sure don't pick the quickest route to answer posts. ;)

Anarcho Guest
    I don't think he's been outright offensive yet. Maybe he's going to let us all in on what *real* Wing Chun is like later on...Or maybe he just doesn't have much knowledge on the subject but still wants to feel like part of the forum. Either way, he doesn't bother me personally.

Oh, and Sihing73 I was going to say this on another post, but I'd rather let that one die and keep this one near the top: I am constantly impressed by the way you moderate this board. You manage to foster a sense of respect without allowing it to become too sterile, and your desire to let us share in the decision making processes is just another example of that.

Ars vitae Guest

Sihing73

I second what the Man from Oz says. Kudos to you.

Sharky Guest
    lol, nah, don't ban him.

My anus is superiorâ„¢

chi-kwai Guest

sore subject

It would have been infinitly easier for you to simply have banned W.H. from the board without so much as a whisper of his passing, Sihing73. I commend you on asking out opinion beforehand. As for the reasoning, it is also sound.

I don't agree with Whipping Hand's method for posting. It is also evident that the majority of people here have similar opinions, even if they did vote to allow him to stay. One would think that a reasonable person would take a hint and either change their tone or not speak at all. Perhaps this thread will jar such a person's sensibilities a bit.

--
    chi kwai

El_CLap Guest
    Don't ban people unless they break a rule.

sllor Guest
    i say ban him even if he just comes back with a new name

tsunami surfer Guest
    If you ban this guy, who gets banned next? I'm new here and although I do not study kung fu I am always learning. True warriors are not thin skinned. Freedom also means having to let unpopular veiws come to the table. You don't have to agree with it and if it has merit, it will hold its own and be accepted or rejected. Free minds think for themselves.fl

MasterPhil Guest

Don't ban...

Banning should be kept for extreme cases. I wish we could but we can't silence all the ignorants of this world.

In this case, people seem to mostly have a problem with WH's way of expressing himself. But I don't sense any bad intent in his posts i.e. he doesn't seem to be dishonest with the intent of insulting/hurting people. He is merely expressing his opinion like the rest of us. At least, it seems like an educated opinion unlike so many others. If you don't like a post, skip it/ignore it. People are responsible for their own reactions. If somebody's opinion/answer gets you all emotional, that's your problem. You always have the choice to respond or ignore it. WH understands this and applies it well. He already gets his fair share of abuse from everybody here. Let him stay.

ST

Surrounded by chaos, the true taoist laughs...

JiuKaiMan Guest
    Who's Next?
    Instead of banning people, I say we make freedom of speech our goal on this forum. That means taking the bad with the good.
    What if a moderator or someone takes offense to something the rest of us like?
    Lets not ban anyone anymore.

There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim, Dim being really dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar making up our rassoodocks.........

feldor Guest

Leave him be

Everyone has something to offer. We all have our quirks and things that others dislike. If we vote to ban him, then the ideals of the board are compromised. It is a FREE and OPEN forum.

We may not like what people say all the time, but it's a choice to participate. If you can't take it, leave.

Whipping Hand,
    Too bad I can't learn some of your teaching personally, I think you have a lot to offer. I know Hawkins Cheung personally, and understand some of your opinions. You just seem abrasive to others sometimes. :D

Charles
    Bak Fu Pai

durian Guest

ignore him, but don't ban

Banning the fellow is just in poor taste. If you do that, how long until someone asks to have you (sihing73) or me banned? Just ignore him, if you find him offensive or whatever.