Thread: Official policy on Southern styles

Official policy on Southern styles

It was interesting to read about the ressurection of the Shaolin Temple in a recent issue of Kung Fu Magazine. It is an exciting development.

It seems as though there was a time when the Chinese government was attempting to standardize the martial arts of China with the formulation of what is now known as wu shu. Currently it appears that there is a great emphasis in China to restore Shaolin and the Shaolin arts. Indeed Shaolin and what can be salvaged of its former glory should be a national treasure for the Chinese.

In light of that, what then is the official policy regarding the southern styles of kung fu such as choy li fut, Wing Chun, Hung Gar, Southern Mantis, Bak Mei, etc??? Are they not also equally of value to the history and culture of China? Does anyone know the "official" party stance on these styles? Please let me hear your thoughts and input. (I'd appreciate hearing your input on this also Gene.)
    Last edited by Andy; 04-11-2005 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Post script

Andy spake just like so:

In light of that, what then is the official policy regarding the southern styles of kung fu such as choy li fut, Wing Chun, Hung Gar, Southern Mantis, Bak Mei, etc??? Are they not also equally of value to the history and culture of China? Does anyone know the "official" party stance on these styles? Please let me hear your thoughts and input. (I'd appreciate hearing your input on this also Gene.)
    I am not Gene, and I haven't played him on TV.

I think we need to consider that a lot of the styles you mentioned are strong in the west and around the world not through the efforts of the PRC but for some measure through the KMT and Various family associations that are expats for China.

They are also styles that have a foundation in Shaolin, but are each an entity unto themselves seeing as they have been out of the temple for a long time.

The Taoist styles, such as Bak Mei as you mentioned were supposedly caretaken by teh temple for a period in teh qing dynasty and have roots prior to Shaolin.

All that added up to:

It will be a good go for Shaolin to build their pai alongside the PRC who wants only one pai of CMA.
    The PRC created the contemporary wushu 'nan chuan' and may chop that up, filter it and call it the southern styles, but who knows.

Taiwanese arts probably won't get recognized despite their huge importance to the overall diaspora of CMA.

Western iterations of TCMA as carried over or created under the auspices of 'Shaolin' would also likely not be included.

Not to mention all the japanese arts that owe their heritage to Southern styles of CMA such as the Okinawan arts.

In my opinion, if Shaolin gets its way, they will keep going with what they have.
    The current abbotr apparently has a new 10 core sets and they operate a duan system there now as well. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Contemporary wushu has it's compulsories, Shaolin has it's Core sets and the twain will likely never meet. The simplicity of the Shaolin sets in many ways will not measure up to performance wushu appearance wise, but in my opinion could be the base training for the san shou and work it's way into the big circle that way.

anyway, just to say that I think about it, but like anybody else, don't really know at this time.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    It was interesting to read about the ressurection of the Shaolin Temple in a recent issue of Kung Fu Magazine. It is an exciting development.

It seems as though there was a time when the Chinese government was attempting to standardize the martial arts of China with the formulation of what is now known as wu shu. Currently it appears that there is a great emphasis in China to restore Shaolin and the Shaolin arts. Indeed Shaolin and what can be salvaged of its former glory should be a national treasure for the Chinese.

Standardization is for control. The policy on those styles might be simply summed up in terms of popularity. It will be harder for them to reel them into party control but they will. Unless people desire to fabricate their own weapons and never travel to china for demo's ect, they will be brought under the wing of party control.
    --
    Mountweazel (n.) the phenomenon of false entries within dictionaries and works of reference. Often used as a safeguard against copyright infringement. The Liar's Dictionary by Eley Williams