Escapes from front turtle and side turtle

no sparring due to seni comp tommorow
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Sat 23/04/05

Seni Gracie invitational @ martial arts expo

won 1st two matches 8-0, 10-0. Lost 3rd match to eventual winner by RNC (behind by 3 points, panicked and made stupid mistake) who was also my team mate so we still got gold in Medium Heavy. Saw some bull**** decisions/scoring but cest la vie.

Saw Royce Gracie and Ian Freeman plus Master Sken (Muay Thai) and some people I know from Wing chun.

'What about the desert?'

- Spartan

Sun 24/04/05

Escrima seminar with Steve Tappin 11-5

Will write up later - lots of drills & movement but tired from comp yesterday. Still enjoyable and Mr Tappin is a character.

'What about the desert?'

- Spartan

Mon 25/04/05

Ill. Been overdoing it recently. Now suffering cold. Hopefully okay by tommorow.
    Watched Gary Lam chi sau DVD and played guitar all evening.

Currently reading book about IMA by B K Frantzis. Cant decide if its all bollocks (chi and related theories). Certainly seems so at times. Yet maybe different terms for same thing (i.e. body mechanics/structure etc.)

'What about the desert?'

- Spartan

Congrads on the competition. Sounds like you had a couple of good matches. You get your points off takedowns or guard passes?

Steve Tappin's a great teacher. I tried to do some private lessons with him when he was out here years ago, but we couldn't hook up. His staff work is truely impressive. I've heard his sons are brutal to spar with, and that his school does some awesome live training, lots of empty hand brawling.

The Frantzis book- his journey through the IMA book? Coincidentally, I'm re-reading it now. He has skills and has been around. He's also kinda nuts, and either delusional or lying frequently, from everything I've heard. Personally, I've found little useful in the book. It has some good stories which are fun, which is why I'm skimming it again.

Later,

Andrew

Nick- congratulations on your matches.!!
    joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS
    Congrads on the competition. Sounds like you had a couple of good matches. You get your points off takedowns or guard passes?

1st match got double underhooks and did a suplex (everyone started cheering). Then knee on stomach. He turtled up so got back mount and then ended up with him in my guard when time ran out.

2nd match opponent ahd very long legs (like 6 foot 7) and tried to pull me into his guard. Managed to pull out of his triangle attempt and pass guard. Went into knee on stomach then mount. He reversed, I escaped from guard and passed his guard again. Got knee on stomach and went for arm bar. Time ran out as i was trying to break his grip.

Steve Tappin's a great teacher. I tried to do some private lessons with him when he was out here years ago, but we couldn't hook up. His staff work is truely impressive. I've heard his sons are brutal to spar with, and that his school does some awesome live training, lots of empty hand brawling.

Yeah hes a great guy. I did a bit with his son Wayne who trains BJJ with my team (master/brazza - he is under Leo Viera, Im under Roger Brooking). Steve told us some funny stories about KK apres.

The Frantzis book- his journey through the IMA book? Coincidentally, I'm re-reading it now. He has skills and has been around. He's also kinda nuts, and either delusional or lying frequently, from everything I've heard. Personally, I've found little useful in the book. It has some good stories which are fun, which is why I'm skimming it again.
    I agree with this 100 %. The stories are fun and its a good overview but some of it I am v sceptical about.

'What about the desert?'

- Spartan

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti
    Nick- congratulations on your matches.!!
    joy chaudhuri
    Thank you very much Joy!!!!

'What about the desert?'

- Spartan

'What about the desert?'

- Spartan

PM me with the KK stories- I'm always curious.

BTW- I've gotta say, Steve's site was a bit disappointing. 20+ years with Mr. Latosa and little mention of him. The business of martial arts s*cks.

Andrew

Escrima seminar w/Steve Tappin of Escrima concepts

Drills:

Empty hand

A tries to tap Bs shoulder, B defends. Vice versa. First to 10.
    Same again but all against all.
    One against one but peripheral awareness. Can be struck by other people.

A puts his hand on Bs chest and exerts pressure. A then moves around and B has to keep the pressure constant.

Single stick

A attacks with angle 1 (overhead downward strike). B defends with roof block and evades to side. Should keep facing, weight evenly distributed and body hidden behind stick.

Same again but A throws in punch after strike. B uses wu sau to defend.

Same again but now B steps in/takes up As position

Same again but now A counters by either stepping back or to the side.

Same again but A counters with angle 3/hook. B step in to it using biu and cuts it off at the elbow. If Bs blocks not sufficiently forward A can just drop stick to hit. If Bs block is right he can wrap arm over and get bent arm shoulder crank (like Americana but without wrist frame).

Same as first drill but now B counter attacks and A positions stick to hit or hand to punch or calls out kick.

Single stick vs single stick. A attacks from 3 angles B switches from roof to shield left to shield right using minimal elbow movement and hip movement.

Same again but single stick vs double stick.

Double stick vs staff. A holds staff and calls out to B which arm to hit with. Also changes level of stick and grip of stick.

General

Need to be adaptable in defence and offence. Techniques which will work against empty and wont work against knife. Techniques which will work against knife wont work against stick. Techniques which will work against stick wont work against machete

Have tried to cut out flashy non functional techniques:
    Don’t use Redondo/wrist twisting strikes. Don’t use Wing block except in emergencies and even then only a back up. Live hand is primary defence which stops angle 2 at elbow. Don’t front or back weight. Don’t engage in meaningless stick twirling.

Always keep focus on the man, not the weapon. Weapon should stay in peripheral vision. Tip of blade moves too fast for you to keep track of it visually, Watch his body/attitude for attack cues.

Keep body behind weapon. Don’t let weapon arm get extended outside line of body. Important principle for both attack and defence.

Use box theory for defence . 4 slashing angles and one stabbing angle. Blocks involve small movements of elbow and body shifting positions. Always try and do less. Economy of motion v important.

Have to attack the attack otherwise attack may just keep going but also must use footwork to off angle i.e. not just blockig but evasion also. However having blocked they don’t chamber the stick for a counter strike like some styles do.

Use cycling motion of arm to rechamber strikes. Stay relaxed and drop body weight for power. Important not to overcommit though (again this is about keeping focus on man not weapon).

History

On battlefield water men had general amnesty since biggest danger when in suit of armour is dehydration/overheating

Spanish rapier had influence on Escrimadors. Unfortunately they started to use moves which were not appropriate for machetes.

Environmental factors count for a lot when considering genesis of a weapon style: terrain, temperature, clothing, situation etc. EG European gentry used to wear large boots and fight in narrow cobbled streets. This influenced their stance and footwork.

In melee fighting, used to fight in groups of five. Had to be very careful not to injure own men.
    Last edited by Nick Forrer; 04-26-2005 at 03:55 PM.

'What about the desert?'

- Spartan

Previous Escrima seminar notes 04/12/04

Drills

Empty Hand –

Angling off NW to closed / blind side from single attacks. L then R.

Same again but angle off to open / live side.

Same again but angle off to either (add in counter attacks).

Single stick –

Angle 1 attack (overhead downward swing). Roof block (stick tip down, elbow up) counter

Same again but add movement – back, forward, sideways. Hold out other hand – can they punch it? This helps check if range is correct.

Angle 1 to angle 3 (like tennis forehand) attack. Roof block to inside sweep counter. Just drop elbow straight down.

Angle 3 and 4 attack moving back and forth. Turn body and stay facing to counter.

Same again but add level changes.

Angle 1 roof block and counter attacks. Just flow w/ no resistance.

Then same again but add disarm. Grab stick at tip, push down on wrist with other hand (butt of) & strip stick out. If they are strong sink the knees at the same time.

Any Angle and counter attack.

Empty Hand Vs Knife-

Start w/ traditional blocks to knife e.g.X block: ineffective because - Length of knife (wont stop a long one), also can just sink knees and slash throat. Or piking to get stomach away. This protects stomach but leaves throat exposed.

Everyone line up in two long rows facing one another.

Then

A Stabs without moving. B Has to block it. L side then R.
    Same again but with lunge.
    Same again but with step.
    Same again but attack may be aimed at nearest three people in line.

Then wrong gan to low gan alternating hand drill.
    Same again but with movement.
    Same again but with changing partners immediately after command.
    Same again but with stopping (balance test then administered)

General

No numbering system for strikes unlike other systems. Too many strikes to categorise and unnecessary to do that anyway. Instead use five target attack zones i.e. 4 quadrants (slashing angles) and centre of mass (stabbing angle)

Also in their system they use the concept of the triangle. Shoulders/torso is base, tip of stick/outstretched hands is apex. This is where power is concentrated when striking.

Stay facing when moving/ evading. This ensures that both hands are available at all times for simultaneous attack and defence.

Don’t front weight or back weight. Must be able to move w/equal ease in any direction (WSL used to say – Tennis players don’t stand with one foot forward- for the same reason).

Don’t block the attack. Attack the attack. To do this: Arm should be bent not straight when making contact with incoming weapon, body should be behind strike (arm should not be outside line of the body). Hit at the strike don’t hit through it. Must be relaxed (hand, arm, body) to get coiling explosive power (demonstrated this by hitting the end of a staff with me holding it with both hands)

Keep everything in tight – use minimal motion – evade with the feet not the body.

Evade and counter attack all in one motion – everything should arrive together.

Focus when fighting should be on the person and their arms – it should not shift to the weapon they are holding. It moves too fast and will make you overly defensive and prone to feints (Gave illustration of tip of broadsword: when swinging was measured at 600 feet per second).

3 Points of counter attack. Near point (nearest hand), logical point (far hand/weapon hand), strategic point (unexpected action – eg lock)

Ideally you attack first – especially if he draws weapon back/chambers it. But not always going to get opportunity so have to counter first if he steals a march on you.

Bad habits: Turning body away from attack zone, front weighting/lunging, wrist twisting strikes (no power), bringing stick back too far when counter attacking (gratuitous chambering).

The body has been designed for survival. That’s why our veins are on the inside of our arms and not the outside. Need to remember this for knife defence.
    Last edited by Nick Forrer; 04-28-2005 at 04:32 AM.

'What about the desert?'

- Spartan

Mon and Tue 25 and 26 04 05

Off. Ill.

'What about the desert?'

- Spartan

Wed 27/04/05

Still ill. Managed 1 hr wing chun. Attack series plus slow chi sau for 45 mins.

'What about the desert?'

- Spartan