Page 10 of 63 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Hajime no Seven - the second blog

6 / 25 - thai boxing

HARD sparring with coach. we both thought that we'd end up getting knocked out. He's got a fight coming up, and he definitely needed it. I've got one of the better chins in class and can dish out a lot of power myself, so when he wants to spar hard, it's usually me that he beats on. great stuff. We finished up with some speed bag and pad work.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

6 / 27 - gym

a friend of mine is visiting from dallas, so I trained with her. Her weight routine is circuit based, which I hate, but I did it anyway, since the wanted me to work out with her.

leg press - 450 x 10 - 2 sets
    lat pulldown 100 x 10 - 2 sets
    squats - 315 x 10 - 2 sets
    lateral raises - 30 x 10 - 2 sets
    bench press - 225 x 10 - 2 sets
    tricep pressdown - 70 x 10 - 2 sets
    curls - 40 x 10 - 1 set, 50 x 8 - 1 set
    calf raises 225 x 10 - 2 sets

we finished with some ukemi, as she is an aikidoka and wanted me to help her.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

6 / 28 - thai boxing

trained with coach - several rounds on the speed bag, heavy bag and focus mitts. I also spent several rounds just pounding the bag with my cross, and then several using only the hook.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

6 / 29 - thai boxing

lots of punching - again. We are really getting the newbs to correct their technique. We are doing lots of pad drills and such to do so. I just focused on hitting the pads as quickly and accurately as I possibly could. we ended class with some 5-10-5 drills. Afterward I put in rounds on the speed bag and heavy bag.

I had friends visiting from out of town, so I didn't stay for capoeira.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

6 / 30 - thai boxing

tonight I did cardio of a different nature.... not of a different nature, but of a different type. It wasn't a circuit, like they were used to. Tonight, it was all skill focused. We warmed up with two five minute rounds of jumping rope and other calesthenics. From there:

shadow boxing - 4 rounds

2 minute drills - squat thrusts, push ups, squat jumps, hindu pushups - 30 secs each - 2 rounds

thai pads - onsies, twosies - roundhouse kicks on the pads. 1 kick, then 2 kicks, then 3 kicks, then 4, finally 5. Then, work your way back down - 5 kicks, 4 kicks, etc. on each isde, then switched. We did this several times.

more calesthenics and ab work.

skip knees and other knee drills.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

7 / 1 - nothing today

I didn't do anything, however I received an email from one of the trainers at my gym - she has been put in charge of the group fitness activities and has asked me if I want to teach a thai boxing class for them. We're talking about it now, as she wants to start in august.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

7 / 2 - cultural arts demo

A few weeks ago, our school was asked to participate in a cultural arts day that was being thrown by one of the city libraries. Coach and I went first. I gave a 40 min synopsis of muay thai, it's traditions and techniques. The judo guys went next, and the capoeira guys finished it up. We each also gave demos of our respecitve arts, had audience participation, etc. It went really well. It has been suggested that we do this all over the city, which is something we may consider.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

7/8 - gym

so much has been going on lately that I haven't been able to workout at all. My wife's grandmother had a stroke last week, and she went up there to make sure she was okay, and to visit with her. I drove eight hours to go get her, then immediately drove 8 hours back - then went to my day job that same morning I returned, AND went worked at the club that night. I also work both tomorrow, and I am at the club on sunday, then leave there for the day job on monday - so I haven't been sleeping much.

I'm cool with not sleeping - I don't sleep much anyway - but stuff with her family and various other issues have been in the way of me and the iron. Next week, that should be back on track.

anyway, today I hit the bench, curls, dips and deads - I can definitely tell that I missed a few workouts - but once I'm back on track, my poundages will return to normal.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

7 / 12 - gym

ran a few miles today. Nothing fun or exciting.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

7 / 13 - thai boxing

lots of hand work. We drilled punches till are shoulders felt like they were going to just fall off. There was a new guy in class also - c0cky lil son of a fun. He's got a few months in thai and also some style of kung fu I've never heard of. He's a good guy, but real full of himself... I don't think he's experienced a good beating yet.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

7 / 14 - gym

lots of heavy lifting - deads, squats, curls and bench press. I'm not going as heavy as usualy yet though, just working back up to where I was.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

7 / 15 - thai boxing

we did the circuit thing tonight. class was small, so I only set up like seven stations:

shadowboxing
    15-sec interval - punches, squats, pushups, squat thrusts
    knees
    speed bag
    abs
    heavy bag - kicks
    heavy bag - punches

we ran this a few times and finished with ab work and 30 roundhouse kicks per leg on the thai pads.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

7 / 15 - I'm the next billy blanks??!??!

the gym asked me to teach some classes - they want a thai boxing class and a cardio kickboxing class. today i had to demo the cardio class for the staff. They seemed to enjoy it, so we'll see how it pans out. They want to start classes in august when they implement the new schedule.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

7 / 16 - thai boxing

we had open sparring today. Myself and a few of the newer guys showed up. It was a pretty good session. On the open sparring days, there is no instruction, we just glove up and go. I made a conscious effort to really work my slipping and head movement. This will likely be my goal for the next several sessions, until I get it where I feel it should be.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

7 / 15 - capoeira

once again, an awesome workout. I'm starting to learn a few new techniques now. I won't butcher the proper spelling, so I will say what they seem to be equivalent to - roundhouse, a foot sweep, inside crescent kick, spinning outside crescent kick, front thrust kick. So far, everything I'm learning / seeing, is the exact same as It's been taught to me in previous training, except it's done from the capoeira footwork, which can confuse the hell outta you. It's great though so far.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter