Page 13 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Hajime no Seven - the second blog

11/9 - thai boxing

boxing and knees were the name of the game tonight. We worked them in various combinations, then put them together into offensive and defensive drills. We spent the last 30 mins of class sparring. After class ended, I put in 2 rounds on the heavy bag and several rounds on the double end bag.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

11/10 - thai boxing

WTF??!??! Nobody showed for my conditioning class tonight. Consequently, coach and I did some training on our own. We did some sparring, worked the double end bag and also the heavy bag, preceeded by jumping rope. I found out today that one of the guys from our sister gym in denmark is gonna be coming down for the next four months to train us. So for the next four months, I get to be a student again. Gonna be a great four months.

I'm not going to capoeira tonight. One of my guys is having his first fight, so I'm going down to support him.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

11/11 - fight night.

He had his fight tonight. He won by decision. He put up a great fight, expecially for his first time, but I think he coulda ended it much sooner - he was hesitant with his combos and wasn't throwing full power on his crosses. All in all though, he did great and will be back in the gym next week.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

11/13 - thai boxing

I have a student that is taking private lessons. She cancelled on me saturday, but we trained today instead. we did a typical warm up, followed by lots of footwork and drilling her jab. cross and hook. I gave her an intro to knees and also bobbing and weaving.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

11/14 - gym

squats and bench press ruled the day.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

11/14 - thai boxing

hands, hands, and more hands. We worked boxing all night. Following class, I worked on the double end bag for several rounds.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

11/15 - gym

bleh... ran three miles. Gag me.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

11/16 - thai boxing

worked boxing again. a lot of the newbs really need the hand work, so we've been focusing on it. I focused specifically on hooking strikes and getting them to turn their body into them.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

11/16 - capoeira

capoeira kicked my ass tonight. We ran for 20 mins, followed by 220 crunches, 70 pushups and various other calesthenics (the warm up wasn't that bad). we immediately broke off into ginga practice, then trained combinations up and down the floor. we worked ginga / feinta / meia lua / au / negativa / role first - yes, that is all one long combo. we also worked ginga / skip step / ginga , ginga / feinta / ginga and ginga / au / negativa / role.

for line drills, we worked with bencao, and a combo with meia lua and meia lua de frenta. We ended classe with play in the roda.

I earned a nickname (everyone gets one eventually) Because I am muscular yet very agile, they call me "besta", or beast, after hank mccoy (beast of the x-men)

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

11/19 - thai boxing

today was a good, long day of training. I ran the sparring class today, which was held for an hour and a half. We began with warmups, shadowboxing and padwork and finished up with plenty of sparring. As soon as that class ended, I had a private lesson with someone. We did the normal warmup followed by jumping rope, shadow boxing, technique work and sparring.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

11/22/05 - gym

chest and legs - I hit several sets of squats, bench and t pushups. My bench has plateaued, though... I gotta overcome it. A co-worker of mine used to powerlift and told me he had a good bench program to try. I guess I can give it a shot.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

11/23 - gym

pulling motions today - pullups, power cleans and deads. Fun!!

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

11/28/05 - thai boxing

I'm back from the thanksgiving holiday now. A buddy of mine, mike pyle is teaching the classes this week, and last night was pretty good. We worked hands alot. There are a lot of new guys in class, so it was definitely necessary. we also worked some basic counterfighting. We worked up a good sweat and after class I did a little sparring with another one of the instructors.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

do you have a capoeira lingo list somewhere for the uninitiated?

we worked ginga / feinta / meia lua / au / negativa / role first - yes, that is all one long combo. we also worked ginga / skip step / ginga , ginga / feinta / ginga and ginga / au / negativa / role.

strike!

I really didn't think anyone was still reading this. I'll find one.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter