Page 14 of 63 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Hajime no Seven - the second blog

Gracias...

strike!

12/1 - thai boxing

we spent the majority of class working on stringing together punck and kick combinations. naturally, we were able to do this while working up a sweat so that everyone got a decent workout. After class, I did some light sparring, then headed to capoeira.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

12/1 - capoeira

after the typical 15 - 20 mins we spend running and doing various calesthenics, we moved into drilling three basic kicks - meia lua de frente (inside crescent kick, basically), martello (roundhouse) and bencao (front thrust kick) Next was line drills cosisting of a simple combo of au / negativa / role. We ended class with play in the roda.

Since I am now aware that people are still reading this, I want an opinion on something - I am thinking about getting a tat across my back. My idea is a capoerista fighting a thai boxer in a roda (circle) of fire. In the background, a judoka will be watching. Would that be too busy and cluttered, or would it be cool?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

12 / 2 - thai boxing

with this being holiday season, class attendance isn't that great... That's normal. Only two people showed tonight, so the other coach and I spent one on one time with each of them. I had them doing some advanced mitt drills and light sparring with me.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by yenhoi
    do you have a capoeira lingo list somewhere for the uninitiated?

we worked ginga / feinta / meia lua / au / negativa / role first - yes, that is all one long combo. we also worked ginga / skip step / ginga , ginga / feinta / ginga and ginga / au / negativa / role.

negative / role can be seen here, as well as meia lua:

http://www.capoeiraartsny.com/movies.htm

Here, you can see the ginga, and a takedown called rasteira:

http://www.capoeiraartsny.com/movies2.htm

Here is another, but this is not how we do our negativa:
    http://translate.google.com/translat...lr%3D%26sa%3DN

here are some animated gifs of some of the flashy techniques - much of what you see on tv today. These aren't as prominent (not by us anyway) in the roda.

http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl...lr%3D%26sa%3DN

yehnhoi, check out this link and look at the technique called vingativa. Doesn't the throw itself remind you of kinjit kepala?

http://www.wu-wien.ac.at/usr/h96b/h9...ap-basics.html
    Last edited by SevenStar; 12-02-2005 at 01:26 PM.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

wow. great links. how did i miss those before?

you dont play judo anymore?

how will people know the guy watching is a judoka instead of some weirdo karate guy? are you planing to use ryu's avatar?

Im entertaining a tatoo on my chest of an epic battle. some kinda braveheart/prophecy/lord of the rings type thing.

I am impressed with the capoeira drills. My teacher plays drums when we "do kali."

I was blogging at emptyflower a year or so ago until the weirdos chased us "mma types" off.

strike!

all of the capoeira feels very silat-y to me. the idea of sneakyness and deception in the vulnerable appearing postures etc is very indonesian-like.

id say. mucho bueno.

strike!

also all the "saluting/hair-combing" motions.

strike!

Sevenstar,

that design sounds challenging- if you had all three elements- judoka watching thai boxer playing w/ capoeria guy roughly similarly sized, balancing each other, inside said ring of fire it could probably work, maybe with some some kanji or background from japanese print art by the judoka, thai script and a temple in back or other obviously thai element by the thai boxer, and, umm, a cute brazillian tranny by the capoeria guy ;-) it could work.

My advice- find the best artist you can and drop whatever it takes- don't try to do this on the cheap; you'll regret it. Think your piece through long and hard, and look at a lot of art to figure out what you like

My ink
    <http://fkirkalley.com/andrew_lrg_pg.htm>

My fiancee's

<http://fkirkalley.com/hope_lrg_page.htm>

Kirk's page

<fkirkalley.com>

Andrew

P.S. Yes, I'm trying to talk you into this.

Quote Originally Posted by yenhoi
    you dont play judo anymore?
    Not as often as I'd like. Since I started this second job, I am always working on tues, and on thurs, I teach the thai class - which runs at the same time as the judo class.

how will people know the guy watching is a judoka instead of some weirdo karate guy? are you planing to use ryu's avatar?
    They wouldn't. Maybe I should write "judoka" above his head?

Im entertaining a tatoo on my chest of an epic battle. some kinda braveheart/prophecy/lord of the rings type thing.
    That would be cool.

I was blogging at emptyflower a year or so ago until the weirdos chased us "mma types" off.
    For some reason, that doesn't surprise me. What were they doing to chase you guys off?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS
    Sevenstar,

that design sounds challenging- if you had all three elements- judoka watching thai boxer playing w/ capoeria guy roughly similarly sized, balancing each other, inside said ring of fire it could probably work, maybe with some some kanji or background from japanese print art by the judoka, thai script and a temple in back or other obviously thai element by the thai boxer, and, umm, a cute brazillian tranny by the capoeria guy ;-) it could work.

My advice- find the best artist you can and drop whatever it takes- don't try to do this on the cheap; you'll regret it. Think your piece through long and hard, and look at a lot of art to figure out what you like

My ink
    <http://fkirkalley.com/andrew_lrg_pg.htm>

My fiancee's

<http://fkirkalley.com/hope_lrg_page.htm>

Kirk's page

<fkirkalley.com>

Andrew

P.S. Yes, I'm trying to talk you into this.
    Adding the kanji / temple, tranny, etc in the background is an awesome idea - I hadn't thought of that.

Nice Designs, BTW. I like the way your fiancee had the bat incorporated into the (scarab?)
    Last edited by SevenStar; 12-05-2005 at 12:27 PM.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

They just *****ed and talked ****, H20dragen got tired of em and left too.

I was just showing (then) how much different and not-different our Kali training was to the sc/mma dudes also blogging. Same idea nowadays, anyways.

strike!

If you're doing a back piece, you're looking at a good bit of space- you'll need some background. For the judo guy, you could use the kanji for judo, or kanji for an applicable Jigaro Kano quote- that could be cool. Also- think about how the piece is gonna relate to your body and motion- the composition should work with the canvas.

You're right, that's a scarab- in the style of Lalique's jewelry, if it matters. Both she and I are big Deco fans (hence, my Aubrey Beardsley piece). The rework was kinda necessary- she was gonna wound me if I asked her if she wanted a bacardi cooler one more time.

Good luck,

Andrew

12 / 5 - thai boxing

we had a lot of new students tonight - like 10 of them. I guess this is the new year's resolution crowd starting early. We separated the class and the head coach worked with the newbs. jeremy and I worked with the more advanced guys. We worked hand combinations and various partner drills to reinforce them. After class I sparred with a relative newb who was trying to figure out strategies of getting inside of his opponent.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

12 / 6 - gym

the gym was unusually crowded today - I guess the new year's resolution people are starting early here too. Consequently, EVERYTHING was taken, and the stupid jerks spent most of their time talking, so nothing was available. I did manage to snatch the squat rack when someone walked away from it, and spent my time doing squats and later dumbell curls.

squats
    225 x 10 - 2 sets
    345 x 7 - 4 sets

curls
    40 x 8 - 1 set
    55 x 5 - 1set
    45 x 6 - 2 sets

Not to mention that I was short on time. That's okay though, there will be other days...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter