Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Hajime no Seven - the second blog

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    you run in 3 min spurts too?
    not at present.

remember when I boxed w/ that Mexican guy a while back? Running (boxing) 3/1 with him inspired me to try it and I stuck with it for a few months.

now, when I hit a machine, I usually just do 1 up/1 down for either 24 min or 30 min. When I do 24, my goal is to hit 3 miles....methinks I just need to face the facts that I'm not a 17 year old HS cross country runner anymore....

FD, yes, I usually spurt for at least 3 minutes...it's that TCMA semen retention thing doncha know...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist
    Haha, SevenStar is in so much better shape than me it's not even funny

Better endurance
    Better strength (probably... except in pullups)
    Better fighting ability

w00t. Way to go, bro.
    I completely suck at pullups. I'm working on that now.

4/13 - muay thai

last night we reviewed alot of basics - stirking and pad drills. After class, I did 10 rounds of shadowboxing on my own:

2 warm up rounds
    1 round stationary, but focusing on head movement
    3 rounds interval - 15 seconds normal speed, 15 second non-stop punching
    1 round interval - in and out; 15 seconds, forward moving, aggressive, 15 seconds retreating
    1 round interval ali/frazier; 15 seconds aggressive, 15 seconds elusive and circling
    1 round footwork only
    1 round interval - various skills every 15 seconds

I've been training my kid as well, so I had him do the following:
    10 pushups
    30 jumping jacks
    10 burpees
    run in place

then he spent the rest of the time doing footwork drills and about 10 mins hitting focus mitts.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

4/14

unfortunately, today is a running day. I will run 3-4 miles, depending on how I feel...most likely I'll quit at three, just because I think running sucks. I'm teaching a woman I work with as well, so I'll post what I have her do. She's just beginning and isn't in great shape, so we're starting slow.

20 jumping jacks
    5 pushups
    5 burpees
    2 rounds jumping rope

she's working her basics right now - gotta get her stance and punches right, although she does have a decent jab. we spend about 20 mins drilling footwork and 20 mins on the pads. we finish with ab work and stretching.

As for me, I don't know what I'm gonna do tonight - either judo and muay thai, or just three hours of muay thai (participate in class, then train with coach afterward). I'll probably go to judo then train with coach. Either way, I'll post what I did after it's done.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

4/14 - thai boxing

drills. lots and lots of drills. footwork, padwork, shadowboxing and combinations. it seems like for the first half, we concentrated solely on hands, and the second solely on legs. That was cool, as we had a few newbs in class. I ended up doing this the whole time however, and didn't go to judo like I had originally planned.

After the drills, we sparred several rounds - I lost count after a while. I've been wanting to have some local boxing matches, so I spent the sparring time working my hands. I only used kicks if there was an opporunity for a blatant leg kick, like someone leaving way too much weight on the front leg for extended periods - we have a tkd black belt who is notorious for doing that. I tried to work my bobbing and weaving as well.

On another note, I'm going to be taking over the thursday class, as coach's schedule changed. I'll have to alter my judo training - maybe monday and tuesday instead of tuesday and thursday. Only prob is that it will kill my monday night thai training, since the classes are at the same time... I'll work it out one way or another.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

4/15 - gym

today is leg day. My leg days are fairly plain - the only thing I really do are squats. If I feel so inclines, I may add some plyometric work, but typically it's just squats. So, without further ado:

225 X 20 - 1 set
    365 X 5 - 7 sets

that's it - short and sweet. I do plenty of calf exercises in my MA classes, so I typically don't do those either, and deadlifts are done on my pulling days. Tonight is an off night from class, But I will do some stuff on my own tonight.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

4/15 - gym

today is leg day. My leg days are fairly plain - the only thing I really do are squats. If I feel so inclines, I may add some plyometric work, but typically it's just squats. So, without further ado:

225 X 20 - 1 set
    365 X 5 - 7 sets

that's it - short and sweet. I do plenty of calf exercises in my MA classes, so I typically don't do those either, and deadlifts are done on my pulling days. Tonight is an off night from class, But I will do some stuff on my own tonight.
    Geez I can't even squat 365 x 1.

How much are you weighing now?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

235 still. My problem is my diet. I'm resolving to change that though, as I want to drop some pounds.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

4/17 - solo training

Usually, I train on saturday and rest on sun, but

1. I was busy all day
    2. the school was closed because the kempo guys were having some super secret black belt test that non kempo students couldn't see.

On a side note, a mexican grill opened up around the corner from my house that has awesome food and a cute hostess. I went there twice, this weekend alone. I had grilled things - like grilled chicken (although I did try a flauta), but if I can convince them to add more healthy items, that place will become my second home. Anyway, here's what I did yesterday:

Interval running - 2.6 miles

10 rounds of shadowboxing. the first two were standard - punching, headmovement, footwork, etc. The last 8 were the interval variety I described in an earlier post.

In an hour, I've got to meet with the woman I'm teaching, will lift this afternoon and have thai boxing this evening.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

might i ask whats your objective, dude
    Resistance is futile, teh Clerus is done. He awaits for the end aknowledging its presence everyday. When it comes he hopes to feel like being in the womb again.
    I am not here at the forum therefore, got nothing more to say and cannot save anyone (me included).
    I know i can resist for a good while, uknown is the value of while. Impermanence might be the only truth to life.
    Bye, peeps

235 still. My problem is my diet. I'm resolving to change that though, as I want to drop some pounds.
    Still, I don't think I could do 20 reps with 95% of my bodyweight. Wait, that would be 153. I just did 165 x 15 the other day. Maybe I could if I drank a Redbull first. I weigh 162ish right now.

The point is, you're a pretty strong guy. Bring up those pullups and you'll be a total badass.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

IF, you got any links to a pullup program?

4/18 - muay thai

I taught my student today. Had her go over the basics that I've shown her - repeated footwork drills, footwork with punching, jab, cross, hook, etc. I put her through three rounds of shadow boxing and introduced her to ducking. We increased on calesthenics- she did

15 pushups
    12 burpees
    20 calf raises
    2 4 min rounds of jumping rope
    40 jumping jacks

and a few other warmups I had her perform.

As for my training, tonight in class we WORKED. We did several rounds of shadowboxing, the normal calesthenics and plenty of combination drills. Tonight's skill focus was sidestepping and movement, so we did several drills geared toward keeping us moving, but never taking more than two steps backward. Next were some elbow drills and we finished with alot of sparring. During the sparring, I made an effort to work my evasion - side stepping and slipping.

I'm headed to the gym now to lift, so I'll post about it when I return. marian changed the training time on me yesterday - I didn't want to cancel because she's new and I want her to stay in the habit of training, so I missed my lifting yesterday...I'm gonna do that now and miss my running *oh darn*, but I'll likely run tonight after judo.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I agree with IF go for those pull ups.
    Maybe go for a ridiculously small amount first , and then gradually increase over time.

Maybe even do spaced out sets of ridiculously small amounts 2 or 3 reps maybe. You know how much you can manage.

Quote Originally Posted by BibitClerus
    might i ask whats your objective, dude
    just to stay in fighting shape. I want to take on some local boxing matches soon, and more thai matches later this year. judo competitions are pretty much year round.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

So I'm in the gym and I see alex - big, cut russian dude. He does some crazy exercises and I've been meaning to talk to him about his routine. Today, he had on a shirt that said "karate", so on his way back to the lockers, I stopped him: "yo, alex - what style of karate do you train in?" He looks at the shirt and says "I don't train karate, I kickbox. My teacher gave me this shirt." I told him that I train muay thai, and he was like "cool, we'll have to talk when I'm not in a hurry," then he went back to the locker room. Perhaps I've found a new training partner. Anyway, here's what I did

cleans - 135 x 5 - 8 sets
    sumo deads - 315 x 5 - 5 sets
    dumbell bicep curls (my vanity exercise) - 40 x 8 - 3 sets
    pullups - 5,3,3

I had bad luck with the pullup bar today. Tweaked my back on the first set, and on my last set, the padding on the handle somehow ripped a chunk of skin off of my thumb.

I decided that instead of running after judo, I'm gonna run before.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I had bad luck with the pullup bar today. Tweaked my back on the first set, and on my last set, the padding on the handle somehow ripped a chunk of skin off of my thumb.

How odd and bizzarre is that... I ripped skin off my thumb today as well but the injury came from trying to swat a fly on a textured wall too hard and not gauging the power properly...
    incedentally the fly got away