Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Hajime no Seven - the second blog

they say great minds think alike - maybe great MAs have a similar connection?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

How'd you hurt yourself doing pullups?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

d@mn good question... I was just pulling up - maybe my back was arched too much or something, but when I pulled up, my back hurt - felt like I pulled something.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

4/19

had to work late, so I missed judo. I ran three miles however, and did a few rounds of shadow boxing - nothing too major. Tonight is muay thai. I spent alot of yesterday putting together training plans and such, as this will be my first official thursday running the class solo.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

congrats, have a good session.

Iron - I am an expert in 7's lifting and he has done 20 x 275lbs.
    That is all.

^ Nice.

"If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Wha? What did I miss?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

4/20 - thai boxing

last night was pretty good. We did alot of combination work and plenty of sparring. the combinations were based off of the basic 1,2,3 combo and counters. during sparring, I tried to focus on my movement - I'm really trying to perfect my head movement. I was paired with a tkd black belt last night, which was fun. he's about my size and build, but he's got some amazingly fast legs due to his tkd training.

After class, I did a little more work

1 round on the speed bag
    2 rounds of normal shadow boxing
    1 round of shadow boxing with lots of head movement
    2 rounds of the interval normal/speed punching
    2 rounds of ali / frazier style shadow boxing
    2 rounds of nothing but power shots on the heavy bag.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Here's what I'm going to have them doing tonight. keep in mind that the length of amateur rounds is 2 min, so each round is 2 mins. there is also one minute of rest between rounds.

jump rope - 2 rounds, 4 mins a piece
    between rounds, 40 squats, 40 pushups

shadowboxing
    -1 rd. normal
    -1 rd. interval - ali/frazier
    -1 rd interval - normal and speed punching

combinations - 3 rds

skill work - 36 mins

thai pads - 4 rds

sparring - 4 rds

ab work

the skill work tonight will be defense against the teep. I'm going to cover three defenses - shuffling back, parrying and sidestepping. I will then add follow up attacks for each of the defenses.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

4/22

the class went well - everyone enjoyed it and everyone learned something. We all got a great workout too. In addition, I stayed about 45 mins after class ended working with a newb. He has trouble moving his feet and getting his hips into his strikes. That's something I can fix though. Here's what I did in the gym yesterday:

bench press:
    135 x 10 - 2 sets
    265 x 5 - 8 sets
    225 x 7 - 2 sets

dummy military press:
    45 x 7 - 4 sets

dips:
    4 sets of 10

today on lunch, I will do legs. This evening I have to train marian, and I will run 3 miles afterward.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

4/22 - gym

I added ten lbs to my squat, and took my reps down by one:

225 x 20 - 1 set
    375 x 4 - 6 sets
    375 x 5 - 1 set
    315 x 8 - 1 set

my legs are shaking like a teenage boy making out with a girl for the first time. It's the last set of 315 that did it though - I felt solid before that. The set of five on my fourth set - it just seemed a little lighter for some reason. I think that's a sign that I coulda cranked out 5 reps on each set, and I was just being lazy. I'll find out next week.

tomorrow I'm going to get CPR certified. They were talking about wanting to add thai classes to the schedule of stuff they offer (yeah, I would get paid for it) but I gotta be cpr certified first.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

4/23 - the cpr class was cool - wasn't what I thought though - it was more of an intro course. Now, I have to take a certification course. We learned infant, adult and child cpr and also how to use an AED ("CLEAR!!") to shock and de-fibrillate a heart. we also went over heimlich (sp?) techniques.

When I got home, I did some training on my own:

3 mile run
    calesthenics
    several rounds of shadowboxing - I stopped counting at ten. I also train my son today and since my lil brother in law was with us, he joined in....which was a horrible site. He's going on 12 and has the coordination of a dog in an ice rink.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Sevenstar- I took a similar course that covered all of that same stuff. I have a few questions:
    What did you think of how they deal with the baby? I.e. hitting the back and then pushing the fingers into the chest? Seems like it would hurt the baby, eh?

I know you are in the States so I was curious as to if they still call it the Heimlich manuaver? Here it is called abdominal thrusts. The woman that taught the course said it had something to do with the heirs to HEimlich getting sued or something.
    Anyway, not to detract this log, but keep up the good work!
    A unique snowflake

the cpr class was cool - wasn't what I thought though - it was more of an intro course. Now, I have to take a certification course. We learned infant, adult and child cpr and also how to use an AED ("CLEAR!!") to shock and de-fibrillate a heart. we also went over heimlich (sp?) techniques.

WTF? That pretty much sounds like a CPR class to me.