Page 4 of 63 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Hajime no Seven - the second blog

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm
    Sevenstar- I took a similar course that covered all of that same stuff. I have a few questions:
    What did you think of how they deal with the baby? I.e. hitting the back and then pushing the fingers into the chest? Seems like it would hurt the baby, eh?

I know you are in the States so I was curious as to if they still call it the Heimlich manuaver? Here it is called abdominal thrusts. The woman that taught the course said it had something to do with the heirs to HEimlich getting sued or something.
    Anyway, not to detract this log, but keep up the good work!

I think it's fine - they told us to only use two fingers, lightly. I don't think that that will cause any serious damage to an infant. They are so tiny though that you have to ensure you are pressing in the correct spot - they made several points of saying not to press the solar plexus. They also emphasized that the baby be held with his head lower than his feet - seems like that would rush blood to his head unnecessarily, but hey, what do I know?

They did indeed refer to it as the heimlich. Lol, I wouldn't be surpised if they haven't heard about the name changing...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by red5angel
    WTF? That pretty much sounds like a CPR class to me.

Doesn't it... It's part of a greater money making scheme. I coulda sworn that certification used to be free. now, it costs $50. So, in the near future, I'll take a 4 hour class, pass a written test and shell out 50 bucks...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

4/25

my wif'es great grandmother has been doing pretty badly. Tonight, they told us that she will likely not make it through the week. Her family is frantic, so I didn't attend class tonight. I likely will not tonight either. I did do some training on my own though:

jump rope:
    3 four min rds

shadowboxing:
    3 rds normal

interval shadowboxing:
    1 rd ali / frazier
    3 rds speed / normal
    1 rd 1-2 / 3-4
    1 rd jab / cross

interval bodyweight:
    2 rds burpees / lateral jumps
    1 rd burpees / full speed/ power punching
    1 rd - 10 burpees/10 pushups/10 lateral hops/10 punches - repeat for entire round

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

4/26 - gym

I can't decide what I want in my routine, so I keep making slight changes. Today was a pulling day, here's how it went:

power cleans
    145 x 5 - 4 sets
    155 x 5 - 1 set
    165 x 5 - 3 sets

sumo deads
    225 x 5 - 1 set
    315 x 5 - 4 sets
    365 x 5 - 2 sets

one arm dumbell swings
    35 x 10 - 1 set
    50 x 5 - 3 sets

pullups

2 sets of 5

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Best wishes for you and your wife's family....

So why do you pull sumo? Just curious. Is it because it is less lower back?

Thanks, bro.

and yeah, that's what it is. I do regular more often than not though. I only recently started sumo, as regular tends to get to my back after several sets. I've got a twisted lower spine, and it get irritated doing deads.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

You may do this already but you should switch which hand is facing up between sets. I find that taking a big belly full of air and squeezing the abs hard keeps my lower back safe even if I round my back, but my back problems are different from yours.

4/27 - gym / thai boxing

trying a regimen switch again - I'm thinking more in terms of fighting, so I switched the weight training to two full body workouts per week. I will perform plyos twice a week, run at least 4 days a week (2 interval and 2 longer jogs) and continue MA 5 days per week.

cleans
    155 x 5 - 5 sets

pullups
    2 sets of 5

squats
    225 x 20
    315 x 8
    385 x 5 - 5 sets

bench press
    135 x 10
    255 x 5 - 5 sets

dumbell swings
    50 x 8 - 3 sets

deads
    315 x 5 - 5 sets

That night was muay thai. We did worked defenses against the round house and teep. drilled them for a while, did the usual calesthenics and finished with several rounds of sparring. during the sparring, I consciously worked my lead leg roundhouse, which I've noticed is getting faster. I also worked my jab, keeping my distance from the opponent.

After class, I did four rounds of interval shadowboxing, two rounds on the speed bag and two rounds on the heavy bag.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

4/28 - thai boxing

I taught class today. I didn't want to work anything new - I only wanted to sweat... and sweat we did.

jump rope
    2 four min rounds

from there, we went to various stations:

shadowboxing

burpee/speed punching (15 sec interval)

speed bag

heavy bag

we did 2 min rounds at each station, and repeated the entire cycle three times.

Next, we did four rounds of focus mitts which was followed by 3 rounds of neck wrestling. We ended the night with squats and abs.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

4/29 - solo

interval run - 8 rounds

bodyweight/plyos:
    3 minute drills - burpees/lateral hops - 3 sets
    3 minute drills - speed punching/squat jumps - 3 sets

pull ups:
    3 sets of 5

dips:
    3 sets of 10

shadowboxing
    2 normal rounds
    2 speed/normal rounds
    2 ali/frazier rounds

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I love the mass amounts of carenza!

thumbs up!
    strike!

4/30 - training with coach

jump rope - 3 x 4 mins

normal shadowboxing
    ali / frazier shadowboxing
    shadowboxing - head movement emphasis
    interval - speed/normal shadowboxing

pad work
    3 rounds each

sparring
    2 rounds

neck wrestling
    2 rounds

heavy bag
    2 rounds - skill
    1 rounds - power

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

5/2 - thai boxing

tonight in class, we focused on evasion and basic footwork. for the most part, we did alot of floor walking and drilling and as usual, plenty of calesthenics. After class, I spent about 30 mins working with a new guy and then did some stuff with coach:

4 rounds shadowboxing
    2 rounds heavy bag
    1 round speed bag
    2 rounds of plyo/bodyweight stuff:
    - burpees 30 sec / lateral hops for 30 sec, repeat
    - squats for 30 sec / full speed punches for 30 sec, repeat

A few days ago, I posted that my wife's great grandmother was doing badly. Unfortunately, she passed last night.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

5/2 - gym

cleans
    155 x 5 - 5 sets

pullups
    2 sets of 5

squats
    225 x 20
    315 x 8
    390 x 5 - 5 sets

bench press
    135 x 10
    260 x 5 - 5 sets

dumbell swings
    50 x 8 - 3 sets

deads
    315 x 5 - 5 sets

dips
    3 sets of 10

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Sorry to hear about your family's loss.

Just curious, what is ali frazier shadow boxing?
    A unique snowflake