Page 5 of 63 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Hajime no Seven - the second blog

thanks, man.

ali was elusive; frazier was agressive. i set the timer for 2 mins, with a 15 second interval. the first 15 secs, consists of only aggressive shadowboxing - forward movement, attacking and head movement. after the 15 second bell, swtich to a more elusive style - fast footwork, using the jab (and teep in our case) only planting for a second to throw a follow up cross at times, then fight back to the movement and jabbing. when the bell sounds, it's back to frazier style.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

5/4 - thai boxing

tonight we drilled the lead leg roundhouse. entering with it, using it combinations, etc. both varieties - opening the hip and turning it over, and also the switch kick. We drilling counters to these as well. we also worked using the lead roundhouse as a counter to the cross and a rear roundhouse as a reponse to the jab.

There was a woman in class who had never trained before, and she was upset because everything confused her. I told her that if she returned monday, I'd spend the entire class working with her only so that she could pick up on some basic stuff, so I've got a private lesson next week.

In the gym yesterday I was kinda pressed for time, but ran 2 miles.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

GAMBARI IPPO!! err I mean GAMBARI SEVEN!!

5/5 - thai boxing

last night I stressed to the class the importance of the jab, and began to go into detail on it's many uses. Here's what we did last night:

jump rope - 3 x 4 mins
    during the rest, 50 squats and 30 pushups

normal shadowboxing
    ali / frazier shadowboxing
    shadowboxing - in and out (aggress - throw a quick combination, then jab your way back out)
    interval - speed/normal shadowboxing

various calesthenics

skill work - 8 rounds

5-10-5's - 2 rounds

neck wrestling
    2 rounds

we finished it off with 100 crunches, 30 pushups and 50 squats

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

5/6 - weight training

felt weak today, so I didn't try to increase poundages - I performed the same workout I did last session:

cleans
    155 x 5 - 5 sets

pullups
    2 sets of 5

squats
    225 x 20
    315 x 8
    390 x 5 - 5 sets

bench press
    135 x 10
    260 x 5 - 5 sets

dumbell swings
    50 x 8 - 3 sets

deads
    315 x 5 - 5 sets

dips
    3 sets of 10

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

5/7 - thai boxing

jump rope - 3 x 4 mins

normal shadowboxing
    ali / frazier shadowboxing
    shadowboxing - head movement emphasis
    interval - speed/normal shadowboxing

pad work
    3 rounds each

sparring
    2 rounds

neck wrestling
    3 rounds

heavy bag
    2 rounds - skill
    1 rounds - power

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

5/10 - gym

I've come to the conclusion that no matter how far or how often I run, it will always suck and I will always hate it. I need to be like IF and boycot cardio. I logged three miles and hated aevery centimeter of it. I like to run about as much as I like having splinters in my ass...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

5/10 - judo

tonight was an awesome class. We warmed up with calesthenics and went immediately into moving uchi komis the moving uchi komis I decided to work were:

harai goshi
    hiza guruma
    hiza guruma to harai goshi
    de ashi barai to o soto gari

we performed several rounds of this, then went into some kumi kata (grip fighting) and some throw for throw randori - this is basically drilling - you clench and move, just as you would in randori, but you allow your partner to throw you, then you throw him. we performed three rounds of this, then about 7 rounds of randori. I learned a sambo throw that I worked during the throw for throw drills.

we ended class with a couple of drills - ippon seionage to juji gatame and a variation of sankaku jime when your opponent is on all fours. this also left you in position for an americana on your opponent's free arm.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

5/11 - gym

my workout time was limited yesterday, but I was able to squeeze in something. I ended up having to work through lunch, so I tried to get something in before I letf for class.

bench press
    145 x 10 - 1 set
    225 x 10 - 1 set
    275 x 4 - 4 sets
    245 x 6 - 2 sets

pull ups
    8 sets of 2-5

dumbell curls
    40 x 8 - 2 sets
    45 x 5 - 3 sets

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

5/11 - thai boxing

basics, basics, basics. We've had alot of new guys come in lately, so we've decided that we're going to spend alot of time on basics, so we can get the newer guys up to speed. Last night kind of built on my class last week - the jab.we worked variations of the jab, different applications of it, etc. then went into basic defense - parrying and catching. we also did some basic footwork drills.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

hey 7,
    how do you feel about tiredness post-workout nowadays?
    i ask in the sense of, have you gotten used to tough MT workout or your still feel physically destroyed every night? or some few nights?
    do you recall how long it taken you to get used to the basic physical stress of it overall when you began training?
    Resistance is futile, teh Clerus is done. He awaits for the end aknowledging its presence everyday. When it comes he hopes to feel like being in the womb again.
    I am not here at the forum therefore, got nothing more to say and cannot save anyone (me included).
    I know i can resist for a good while, uknown is the value of while. Impermanence might be the only truth to life.
    Bye, peeps

ya know, that's something I've never really experienced in thai, bjj or in judo - and our judo workouts are KILLER. There are times in class where I just want to stop and go home, but a few hours after class, all tiredness is gone. There are guys in class who go through it, but I never really have.

When I get home, I just grab something to eat and turn on the tv or something.
    Last edited by SevenStar; 05-12-2005 at 03:40 PM.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

5/12 - thai boxing

I followed the flow of the earlier classes when I taught tonight - basics. We continued with working the jab. I added a double jab and introduced the cross. we used all of these in combinations and did floor walking exercises to integrate footwork with them. We did a bounch of calesthenics, so we could sweat some - one of the guys referred to me as "the devil" - I think he ended up being one of the physically exhausted guys xeb referred to.

jump rope
    two 4 min rounds
    at the end of round two - 30 squats, 30 pushups

shadow boxing
    3 rounds

pad drills
    12 rounds
    every 2nd round - 30 squats, 30 pushups

floor walking drills
    4 rounds
    after the 4th round - 30 squats, 30 pushups

2 minute interval drill
    15 seconds squats, 15 seconds lateral hops - repeat for round duration

burpees - 20

abs - 100 crunches

next thursday will be all conditioning drills. I will really be hated after that...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    I've come to the conclusion that no matter how far or how often I run, it will always suck and I will always hate it. I need to be like IF and boycot cardio. I logged three miles and hated aevery centimeter of it. I like to run about as much as I like having splinters in my ass...
    Hence the reason I do interval training with a speed rope, or sprint/walk for no more then 5-10 minutes. Not that I'm doing that now or anything, but when I do cardio that's about it, unless there's a precor eliptical and I'm all over that, I just don't have an extra 2 grand to have one in the house.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

yeah, I like the precor ellipticals - dunno if I trust the readings though. It seems like they always tell me I've burned way more calories than I do running the same distance or amount of time, yet the elliptical drains me way less...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter