Page 6 of 63 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Hajime no Seven - the second blog

5/14/05 - thai boxing

tained with coach and another one of the guys. It was basically a sweat day - we ran through a circuit that I use:

shadowboxing
    burpees/pushups
    knees
    speed bag
    heavy bag - kicks only
    the other heavy bag - punching

each round is two mins, and you spend one full round at each station. We run through the complete cycle three times. The buzzer will sound exery 15 seconds, as several of the stations are interval - the shadowboxing is ali/frazier, or any other interval you want it to be. the burpees/pushups interval is self explanatory. For knees, we alternate side knees and skip knees. For punching, it's speed punching, then power punching.

this was preceeded by three 4 minute rounds of jumping rope and some shadowboxing. Usually, we would end with sparring and padwork, but I had to run, as I had to take my kid to a birthday party.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    yeah, I like the precor ellipticals - dunno if I trust the readings though. It seems like they always tell me I've burned way more calories than I do running the same distance or amount of time, yet the elliptical drains me way less...
    Probably because it's less impact.

I don't put much stock in the readings, they are probably somewhat close/accurate, but it sure as hell is much easier on my legs, which is important when you have had a bone removed from one of them.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

5/16 - thai boxing

we had several beginners tonight, so I spent time working with them on their roundhouse kick. The rest of the class drilled thr kick and applications of it, then ended with some sparring. We did several rounds of shadowboxing and some floor walking drills.

After class, I gave a quick session on proper handwrapping and afterward did several rounds on the focus mitts with coach.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

5/17 - gym

today was another busy day, so the workout was abbreviated AND I will most likely miss judo. In the even that I do have to miss it though, I will compensate with some solo training tonight.

bench press
    145 x 10 - 1 set
    275 x 4 - 3 sets
    225 x 7 - 4 sets

squats
    225 x 10 - 1 set
    345 x 8 7 sets

curls
    40 x 8 - 2 sets
    45 x 7 - 2 sets

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

4/17 solo training

the usual warm ups, followed by:

interval bodyweight exercises

pushups - 1 round
    squats / rapid punching- 2 rounds
    jumping jacks / skip knees - 2 rounds

shadow boxing
    normal - 3 rounds
    normal / power - 2 rounds

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    you did pushups for 3 minutes???

wow...

skip knees? as in the thai type knee drill? into your own hands?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

h3ll no... they were interval - 15 seconds of pushups, 15 seconds of rest. repeat for the entire round. the skip knees I do against a wall so that I have something to brace on, that way I can go faster.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    ok, I've done 15/15 but only for 4 sets.

skip knees: gotcha, so basically just like doing them with a partner holding the pad but against the wall.

thanks
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

5/18 - thai boxing

we drillied the roundhouse repeatedly - the kick itself, applications of it, etc. - using it as a counter to a jab, offensive uses... we ran the whole gamut. we finished the night with several rounds of sparring.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

5/19 - thai boxing

The whole goal of the evening was to sweat... that goal was accomplished. The session consisted ot circuit training and sparring:

jump rope - two 4 min rounds

stations:

shadowboxing
    squats/pushups - 15 sec interval
    skip knees
    speed bag
    crunches
    kicks
    punches
    burpees

the circuit was repeated 3 times. This was followed by sparring for the remainder of the night.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

5/19 - gym

this has beena messed up month for weight training. It was another abbreviated workout. Ticked me off so bad That I don't even remember the poindages I pushed. I remember the evercises I did though, so I'll post them:

bench press

cleans

pull ups

squats

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

5/21 - slacking

I've been pretty much sedentary this whole weekend, minus the 2.5 hours I spent both today and yesterday in the park with my kid. We took the frisbee, some pseudo lacrosse stuff and light sabers and have been having a ball. He can't throw a frisbee to save his life, but that'll come in time. We did our normal thai boxing training outdoors since we had the space and opportunity, and I finally found a use for the weapons techniques I learned in my CMA days - teaching him to be a "jedi"... He's become a starwars fanatic since I took him to see clone wars when it came out, and this weekend we saw RotS, so he was enthusiastic about the lightsabers. I don't like banging up my glowing sabers, so I went out and bought a couple of the cheap collapsable ones - mace windu's for me and vader's for him. Funny thing I noticed though is that they don't pay attention to the casings the sabers are in... My blade is mace's color - purple, but the housing for it is actually what the housing of obi wan's is supposed to be...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

5/23 - gym

I put in about 30 mins on the elliptical today. All the treadmills were gone, and I'm not a big fan of exercise bikes.... If I'm biking, I'd rather be moving.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

5/23 - thai boxing

we worked basic defense tonight, with a focus on slipping. I had to work with a new guy - a wrestler who does EVERYTHING with force. I'm trying to tell him to slow down, and he's punching like he's in a street fight. I don't have a problem with it, but he's new and his form sucks, so I was trying to show him the proper way to do it before he sped up. He was also trying to bounce in his stance, which threw off his timing and made his slipping jerky and unnatural. I think I was able to correct the bouncing, but I'm gonna be working on his punches for a LONG time. He also has a habit of throwing his his back whenever he pivots - like he's trying to sprawl or something.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

5/24 - gym

today was a pretty good day at the gym - one of those days where everything just feels good and falls into place. All of my lifts were easy, and I had no back pain on deadlifts.

bench
    155 x 10 - 1 set
    275 x 5 - 4 sets
    255 x 5 - 2 sets
    225 x 7 - 2 sets

cleans
    145 x 5 - 4 sets
    155 x 5 - 3 sets

deads
    225 x 10 - 1 set
    345 x 5 - 6 sets

curls
    40 x 7 - 2 sets
    50 x 5 - 3 sets

squats
    225 x 10 - 1 set
    365 x 5 - 7 sets

swings
    65 x 10 - 1 set

squat presses (dumbell)
    65 x 5 - 1 set

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter