Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Physical appearance and your martial arts teacher

I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing - if he no longer competes or trains as seriously, he will likely have put on weight. However, that doesn't discount his ability to teach you and relay his experience to you. Now, if the guy is fairly young, I may question it, as I'd wonder if he ever did any serious training or competing.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect
    I bet Cus D'Amato got in there and showed Tyson exactly how to bob, weave, and work the heavy bag...
    Okay, you got me there. There's no way in heck that I'd want to take boxing lessons from Tyson either! Yikes!
    Bodhi Richards

I dunno about that YKN.

There are many highly proficient martial artists who are heavy.

Slovenly? No. Heavy? Yes. There's a difference for me.
    Having said that, none of my teachers and training partners have been 'fat'.
    Most of them are either in really good muscular condition or a little on the lean side.

But then, there's sumo. lol, those guys crush other peeps.

consider that the heavy folk are also carrying a lot of weight all the time and the muscles though not defined are very strong.

Heavy and obese folk that are slovenly are just that. Up in teh northern climes a few extra pounds is a good thing to have. Winter is hard and long... like me.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Discipline Your Image
    MTV-Get Off The Air-Now

I was never "attracted" to a teachers physical appearence, what was most important to me was their ability to teach and produce results in their students. This is something that my parents taught me early on.

I knew a few teachers that were not in "good body shape" and could take any and all comers at any time. This was mostly due to their attitude and confidence, had little to do with what shape they were in.

I've seen people of all ages and sizes get and give he!! in fights, it's what they have inside that drives them to be who they are, good or bad.

Look for what's inside.
    USKSF North Region: www.usksfnorth.org

What if your instructor is tiny?

Since someone already beat me to the Sammo Hung reference I'll defer in an opposite direction. My sifu looks every bit of sixteen years old (well, maybe early twenties) but is actually thirty-six. He's a plastic surgeon by trade and also a member of the reserves. He is a madman, working doctor's hours and still finds time to support and nurture his school. He is by far one of the most skilled martial artists I have ever had the honor to meet. Yet, no one would suspect that given his mild mannered, school boy appearance.

I, on the other hand, am six foot three, 250 lbs, sport a six inch goatee and resemble more of a landlocked pirate than anything else. Based on appearance a match between me and sifu would look unfair. No one would understand why I ran quaking with fear, completely oblivious to the yellow and brown stains forming on my uniform.

Another case in point is one of my co-workers at the gym. Rachel is a BodyPump instructor. Sweet, petite curvy brunette. Maybe 5'4" in heels. BodyPump is a muscle endurance based class, so weights are relatively low and reps are high. She regularly squats half again as much weight as I do (and ooh how I hate her for it too...if only she weren't so ****ed cute.)

So my point is size means nothing. I've seen plenty of fat kungfu guys with superior flexibility and speed. I think the only thing a lower body weight offers (speaking as one of the big guys) is a lighter frame that makes performing some of the more athletic moves easier. My sishung is also a little guy (150 lbs.) if I set the gravitron where I'm performing pull ups at 150 lbs I can match him, but I still struggle with more than one or two pull ups at my natural body weight of 250.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho
    If you have trained TCMA all your life and you don't want to get beaten up by a 20 years old guys during your old age then you had better keep your body in good shape.
    which raises a question - what do you think constitutes good shape?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I'm looking for an instructor who likes long walks on the beaches, going to movies or curling up on the sofa and cuddling. They have to be intelligent and have a job too, I'm not gold digger but I know what I like and I like to be treated right.

will you give anal red? I know a couple of Bruces that would be right for you if you'll get eyebrows to the pillow.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

is "bruces" slang for something or do you just know a couple of guys named bruce that like to hit the pooper?

I think his "friend" "bruce" might be a cover for the real person interested.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    will you give anal red? I know a couple of Bruces that would be right for you if you'll get eyebrows to the pillow.
    One of 'em wouldn't happen to be named "David Jamieson" would they?
    Bodhi Richards

looks like the truth slipped through the crack...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

If physical appearance is a good indication of a martial arts instructor then I guess I aught to be learning from a 19 year old muscle head at the local gym.

To think I've been listening to these old, washed up, "masters". Losers.... what the he!! do they know.

The thing is that carrying extra weight is not necessarily a sign of lack of fitness. A recent study showed (unfortunately I cannot give references) that an overweight person who exercised was in better shape than a trim person who did not exercise.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.