Thread: European Kung Fu Tournaments

European Kung Fu Tournaments

Hey all. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any upcoming kung fu tournaments being held in Western Europe in May or June. I’m going backpacking and would like to see some participants from other countries, but I can’t seem to find anything. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
    -M

I haven't heard of any in May or June, but if you stick around for a while longer, there is one in the UK (near Manchester) in September and there is one 6-10. October in Istanbul.

Ger

links and info pls?
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

There's no website I could find for the on in the UK, but apparently its on the 4th September 2005 and the official name is "the Euro Wirral British Martial Arts Open Tournament". This one has been going on for a good few years now.

The website for the tournament in Istanbul is:

http://www.internationalkungfu.com/world_cup.htm

There's not a lot of info on this site, I got an email from them with even less info in it, so maybe contact them directly or wait for them to update their site.

Ger

The IKF...

Yeah, I just got an email from them:

"Dear Kung Fu Masters and Presidents of Kung Fu Organizations,

International Kung Fu Federation (IKF) invites you to IKF competitions starting this year.

We do regret that hitherto many private organizations have used Kung Fu on commercial purposes only. Due to this reason, the real Kung Fu Masters and Kung Fu Organizations have faced difficulties day by day and Kung Fu has not found its real place.

Dear friends, Kung Fu has been abused !!

Hitherto many organizations have held Kung Fu tournaments. But hence each organization will assume the right to hold its own competition as this might assist the promotion of Kung Fu. Each organization presumes incorruptible right to hold an international tournament, an open tournament or a non-open style based tournament together with its members.

Dear Kung Fu Masters and respected Kung Fu lovers, no organization will be allowed to hold a tournament under the name 'World Championships' or 'World Cup' with its 10-20 member countries and wish to ill-treat the IKF National Members and the respected representatives of the international Kung Fu organizations that have joined IKF.

Dear friends, nobody will be allowed to blemish this UNITY.

We draw to the attention of the superiors of all the Sport Authorities and National Olympic Committees worldwide that the Kung Fu tournaments (World Cup and World Championships) will be held by International Kung Fu Federation only.

Sincerely,

IKF Masters Board"

USKSF North Region: www.usksfnorth.org

that's the same one i got...

not sure if I ever heard of them before this mail, and they talk a lot of "politics", but a few days in Istanbul might be nice ;-)

Ger

Yeah, the concept of an international tournament in Istanbul is pretty cool.

It's just when I hear things like:

"no organization will be allowed to hold a tournament under the name 'World Championships' or 'World Cup' "

or

"We draw to the attention of the superiors of all the Sport Authorities and National Olympic Committees worldwide that the Kung Fu tournaments (World Cup and World Championships) will be held by International Kung Fu Federation only. "

That it makes me go hmmmm... sounds like someone is trying to make a power move.

It sounds like this will be yet another international organization that wants to work towards "unity" by separating themselves.

I wish that the current organizations would work more on promoting tournaments at a state and regional level in their respective countries rather than making every tournament a World Cup or Championship.

I wish that the current organizations would work more on promoting tournaments at a state and regional level in their respective countries rather than making every tournament a World Cup or Championship.
    and they talk a lot of "politics",
    That's why I like muay thai and MMA tournaments...
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

Talk to Lioukault, his group usually hold a tournament in Oxford in May.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Akhilleus,

I don't blame you.

The tournament we're putting up is being labelled an Invitational tournament. My idea is that in the near future we are able to run three tournaments here. The first would be an Invitational (like the one we're sponsoring), followed by a State and then Regional.

This is what makes the Brazilians successful in fighting they compete every 2-3 months in their chosen format.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash
    Talk to Lioukault, his group usually hold a tournament in Oxford in May.

That was held last weekend.

If you go to Istanbul, try to find out what the jars of leeches are for? I saw them everywhere but couldnt get anyone to tell me what they were sold for.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?