His videos are all I know of him, and he seems genuine, yet a little too rash with some things. For instance, a lot goes without saying. We know BBC will film a certain way, and we know there will be scripting, and honestly, when I first saw the documentary, I had the thought of a test reenactment, based on the fact that the its known the Temple as been form fitted for teaching and hosting foreign students, so some formalities wont be in effect openly, or at all.
So the monk who was tested, was likely just showing what it was like to be tested IN THAT WAY. doesnt mean that was his test at that time, yet and still, I accepted it in its essence as if it was.
I understand Ranton was respond to critics, something dont need highlighting tho, and still I took his so-called evaluation as a positive, because he didnt leave room for the people in his comments to bash Shaolin in any shape or form. I respect him for that.

With Shaolin in the media, I have my own opinions.
the jist of it is, I'm in favor of spreading Shaolin ChanWuYi, in any form, as the result is only always good.

Im not so in favor of pointing out every time Shaolin puts on its "show"m for the reason that nowadays, thats just how things are spread through the popular culture and media.
so to jump up at Shaolin every time an appearance is made in the media and say "hey thats for show" or "its not really that ancient anymore" or "thats not real zen" or "thats not real fighting" etc....is so lame to me, especially when you dont see MMA fighters beatin down the doors at every WWE event/filming to "expose" its abuse of true wrestling/grappling culture.
pffffttttt.......

it almost seems purposely pessimistic and overly cynical like people have some inherent fear of Vajrapani (Jingang Shou) lol, like they got smacked generations ago by the hand of Buddha personally and wont loose the grudge lol .....either way I take any appearance made by Shaolin on major media platforms, especially those appearances that glorify its mysitque and bring out that certain nostalgia that only Shaolin can express , as a big ol fat win for Shaolin.

in reflection, what do people want anyway?
why would Shaolin or BBC allow a show of a poor performing monk, or failing student anyhow? like what do the people in the comments want to see, a student get beat, yelled at and told they have to study for a decade before thinking about becoming wuseng? ..then they should go apply for the experience.
and then once theyre ready, tell them you have to pass through mighty dashanmen without a bruise, or wait 5 years to be tested again lol....they dont heave the heart or patience for it obviously, not even in speculation or observation can they perceive that reality..... so I dont know why they bother bashing or questioning every glimpse they get of the Shaolin culture, scripted or spontaneous.

I'm looking forward to more good looks for Shaolin in cinema and in documentaries as the growth is needed for the world and is inevitable.

Amituofo!