Thread: Shaolin Temple Documentaries

Threaded View

Shaolin Temple Documentaries

I’m currently editing a documentary about the Shaolin Temple and have been searching for any good documentaries that has footage of the Shaolin Temple pre-1990's. Most of the docs I've seen were made fairly recently, it seems like the most "old school" doc I've seen is “Shaolin Kung Fu” (Shaolin Zhen Gongfu) with monk Shi De Yang. I'm particularly interested in finding footage during the period before and after the Jet Li Shaolin Temple movie came out.

So far, the documentaries I have watched are:
    -Shaolin Kungfu (Shaolin Zhen gongfu)- doc. with Jet Li and Shaolin monks. Memorable scene of Shi Xing Cheng doing iron palm slapping 4 bricks, which only cracks the top one, but actually all 4 are broken down the middle.
    -This is Kung Fu- doc. of gongfu throughout China
    -Secrets of the Warrior's Power- good general doc about gongfu
    -Myths and Logic of Shaolin Kungfu- Recent National Geographic doc.
    -The Empty Mind- Good doc. Recently made about training at Shaolin, Wudang & Japan.
    -Shaolin Ulysses- Zhang Li Peng's dad’s section has a bit of info.
    -Shaolin Wheel of Life- short doc in extras section.
    -French doc- “Mysterious powers of the Shaolin monk”, has footage of young Shi De Cheng and Wan Heng europe performance tour.
    -Discovery Channel- “Ancient warriors” episode about Shaolin.
    -Shaolin Temple w/Jet Li- not a doc but useful nonetheless.
    -Dragons of the Orient- no comment
    -Real Chinese Kung Fu- 1964 b/w footage of masters in Taiwan.

If you know of any other docs dealing with Shaolin, Especially pre-90’s please let me know.

Thanks,
    Alexander
    Last edited by hanguolaohu; 03-12-2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Removed e-mail address to avoid spam