Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Temple Documentaries

does lueb have to come out and show that he can do the two finger handstand too? or should i jsut keep it a secret for many years?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

There is some footage of good few finger stuff on that extreme qigong vid...
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Let me clarify three things...

Firstly, I do beleive that Hai Deng could do a one finger handstand. I'm just not convinced he did one for that documentary.

Second, the Extreme Kungfu Qigong DVD does have some amazing two finger handstands - you even get to see them go up.

Third, there will be absolutely no more "coming out" for lueb. We all remember the horror of his sports bra incident and we don't want any repeats of such behavior.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

David Carradine etc.

I heard about David Carradine visiting Shaolin. I'm actually watching the Kung Fu TV series on DVD at this moment. I figured I better be familiar with the series since it was such a big hit, and affected America's perception of Kungfu and Shaolin. I can only say that it's interesting. I have a critical eye towards anything claiming to be "traditional" or "authentic", but I'm just observing and trying to see the good points of the series. I can see how the wisdom and insight was exotic, there was probably nothing like that on TV at the time. I gotta watch the "making of" special feature to hear more about David Chow, sounds like an interesting guy, and I'm curious about his "Kung-Fu - History- Philosophy and Technique" book.

Gene, thanks for the doc suggestions. Perhaps they show how Shaolin culture can spread and perhaps develop to the point of kitsch. Anyway, it's good to know, as Shaolin has all kinds of facets, both beautiful and ugly.

Hanguolaohu

Chow's book is a good primer for any novice looking to get into Kungfu.
    It doesn't go into detail in much, in particular the technique stuff so I wouldn't be looking forward to learning a lot from it.

But if you know squat from point A, it's a decent ditty.

I'm off to do some handstands.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Shaolin kitsch

hanguolaohu, you came to Shaolin after most of the kitsch was purged. You should have seen it in the mid 90's. The village was crazy with kitsch. There were all sorts of cheesy attractions from house of horrors, to mummies, to full-auto rifle ranges, to my personal fav, the roller coaster simulator. It's relatively tame now.

Chow's book is a little dated now, but it did set a lot of precedents. It was one of the more comprehensive books of its day and is still relevant. That being said, there aren't many books that try to be that comprehensive.

Speaking of Carridine, what a fine time to plug our new grasshopper shirt.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shaolin kitsch

True, the hardcore kitsch of Shaolin village is gone. Alas. Interesting how most tourists would deplore the place, and say that it detracted from the temple's "peaceful" atmosphere. Ironic how the people who trained Shaolin, sweated, ate bitter, and lived the Shaolin life loved the novelty of "Shaolin Land". I guess its success was due to it being anything but Shaolin, it was an escape from the rigid lifestyle of Gongfu.

Actually, I witnessed the destruction when it happened. By then, the village had the death knell hanging over its head, so it lost it's spirit, but at least I can tell my grandkids, "yes, indeed, there was a village near Shaolin, and my friend Gene would yell at the top of his lungs riding on the Roller Coaster simulator".

Don't worry, for all you folks who still haven't had the chance to visit Shaolin. There's still plenty of kitsch in China waiting for your amusement. Just check out Doc's site.

Hanguo Laohu

The Abbot CEO of Shaolin

I konw you already know about this, hanguolaohu, but in the interest of keeping this thread vital, there's a new documentary that is playing on Discovery Asia titled The Abbot CEO of Shaolin - it's reported to be short, but well done. Despite it's title, it puts Abbot Shi Yongxin in a positive light. It also discusses an upcoming Taiwan project - a TV cartoon about Shaolin. If anyone gets access to either of these, let us know here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    Third, there will be absolutely no more "coming out" for lueb. We all remember the horror of his sports bra incident and we don't want any repeats of such behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Isn't disney doing something shaolin soon? Like a snow white thing.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Snow White and the Seven Shaolin monks

MK recently did one of his "post link and delete" about the Snow White project here. MK, maybe it would be more archival for you to just post a running thread of MK links - some of those deleted threads contain great resources...

It's actually been a project that has been in discussion for years, at least since 2002 - I thought that was a joke at first, but it continues to come up and with the announcement last week, is looking more and more firm. I'm hoping I'll get contacted for the part of Dopey - he gets kissed the most and has the best fight scenes...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    MK recently did one of his "post link and delete" about the Snow White project here. MK, maybe it would be more archival for you to just post a running thread of MK links - some of those deleted threads contain great resources...
    Impermanence is liberation.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 07-11-2005 at 11:33 AM.

After meeting both of you at TJL, I could see as MK as oh, nevermind, I won't bring up that stupid sitdown stance again, and well, Gene, with that smug grin... yeah dopey might do you well...

Actually, the disney version might have as much fact in it as some of these other documentaries.
    practice wu de

Abbot CEO of Shaolin

Again, if anyone sees this "Abbot CEO of Shaolin" doc, please record it as I'd love to get a copy.

Thanks,
    Hanguo laohu

p.s. Gene, what'd you think of that Star Wars / Shaolin doc I sent you?

shouldn't that be the bodisattva of virtue v. the seven drunken immortals?