Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Temple Documentaries

Quote Originally Posted by hanguolaohu
    Again, if anyone sees this "Abbot CEO of Shaolin" doc, please record it as I'd love to get a copy.

Thanks,
    Hanguo laohu

p.s. Gene, what'd you think of that Star Wars / Shaolin doc I sent you?
    Yes I did. I've also got copies of shaolin from discovery channel and personal interviews with monks on my video cam.

me? smug?

norther practitioner: Dopey does get kissed the most so that's plenty reason to be smug. And Snow White only kisses six dwarves goodbye at the end - what happened to the seventh? It's one of the great mysteries of Disney...

hanguolaohu: I didn't recieve it yet - when did you send it?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

National Geographic doc

Here's a clip of the National Geographic Channel Doc - I haven't seen the full version of this - anyone know more about it? I'm not even sure what language those subtitles are in...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thanks hanguolaohu!

I saw The Science of Star Wars and I must say, it's way up there amongst the weird Shaolin Documentaries. Shaolin Monks spliced between Star Wars scenes, military tech, and George Lucas interviews? That's just wacky. And I thought the David Carradine one was bizarre.

Anyone got a copy of Abbot CEO of Shaolin? I still haven't seen that one.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Abbot CEO and Shaolin Discovery Doc

Hi Vasquez,

Can you PM me your contact info? Interested in seeing those docs.

Thanks,
    HL

Quote Originally Posted by hanguolaohu
    I’m currently editing a documentary about the Shaolin Temple and have been searching for any good documentaries that has footage of the Shaolin Temple pre-1990's. Most of the docs I've seen were made fairly recently, it seems like the most "old school" doc I've seen is “Shaolin Kung Fu” (Shaolin Zhen Gongfu) with monk Shi De Yang. I'm particularly interested in finding footage during the period before and after the Jet Li Shaolin Temple movie came out.

So far, the documentaries I have watched are:
    -Shaolin Kungfu (Shaolin Zhen gongfu)- doc. with Jet Li and Shaolin monks. Memorable scene of Shi Xing Cheng doing iron palm slapping 4 bricks, which only cracks the top one, but actually all 4 are broken down the middle.
    -This is Kung Fu- doc. of gongfu throughout China
    -Secrets of the Warrior's Power- good general doc about gongfu
    -Myths and Logic of Shaolin Kungfu- Recent National Geographic doc.
    -The Empty Mind- Good doc. Recently made about training at Shaolin, Wudang & Japan.
    -Shaolin Ulysses- Zhang Li Peng's dad’s section has a bit of info.
    -Shaolin Wheel of Life- short doc in extras section.
    -French doc- “Mysterious powers of the Shaolin monk”, has footage of young Shi De Cheng and Wan Heng europe performance tour.
    -Discovery Channel- “Ancient warriors” episode about Shaolin.
    -Shaolin Temple w/Jet Li- not a doc but useful nonetheless.
    -Dragons of the Orient- no comment
    -Real Chinese Kung Fu- 1964 b/w footage of masters in Taiwan.

If you know of any other docs dealing with Shaolin, Especially pre-90’s please let me know.

Thanks,
    Alexander
    hanguolaohu-shaolin@yahoo.com
    Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I have a BBC documentary about Shaolin that was aired several years ago, that I was lucky enough to tape, as it has never been repeated or made commercially available (probably locked away in the BBC archives). The basic idea being to look at how the age-old traditions of Shaolin is facing up to the challenge of modern China... the old Religion vs. Mammon debate etc etc. Running time 50 minutes (no commercial breaks).

Anyway, the documentary focuses on the handsome & charismatic Shaolin senior monk, De Yang.

We see De Yang teaching & demonstrating kung fu with his students (and chastising them gently for getting their moves wrong), doing his routine early morning physical exercises, going about his religious activities, accepting a young novice monk as his formal disciple in an initiation ceremony, visitors bowing to him on their knees in awe (he very humbly tells them to stand up), etc etc.

There is also an interview section with him (English subtitles) - he talks about how quick the pace of modern life is, how he can channel chi energy to makes his arm rock hard (he demonstrates this), how he became a Shaolin monk, how he was taught kungfu by his teacher [Su Xi] - he laughingly recalls how his teacher was very strict with him and would whack him if he wasn't up to scratch.

The documentary finishes with him performing the ?Xiao Hongquan routine among the stupa forest of Shaolin. Totally awesome.

I'll dig it out and try to post some stills of him from it.

okay... ScreenPics (45kb)

(l-r from top):
    De Yang at religious ceremony
    "So people always think the inner force is incredible"
    "Then if I couldn't do it my Master got a stick..."
    De Yang at prayer
    De Yang demonstrating a move
    De Yang accepting kowtow from his disciple
    De Yang meditating at dawn
    De Yang high kicking
    De Yang performing a Shaolin kungfu routine (Oh, on seeing it again I think it might actually be DaHong Quan)

Riding Rails in China

I caught this program on PBS last night. Here's the program description from the PBS site:
    Part 1 of two. Two Americans are accompanied on their first tour of China. Their trek begins in Beijing and ends in Guangzhou. Stops include the Great Wall, the Pearl River Delta, the Forbidden City, the Shaolin Temple and the Yellow River.
    Here's a link to the production website with pics.
    Catch a train with young American travelers Chris Gould and Nick Russell as they embark on their first trip to China. Follow their journey across the country, starting in the stately northern capital of Beijing and ending over a thousand miles south in cosmopolitan Guangzhou. From the Great Wall to the Pearl River Delta, they ride through the country’s changing landscape on good old Chinese locomotives. Armed with cameras and a sense of curiosity, they stop en route to meet locals in traditional neighborhoods, eager university students, entrepreneurial southern farmers, and hardworking migrant laborers. Touched by their many encounters, these adventurous travelers uncover the changing face of an ancient and emerging nation. They explore the Forbidden City, step-up their kung-fu at the Shaolin Temple, cross the Yellow River, and feast on delicacies at night markets. Will Chris eat fried scorpion-on-a-stick? Will Nick learn how to use chopsticks? Join them as they discover China’s extraordinary landscapes, communities, cuisine, and a little something about themselves along the way.
    In part one, the couple goes to Shaolin and there's about a 15 min segment on it. It's from a tourist perspective. The two Americans know nothing of kung fu (and surprisingly little about China) but it shows snippets of a demo in the Songshan Shaolin Wushuguan. What really caught my eye is that there was a one-armed wuseng there. I found that really intriguing and would love to find out more about him. China is hard on anyone with a disability.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Today Show

So I hear that the Today Show will have a short segment on Shaolin Temple some time next week. I'm not sure exactly when. I think towards the end of the week. They have a correspondent in Beijing who is touring around China doing little spots for the show. My guess is that it's in honor of Chinese New Year.

I was interviewed for this as a 'Shaolin authority' a few days ago. The set was really noisy, so we had to do multiple takes of the same answers to try and get clean sound. That was really challenging on my end because I'm not that great of a public speaker, and frankly, it's really weird to get interviewed for national television. You try to answer the question naturally, but you keep thinking inside your head 'did that sound ok?' I'm very eager to see how it will come out. My spot might not even make it past the cutting room floor, but the show producer went to a lot of trouble to film me, so I'm optimistic that it'll make it to broadcast.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Here is a documental i found in this site:

www.shideyang.com

The documental is around 1995 and there is a part where Master Shi De Cheng's SiFu performs a little.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...52114764&hl=en

Enjoy.

The Today Show segment

It finally aired yesterday. I was cut. Go to the Today Show site and click the 'next' button a dozen plus times to see it. It's short.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    It finally aired yesterday. I was cut. Go to the Today Show site and click the 'next' button a dozen plus times to see it. It's short.
    Sorry to hear that. I know I would have been interested to hear what you had to say.

Now I've been in the kitchen. It's kind of disturbing in an unsanitary sort of way.
    lol I can't agree more. Eating at Shaolin was the worst dining experience i've had to date. There was more dirty food on the ripped cellophane table cloth than in my bowl. It was school dinners but worse.

But then again, cant beat scrambled eggs and tomatos when you're freezing cold

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot View Post
    But then again, cant beat scrambled eggs and tomatos when you're freezing cold

Craig
    ****, I devoured plates of scrambled eggs, white rice, tomatoes, and scallions if they had them...that snapped me back in time right there.

Ancient Warriors - The Shaolin Documentary

Ancient Warriors of Shaolin. not great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_dtfo9JuM0s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tq8csy7Gb8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFIsqDyFAaU

More

Shaolin Kung Fu Documentary

National geographic, The Shaolin Temple

Shaolin Kungfu Is Great

The Empty Mind - Shaolin Temple Warrior Monks

Donnie Yen - Kung Fu Fighters

Shaolin Journey

Ways to train Kungfu masters at Shaolin Temple (Part One)
    Ways to train Kungfu masters at Shaolin Temple (Part Two)
    Ways to train Kungfu masters at Shaolin Temple (Part Three)

Discovery. Good One!
    How Shaolin Temple trains Kungfu in Europe (Part 1 of 5)
    How Shaolin Temple trains Kungfu in Europe (Part 2 of 5)
    How Shaolin Temple trains Kungfu in Europe (Part 3 of 5)How Shaolin Temple trains Kungfu in Europe (Part 4 of 5)
    How Shaolin Temple trains Kungfu in Europe (Part 5 of 5)

Kongfu Monk from China's Shaolin perform in New York(1 of 5)
    Kongfu Monk from China's Shaolin perform in New York(2 of 5)
    Kongfu Monk from China's Shaolin perform in New York(3 of 5)
    Kongfu Monk from China's Shaolin perform in New York(4 of 5)
    Kongfu Monk from China's Shaolin perform in New York(5 of 5)

Myths & Logic Of Shaolin Kung-Fu (Part 1 of 5)
    Myths & Logic Of Shaolin Kung-Fu (Part 2): Kongfu for kids
    Myths & Logic Of Shaolin Kung-Fu (Part 3 of 5)
    Myths & Logic Of Shaolin Kung-Fu (Part 4 of 5)
    Myths & Logic Of Shaolin Kung-Fu (Part 5 of 5)

Chinese Kongfu Series: Wudang Style Wushu Combat (Part 1/5)
    Chinese Kongfu Series: Wudang Style Wushu Combat (Part 2/5)
    Chinese Kongfu Series: Wudang Style Wushu Combat (Part 3/5)
    Chinese Kongfu Series: Wudang Style Wushu Combat (Part 4/5)
    Chinese Kongfu Series: Wudang Style Wushu Combat (Part 5/5)

Raiders of the Lost Kung Fu 1
    Raiders of the Lost Kung Fu 2
    Raiders of the Lost Kung Fu 3
    Raiders of the Lost Kung Fu 4
    Raiders of the Lost Kung Fu 5

Way of the Warrior - Kung Fu, the Hard Way [1/4]
    Way of the Warrior - Kung Fu, the Hard Way [2/4]
    Way of the Warrior - Kung Fu, the Hard Way [3/4]
    Way of the Warrior - Kung Fu, the Hard Way [4/4]
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE