Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Temple Documentaries

Two more Chinatown DVDs

I saw these in S.F. Chinatown - I almost bought them (cheap at about $10 per) but I didn't. Still a little low on dough postXmas...

Songshan Shaolin Temple - documentary by Gen Takahashi. Nice box.

Shaolin in the Wind - vid of the live stage show. We covered that in Kung Fu Ballet: The Tentative Debut of China’s New Show, Shaolin in the Wind By August West 2005 May/June
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Nat Geo vid on MySpace

It's the same vid as posted above, but I'm now curious how much NG had to pay for that promo. MySpace is an interesting choice for their ad buck for this.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well, here's an oversight

After starting this thread, Alex never added his own documentary. It has it's own thread, of course, but it needs to be added here too, for archival sake.

The Real Shaolin by Alex Sebastian Lee

I actually came on here to add another doc that I caught just by chance on PBS last night (I skipped the Shaolin vs. Maori episode of Deadliest Warrior because I don't have cable)

Catch this on your local PBS station.
    Kung Fu Journey to the East
    60-Minute Documentary (2006; airing now)

Explore the world of martial arts in China on a journey with two American Kung Fu students. Masters of China’s most renowned martial arts schools will share their knowledge and wisdom with these two determined learners. Instruction will provide a deeper understanding of this ancient Chinese philosophy and tradition, which combines exercise, self-defense, self-discipline, and art.

In this two-week journey, Kristi Jordan and Adam McArthur study a variety of martial arts forms, from Taiqi—a softer, internal martial art typical of Wudang Mountain— to harder, external styles attributed to the Shaolin Temple. How do Kung Fu classes in the U.S. prepare them for this challenge to mind, body, and spirit? Does a visit to the origins of this 1,500-year-old tradition and lessons with Chinese Masters affect their performance and increase their devotion to Kung Fu practice? This feature-length documentary will shed light on these questions, and provide depth and perspective to this ancient, but increasingly popular art form.
    Note that this is the same production crew that did Riding the Rails in China mentioned earlier on this thread. It's an Oakland-based company, total five&dime local as we say here.

Since it's only a two-week journey and it covers Beijing, Wudang, Emei & Shaolin, only a little time is spent for the practitioner protagonists. They have to travel, train and visit the tourist sites, which leave only a short time for them to really absorb anything, so their evening hotel cam comments are rather fawning about the experience. I'm sure anyone on such a tour would have a great trip, and it seems that Kristi and Adam have the time of their lives, but dynamically, it comes off as more of a video postcard than anything else. It's not very penetrating. That being said, it does feature some luminaries. They have a short audience with Abbot Shi Yongxin, who sells them on the idea that the monks meditate for 15 hours each day, and train under Shi Yanao and Shi Yanzhuang, who were just here for Shaolin Temple Day. They also meet with Wu Bin, who has pledged to come to our Tiger Claw’s KungFuMagazine.com Championship (shameless plug there).

But still, I'm guessing my time was better spent watching this than watching Deadliest Warrior...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm not sure this is actually concerning Shaolin Temple

It's a new doc with Shaolin in the title. Perhaps someone can research Ehsan Shafiq a little more? I started watching some YouTube vids (he has his own channel) but lost interest.
    Documentary Accepted into London Independent Film Festival!
    Posted by VMproductions on Saturday, 27 March 2010

VMproductions are pleased to announce that our Documentary 'Ehsan Shafiq: Afghan Shaolin' have been accepted into the London Independent Film Festival 2010!

Ehsan Shafiq: Afghan Shaolin

"Kung Fu Master Ehsan Shafiq: Born in Kabul, Afghanistan he won numerous accolades but success also brought upon him danger. After several threats on his life and the war, he sought asylum in the UK and rebuilt his life"

Watch Ehsan in Action on his YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/EhsanShafiq

For more information on the Festival see the link below:
    http://www.londonindependent.org/index.htm

What a week for VMproductions!!!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Little Shaolin Monks

I saw this at Walmart many moons ago. I debated picking it up as it was only a few bucks in the discount bin (like everything else at Walmart ) but I didn't. Now you can see it for free online, but I just don't have the time. Maybe one of you can watch it and review it.
    Watch 'Little Shaolin Monks' Online Now
    * May 21, 2010
    * By: Jason Newman

In 1996, I went to Lollapalooza at Randall's Island, NY to see a lineup that included Soundgarden, Metallica, The Ramones and Wu-Tang Clan. One of the lesser-known, but equally enthralling, acts on the bill were the Shaolin Monks, a group of Buddhist Monks known primarily for their acrobatic style of martial arts and seemingly inhuman threshold for pain. Watching the monks was mesmerizing; a mix of graceful beauty and "How-can-they-stand-a-metal-pole-pounding-against-their-back?" bemusement.

So when we heard that SnagFilms posted 'Little Shaolin Monks,' a documentary detailing the lives of the group's pre-teen subset, we had to watch immediately. The film documents the lives of the kids, age 6 to 12, and the strenuous and disciplined training process they must endure daily (which includes strict diet, prayer sessions, and countless hours of martial arts training).

'Little Shaolin Monks' showcases a group of children unlike any other in the world and demands to be seen.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Path to Shaolin

Alright, one of you Canadians must watch this and tell us how it is. What is VisionTV? Is it a large network?
    Documentary follows a Canadian's quest to become part of a martial arts tradition
    Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 08:50 PM
    Vision TV

Soft-spoken and unassuming, with boyish good looks and a ready smile, Tim Mrazek seems like the kind of average Joe you'd expect to meet at Canadian Tire or a junior hockey game. Except that he's also a 32nd generation Shaolin warrior monk.

The Path to Shaolin, an hour-long documentary airing in July on VisionTV, is the story of how an ordinary guy from the Canadian prairies becomes part of an ancient Zen Buddhist tradition - and of how that tradition itself is evolving and changing in the 21st century.

VisionTV presents The Path to Shaolin on Tuesday, July 6 at 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT. The film repeats on Wednesday, July 7 at 12:30 a.m. ET / 9:30 p.m. PT.

The Path to Shaolin is part of a series of VisionTV documentary and feature film presentations, airing in honour of the Dalai Lama's 75th birthday, that explore different aspects of Buddhist faith and culture.

Nestled in the forests near Mount Shaoshi in the heart of central China, the 1,500-year-old Shaolin Temple is considered the birthplace of kung fu. Its famous warrior monks are a fascinating paradox: while dedicated to the pursuit of enlightenment, compassion and inner harmony, they also practice the most lethal of martial arts.

Tim Mrazek discovered kung fu the way most North American kids do: watching Bruce Lee movies. Powerfully drawn to this ancient art, he went on to study for years with Sifu Chi Wai Lee, a monk whose family has been associated with the Shaolin Temple for five generations. Today, Tim is a martial arts instructor and naturopath in Regina, Saskatchewan.

As the documentary opens, Tim is on his way to Toronto for the discipleship ceremony that will mark the beginning of his life as a Shaolin monk. After this rite of passage, he will accompany Sifu Lee on a pilgrimage to the Shaolin Temple in China - a journey that will lead to unexpected discoveries.

Kung fu was banned during the Cultural Revolution. But with the Chinese government now relaxing its restrictions on religious freedom, there has been a flowering of many long-suppressed spiritual practices - including traditional martial arts.

Still, not all is as it was. The Shaolin Temple itself has become a tourist destination, and martial arts educators - adopting the language of the new, economically dynamic China - speak of bringing "modern marketing techniques" to Shaolin kung fu. Increasingly, it seems, the ancient discipline is becoming divorced from its spiritual roots.

As a Westerner, Tim Mrazek is uncertain whether he can find acceptance in the world of Chinese kung fu. In the course of his pilgrimage, he will learn that his own search for a place in this tradition is deeply entwined in the larger, more complex question of what the future holds for the ancient brotherhood of Zen Buddhist warrior monks.

The Path to Shaolin was produced for VisionTV by Regina-based Zoot Pictures Inc (www.zootpictures.com). It was written, directed and produced by Leif Kaldor and R. Leslea Mair. Joan Jenkinson was the Executive Producer for VisionTV.

To learn more about Tim Mrazek and the Shaolin kung fu tradition, visit the online home of Regina's Chung Wah Kung Fu Centre: www.kungfuregina.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Spider Eaters, Kung Fu Monks, and Vampire Bats

Spider Eaters, Kung Fu Monks, and Vampire Bats
    Friday July 23 7P Friday July 23 6P Friday July 23 5P Friday July 23 4P

From bike stunts, to edible spiders, to alligator eating snakes, National Geographic is taking you on an adventure to explore our sometimes wacky, often whimsical, always wild, wonders of the world.

I'm told this features Shi Yanran's group. Given that the backdrop is the Golden Gate Bridge, that seems likely. I've also been contacted about an upcoming story on Shaolin to run in NG from both NG and Justin. My understanding is Justin is not involved. More to come on that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

An Idiot Abroad

I saw this. It was amusing, mostly because Pilkington is really funny with his comic timing.

An Idiot Abroad: China: Episode Highlights: Video
    Sky1 HD: Thu 02 Dec, 9PM

Karl Pilkington learns about calligraphy, Kung Fu, and fire massage - includes a sneak peek at the next episode - India!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shaolin docu from england

Dear members,

Years ago i gues it whas 2004 or 2005 i'v seen on the local tv a shaolin docu.
    Special Shi De Yang whas allmost 80% in this docu thalking about shaolin kung fu with he's master.

But never found this docu or diddent seen it somewhere to buy or to get in any chance.

Does somebody know who made it or if its available somewhere.
    The docu whas very interesting for me, it also made me study shaolin KF.

Thanks in advance.

Here a small scene out of this docu.

http://www.shaolindisciples.net/sdylowres.wmv

Thanks again.

I think this one has been branded with a couple of different names as it was edited and distributed all over.

Shi De Yang is pretty young in it, so it's been more than 5 or 6 years since this was made.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

This particular documentary was filmed in 1995. However, only this fragment of it is still around to my knowledge.

This thread is officially ridonculus now. lol

The collective merge sea has it now...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Wu Gu Lun Documentary

http://vimeo.com/18911353

http://vimeo.com/5304872

http://vimeo.com/4900697

Lots of stuff from Wu Nan Fang. Have fun

Kind regards,
    Cyrill

Thumbs up

Thanks for this. The movement of the Wu Gu Lun guys is truly beguiling. My Shaolin is pretty hard so its interesting to see an alternate approach to the art.

Shi Xinghong on Guangdong Today

I caught an odd segment featuring Shi Xinghong's work with the Hungarian police on late night on Guangdong Today. I couldn't find an episode guide for Guangdong Today, but here's Xinghong's website.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips