Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Temple Documentaries

About the Documentary with shi deyang maybe its this one?

It aired on swedish tv in 1998 and its only in swedish exept when they talk mandarin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTHkiD2PMkc

Quote Originally Posted by Crosshandz View Post
    Thanks for this. The movement of the Wu Gu Lun guys is truly beguiling. My Shaolin is pretty hard so its interesting to see an alternate approach to the art.
    Yeah I know, but after seeing this it explained me something what my body was already telling me. Namely after all this "harder" training, I also should ad some softness to it and the results are interesting. And that opens another gate, where I see even more and more training I have to do, to get anywhere close to acceptable, so still much to do

Kind regards,
    Xian

lots of hard work.

First time I hear of this style. Thank you for sharing the link..

Shaolin Documentary

Greetings,

This documentary played in NYC Chinatown way back when. Here it goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMkz7...eature=related

mickey

ShaolIn Temple Documentary

Hello all,

I'v been searching for this documentary for quite a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmYPDNXEkYo

The year of this docu is arround 1995, but I dont know title of it.
    In that year i'v seen it on our local tv channel here in my country.
    I recorded to tape but this tape is broken and not possible to repair anymore.

But the docu itself whas very interesting for me.
    I found it on youtube the full version of it, but quallity issent that.
    So i hope to know something more about this docu.

I emailed the tv channel that had broadcasted that dopcu but they could not give me a copy either. And they said it whas original from BCC or CNN.

Anyone can help me on it?

Thanks in advance,
    Hanak

What is it you would like to know? Are you just looking for a better quality version? I've not actually seen one.

I was watching this with Shi Deyang last year on a netbook as we were going over the beads set. From his memory he said it was of French production.

That's about all I know, but perhaps it can help narrow your search.

All info about this docu is welcome.

What I like to know is to begin with, the original title and the people or company who made it. Actually so much information possible.

Thx to tell me that is made from a french company, maybe its a step further.
    I contacted a few people in my country to check if they now more from this docu or not.

And yeah i'm looking for a better quallity then the version on youtube.
    But its very rare I gues.

I don't think I've seen that one, Hanak

I only watched the first few minutes, however. Sorry.

BTW, I've been meaning to post this for some time now. I talked to Andre's mom, Margot, at CMAT. She had a booth right next to ours. There's a QT trailer if you follow the link.

A Boy in China

Andre, an eight year old American boy has just one dream: to be a Kungfu master like Jackie Chan. When he gets the chance to enter the legendary Shaolin Temple, his father takes the heartbreaking decision to follow his son to China. While father and son face the unknown together, the mother they left behind now faces life without her family. Watch this real-life drama unfold as an American family takes on China's elite Kungfu schools!

All three members of the family, husband, wife and son now face their own unique set of challenges along this martial arts journey. When Andre arrives at the Shaolin Temple he quickly realizes that to survive he will need more than his martial arts skills. As the only foreigner among 5,000 Chinese boys he needs to learn to speak Mandarin… and fast! Even more frustrating, Andre was a top Kungfu competitor in America while in China he is now placed at the bottom and must work his way back to the top! Can he make the grade and literally fight his way to the top of his class? As months turn into years, the parents strength and resolve to make their son’s dream come true is tested daily. Meanwhile, Andre is facing his own challenges as each day brings long hours of Kungfu training at the hands of the tough Shaolin monks. But his biggest challenge still awaits him… the supreme test of his skills to graduate from China’s elite martial arts school. Do not miss this real life drama as an American family take on the might of China’s elite Kungfu schools!

Soundtrack provided by China’s two top-selling musicians Chen Jing and Wu Li. These avante-garde guzheng players play jazz-fusion mixed with traditional Chinese instruments. Additional music by Shaolin Temple monks.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

You've never seen that one, Gene?

It has some rare and precious gems in it, like one of the only clips of Shi Suyun moving about. He's training Shi Deyang in Xiaohongquan, and drops to a pretty impressive dingbu.

There's also Shi Deyang doing a portion of a set with large beads called Luohan Fozhugong, which is a skill that as I've ever been able to find only he knew, from Shi Suxi, and almost lost it until I encouraged him to dig it out of his memory last year! He hadn't practiced it in over 10 years, so it would have been lost for good. This video was the only place it had ever been documented, and no one else had ever heard of its existence.

Cherished footage of a time gone by right there.

Re; A boy in China,

Hehe, Thats funny. I remember Andre. He first came to Tagou with his father when I was still there, that was a few years ago now. Andre Magnum if I remember correctly. I guess they got what they wanted.

I'll have to watch it all the way through, next chance I get, LFJ

Soon come.

That's right, RDH, Andre Magnum. He's a ginger, which is hard to miss in China.

Here's a shot of him I took at CMAT last month.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ICN News

I caught a little news bit on an African training at Shaolin on ICN News last night. ICN TV has some martial arts programs, but I was just surfing and caught it totally by chance.

Also Andre Magnum was at KFTC 20. I'll post a pic here when I find one.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Dragons in 3-D

Intriguing. I wonder if the 3D version will ever be available here.
    Dragons in 3-D
    Updated: 2012-08-04 07:46
    By Xu Lin in Dengfeng, Henan ( China Daily)

Diehard fans of Chinese martial arts will be able to enjoy kung fu as if they were in the presence of masters thanks to the launch of a 3-D documentary set in the legendary Shaolin Temple.

The 60-minute Shaolin Boot Camp showcases the life of Hollywood actor and martial artist Jason Scott Lee as he learns about the Shaolin Temple, its traditions and kung fu from Shaolin monks over a two-week period.

Shooting of the documentary wrapped up on Thursday.

Shi Yongxin, the abbot of the temple, tonsured Lee and guided his practice.

Lee, 46, who is of Chinese-American descent, became famous starring as Bruce Lee in the 1993 kung fu movie Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. He also studied Jeet Kune Do - a kung fu system developed by Bruce Lee - under Jerry Poteet, one of Bruce Lee's students.

The story of the Shaolin Temple and its kung fu has been featured in movies and documentaries before, but this is the first 3-D film to be made about it.

It is a co-production by China Intercontinental Communication Center, Beach House Pictures in Singapore and 3net, a 3-D television channel in the United States. The documentary's premiere on 3net is scheduled for the beginning of 2013, with plans to have it broadcast in China later.

"Jason Scott Lee is very eager to learn. Shaolin kung fu is more culture, spirit and belief than just fighting and combat. I believe a true Shaolin will be demonstrated in the documentary," Shi said.

According to director Donovan Chan from Singapore, 3-D filmmaking has gained popularity globally in the past few years, both in television and motion pictures.

"It's perfect timing to recapture the beauty and spirit of the Shaolin Temple and its martial arts in stunning 3-D quality, displaying it to the world in a way it has never seen before," Chan said.

"We not only used state-of-the-art 3-D high-speed cameras to capture Shaolin kung fu in super slow motion, but also adopted an innovative hand-held 3-D rig. It allows us to capture the reality of living, eating and training with Shaolin monks without the bulk of many older 3-D rigs," he said.

Home / Entertainment / Movies
    Dragons in 3-D
    Updated: 2012-08-04 07:46
    By Xu Lin in Dengfeng, Henan ( China Daily)
    Comments(0) Print Mail Large Medium Small
    Prize

Dragons in 3-D
    [Photo/China Daily]

Chan said it allows viewers to feel they are right in the Shaolin Temple, marveling at its ancient architecture with kung fu masters.

Chan said Jason Scott Lee is perfect for this role as he's not only a Jeet Kune Do expert but also has a great understanding of Western and Eastern traditions.

"In my childhood, I was obsessed with Shaolin kung fu when I watched Hong Kong's martial arts movies. I hoped someday I would visit the Shaolin Temple and often wondered what it would be like to be a warrior monk. Now I've fulfilled my dream," Jason Scott Lee said.

"If I say Shaolin kung fu, I think of fighting, medicine, practice and philosophy. What I've learned about Shaolin kung fu is about being mindful throughout the day," Lee said.

He said qigong - a kung fu system that involves the cultivation of internal breath - is very challenging and different from his training of Jeet Kune Do because Shaolin kung fu has more traditional and classical movements while Jeet Kune Do is quite modern.

"The thing I remember most is getting to know my master (Shi Yongxin) and other monks. They are humorous in life but they are very focused with all their heart in shooting. It's a fascinating contrast," Lee said.

"It's an international crew from five countries. Shaolin kung fu is not only an important part of Chinese culture, but also an international topic because it has many fans in the world," said Jing Shuiqing, director of the international department of the China Intercontinental Communication Center.
    There are nine pages of photos if you follow the link.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Dragon Girls

Jewel Thiefs! Reindeer Herding! Sex for Trees! HotDocs Celebrates Its 20th In Style
    Kurt Halfyard

One of the world's largest documentary film festivals, Toronto's HotDocs turns 20 this year. To celebrate, they are screening a whopping 205 films from 43 countries from April 25th to May 5th at their dedicated cinema, The Bloor-Hotdocs Cinema, as well as a significant number of other venues in the city.

Twitch's Jason Gorber here and I've just returned from the always welcome press conference (read: free breakfast) where we got a chance to see a few minutes of 12 O'Clock Boys, which for this fan of all things Baltimore (courtesy of worshiping David Simon) looks a-ma-zing. A clip from Caucus, about the insanity of Iowa's political machinery, looks like it sets the perfect tone of wryness, with a a particularly effective shot of Mitt Romney chugging a corn dog with aplomb. If this film manages to stay apolitical (from a party point of view) while skewering the inherent ridiculous of the event (you know, Daily Show/Colbert style), this might provie to be my favourite thing of the festival.

I've been around long enough with this festival to see it flourish over the last half decade, and it's wonderful to see the level of films that are showing here (and documentaries in general) continue to improve - heck, two of my top 10 film of 2012 were movies I saw at the Bloor as part of Hot Doc programming - The Imposter and Under African Skies. Can't wait until the end of next month to find new works to fall in love with! Now back to Kurt to take you through some of the other highlights from the upcoming fest. You'll find the full press release at the bottom.

Other Highlights include:

Inigo Westmeier's DRAGON GIRLS, follows three young female students living far away from their homes and families. They sacrifice the luxuries of childhood, like days off, playtime and seeing their parents, for the honour, success, respect and awe they will gain from their training. It offers a glimpse at the young female warriors-in-training at an ancient Shaolin Kung Fu school outside Beijing.
    I only cut&pasted the relevant part.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips