Hey all,
Just wondering for you fellow Wing Chun'ers out there, when you are engaged with an opponent, do you fight more on the "inside" (staying to the zone between the fighter's hands, facing them dead on from the front) or the "outside" (zoning to one side and coming in over one arm in an attempt to isolate the other side of the body). I'm asking because it seems to me from my own research, that Yip Man focused on "inside" fighting for his first wave of students (Wong Shueng Leung, Koo Sang), but most of his later students (Leung Ting, etc..) focused more on gaining the outside advangate. As such, alot of the Koo Sang techniques I've seen through Alan lamb were way more oriented on Noy activities (noy pak,lap) and were nowhere nearly so concerned with moving to the outside. My current theory is that the first wave of students may have been so good on the "inside", that the later students were forced to shift to the outside to prevent their sihings from beating the snot out of them. This also implies that perhaps the "outside" is a better place to be.... Any opinions? Kinda curious about where people like to be positioned at. Personally, I'm currently way more comfortable being on the "outside", as I like isolating one side of the opponents body. But I've recently started focusing more on the interior fighting, since it is less developed for me. Am I explaining this well? Let me know what you think! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Thanks!
Sandman[Wing Chun]

From the book "Advanced Wing Chun Kung Fu"
figure 248a: The assailant moves in to attack with a large cleaver like knife. Fortunately, Master Yim is holding a squash racket.