Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Effectivness vs. Efficiency?

Blog Entries

Effectivness vs. Efficiency?

Which concept is more important for martial arts?

Ill go out there and poll my vote for effectivness. Its nice to be efficient, but whats it worth if it doesnt always work.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow
    Which concept is more important for martial arts?
    I would say effectiveness is more important. Something can be effcient but if it's not effective then it doesn't matter. Something can be effective but not efficient. This means that whatever your doing gets the job done but can be improved upon.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

how can something be efficient and not work?

I don't see how effectiveness and efficiency are mutually exclusive.

You can have a very efficient method of doing something such as punching many times in a short amount of time, but without effectivness, many of these punches will not connect.

However you can be inefficient such as punching slow (such as less punches in the same time frame, but with effectiveness you will connect with your technique.

Of course a natural course of training will develop both qualities simultaneously, there is not always a perfect balance. So stressing the effectiveness of your technique is always a good idea.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

Quote Originally Posted by red5angel
    how can something be efficient and not work?
    Ask that question on the WC forum...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    HA!!!!!!!!
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Funniest post by 7* in a grip..
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    You can have a very efficient method of doing something such as punching many times in a short amount of time, but without effectivness, many of these punches will not connect.

However you can be inefficient such as punching slow (such as less punches in the same time frame, but with effectiveness you will connect with your technique.

Of course a natural course of training will develop both qualities simultaneously, there is not always a perfect balance. So stressing the effectiveness of your technique is always a good idea.
    But you could argue that punching many times in a short amount of time but not hitting your target is inefficient since you expend energy/resources on an activity that does not achieve your goal. Whereas a single slow punch that connects is efficient because you achieve your goal in a direct (though slow) fashion.

Efficiency is not a concept that stands alone - it is tied to the ability to achieve your goal. An engine that only burns 1 litre of petrol per day is no good if it cannot propel the vehicle it is attached to.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Wouldn't something HAVE to be effective to prove efficient? Would a computer that could make 984468146574684 calculations per second, all with 0% accuracy, be considered efficiant?

"I'm doing jack-squat, but I'm doing it at the speed of light."

lol, yes that analogy is much better than mine. To true JoeDoe my analogy sucked.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    lol, yes that analogy is much better than mine. To true JoeDoe my analogy sucked.
    I find car analogies always work best
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Street cred raised 5 points!
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I guess I'd disagree, Efficiency implies to me that it not only works, but it works better then most other options.
    If you can throw a lot of punches really fast but you can't connect or can't hit hard enough to make a difference, then I couldn't call that efficient.

STRAIGHTBLAST!!!!!!!!HIIIIIYYEEEEEYAAAAAAAAA!!!!!