Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Effectivness vs. Efficiency?

I think Will's last post covered this issue the best.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    I think Will's last post covered this issue the best.
    I think your mom has my issues covered.

something to take into consideration is perspective. compare a tma snapping roundhouse to a thai roundhouse. the tma kick is more efficient.

perspective -

for power, the thai kick is far superior.

BUT, for speed, the tma kick would be.

What are you thinking of specifically when you say "effective"?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    something to take into consideration is perspective. compare a tma snapping roundhouse to a thai roundhouse. the tma kick is more efficient.

perspective -

for power, the thai kick is far superior.

BUT, for speed, the tma kick would be.

What are you thinking of specifically when you say "effective"?
    then for power the thai kick would be more efficient for power while for speed the TMA kick would be more efficient no?

d@mmit, stop complicating things

I guess efficiency would depend on perspective as well.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I think for the most yeah, it's a matter of perspective. You have to establish what it is you're being effective at then determine what is efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by red5angel
    I think your mom has my issues covered.
    I think she does but now shes trying to figure out what do do with her other eight fingers.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by ninthdrunk
    Seriously though. If something is effective, doesn't that mean it works? So, who cares how efficient it is if it works. Now if someone comes along with a more efficient way of doing something that is ALSO more effective, by all means jump aboard.
    But still, if it's effective it's efficient in one form or another. Efficiency and inefficiency both have an effect on the outcome. An inefficiency would be paramount to something like a mechanical disadvantage and result in an ineffective outcome.

The whole "Effectivness vs. Efficiency" discussion is somewhat like comparing accuracy and precision in scientific terms. To be truely effective and efficient you have to have both.

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

Blog Entries
    In terms of general application:

Efficiency is important for well-defined and stable processes.

Effectiveness is important for poorly defined and unstable processes.

Is a street fight a stable and defined process?

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow

Absolutely not, it's a chaoticly dynamic event. However I'm not sure about your application of effectiveness and efficiency mostly because I see a lack of defining what's efficient and effective and what's only effective.

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

In terms of general application:

Efficiency is important for well-defined and stable processes.

Effectiveness is important for poorly defined and unstable processes.

how are you getting one withoput the other?

i just wanna add that sumthin can be poorly planned out and still be effective. you know the saying. crazy idea....but it worked didn't it? luck can come into play. i think efficiency is high percentage effectiveness. effective and efficient aren't synonyms though.

effective means that sumthin works. efficient means it works quickly and usually without fail.
    Last edited by FuXnDajenariht; 04-16-2005 at 10:22 AM.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Which concept is more important for martial arts?
    Efficiency is PART of effectiveness. An inefficient martial art will not be as effective as it could be.
    Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    You can have a very efficient method of doing something such as punching many times in a short amount of time, but without effectivness, many of these punches will not connect.
    I wouldn't consider rapidly flailing againse an opponent's guard with no bridging or penetration to be inefficient. It is also ineffective.
    However you can be inefficient such as punching slow (such as less punches in the same time frame, but with effectiveness you will connect with your technique.
    If reducing your attack speed allows you to penetrate MORE there is a problem with your technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninthdrunk
    lineage... Isn't that the most important part of martial arts?
    No. That is possibly the LEAST important part of martial arts except: uniforms (belts, patches, etc.) and cheezy sensei-bob moustaches.
    Last edited by SimonM; 04-16-2005 at 10:35 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

and since we're on the subject. i think the most important thing in martial arts, as in life as well, is will, as in determination.

will finds a way. the great equalizer.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    Ask that question on the WC forum...

Tsk tsk.................

Today in class we worked on a lot of chin na, grappling, knife attacks, etc. We did lots of clinch and stand up work, and typically 9 times out of the ten the most effecient answer was also a very effective one.

I think effeciency and effectiveness go hand in hand. Your effectiveness is not determined by a system or by a technique, its determined by hard hard you train it, and your physical attributes. For some people, some things are more natural and they catch on or learn faster, others need to do it 100 times before they can get the "effective technique" down at a basic level.

Now, lets say you take something like choy li fut, or taiji that tend to have larger circular motions over something like boxing or wing chun which is more linear, who is to say which is more effecient? It depends on the person I would say, but typical linear arts, IMO (opinion here not fact) tend to yield results faster than others because thery are more direct and to the point of fighting. That is ofcourse when it comes to striking, obviously a linear, angular, circular, etc art is not going to help you much on the ground, unless its principles and concepts carry over to that medium.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man