Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 13 yr old kid whacks another kid with baseballbat: on trial for murder

13 yr old kid whacks another kid with baseballbat: on trial for murder

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/s...llkilling.html

PALMDALE – A 13-year-old pitcher whose baseball team, the Angels, had just lost for the first time this season was being teased at the concession stand when witnesses said he pulled out a bat and clobbered his 15-year-old antagonist.

Now he could face a murder charge.

Advertisement

The teen, whose name was not released, was arrested Wednesday for investigation of murder and was being held at Antelope Valley Juvenile Hall as authorities prepared to take the case to prosecutors.

He is suspected of killing spectator Jeremy Rourke, 15, after the Tuesday night game.

Despite the fight, the boys had no history of problems, said Tony Trevino, coach of the opposing Dodgers.

"That's what's so shocking and so appalling," he said. "What happened? What did we miss as a community? What did we miss as parents."

A friend outside the Rourke home said the family had no immediate comment about the attack in the desert city about 40 miles northeast of Los Angeles.

The suspect was the starting pitcher when his team was beaten for the first time in eight games by the Dodgers, a team that went into the game with a 1-6 record.

Deputies declined to provide further details of the attack.

Ryan Gosporra, 15, said the incident began when his friend Rourke cut in front of the suspect in the snack bar line. Neither he nor Trevino saw the attack that occurred after the last game of the night with about 40 people at the field.

But Trevino, 50, said witnesses told him the two boys teased each other before the suspect pulled a bat from his bag and hit Rourke in the knees, then the head.

Earlier, the suspect had appeared upset about the game but nothing seemed out of the ordinary, said Trevino, a retired rehabilitation therapist. The boy was known for being competitive but did not have a reputation for being violent, he said.

Rourke was white and the suspect is black, but "racism had nothing to do with it," Trevino said. "This is a behavior problem not a racial problem."

After the attack, Trevino saw the suspect standing against a fence with his parents. "He looked scared. He was in shock," the coach said.

Other onlookers said the 13-year-old seemed dazed after the incident.

"He just didn't realize it, it just happened and before you know it and then like I say, I told him, 'What did you do, why did you do that?'" parent Sam Cordova told Fox 11 News.

"I could see it in his eyes that it was starting to sink in, oh my gosh, what did I do?" Cordova said.

The Palmdale Pony League field has a sign recruiting boys 5 to 14 and encouraging parents to "Protect Our Nation's Youth."

Parent Jorge Morey, 37, said he was stunned that the attack occurred in such a respectable league.

"It's a real family atmosphere. That's what I like about it," he said.

League officials said play would be suspended at the field for several days.

"We're really in a state of shock over this whole thing," league President Ken Curtis said. Rourke had been a junior umpire and his father is a past president of the league.

A memorial was held at Highland High School, where Rourke attended classes. Students shared memories, and a bundle of pink and black balloons was released.

"He's just a funny kid. He liked to make people smile," Gosporra said. "You could be in the worst mood and he would make you laugh."
    where's my beer?

its hard to say what happened for sure uneless more details come out, but it sounds like it was an accident. it says he hit him in the knees and then in the head. if he hit him in the head once, and only once, i think its obvious he didnt want to kill the other kid no matter how bad he wanted to hurt him.

and this brings up a terrible delima for the parents. its easy for me to sit back and think i hope the kid doesnt pay his entire life for a mistake no matter how terrible, but if it were my kid that were dead i doubt id be saying the same thing. if i were the parent of the dead kid and the attacker were 16 i'd probably kill him, but 13 is right at that line which makes it even worse.

terrible situation.
    where's my beer?

To me the key thing is that his reaction was to pull out his baseball bat and whack the guy.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

sometimes you just got to whack a guy in the head with a bat.
    where's my beer?

Well, it sure beats marching into the school library with hunting rifles and shotguns. Darwinism people.
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

Quote Originally Posted by Losttrak
    Well, it sure beats marching into the school library with hunting rifles and shotguns. Darwinism people.
    True enough. Baseball bats don't kill people, people kill people.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

Only a dumb a$$ thirteen-year old kid would think they could hit somebody in the head with a bat and not kill them. Good thing for him the death penalty isn't available for juveniles. My guess is this wasn't the first time he assaulted someone, just the first time he was caught.
    Bodhi Richards

No, only a 13 year-old who has watched too many movies where people get whacked across the head with a bat/pipe/plank of wood and get straight back up.

i dunno man ... i think it has more to do with bad judgement than movies/video games.

i might be a ******* too, but i really woudnt think one conk with a bat would kill a guy. especially if it were a 13 year old swinging it.
    where's my beer?

A thirteen year old trained baseball player... the other kid's head probably came apart like a rotten watermelon.

Manslaughter at the least. I'd charge him with Murder 2 if I was the prosecutor.
    Bodhi Richards

13 is still young enough for a kid to still think that things on the b00b tube are real. And not yet old enough to have developed the habit of thinking before acting. Manslauter, yes. Murder, no. I doubt he had any thought what so ever about killing, or even injurring the other kid. He lost his temper and lashed out, sounds like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
    i think its obvious he didnt want to kill the other kid no matter how bad he wanted to hurt him.
    There's a crime specifically designated for this circumstance. 3rd degree murder is specifically defined as someone engaging in an unlawful assault not intended to result in the death of the victim, which does wind up killing the victim.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

The fact that lethal force was used will surely impact the D.A.'s decision as to what to charge the kid with. He could make a better argument that the thing was accidental if he'd killed the kid with a punch. As it stands, he attacked an unarmed kid with a weapon and his victim died. He also had to have struck his victim multiple times since he hit him in the knees and head. Manslaughter seems unlikely to me the more I think about it.
    Bodhi Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Becca
    Manslauter, yes. Murder, no.
    Manslaughter is the death of a human being as a result of an unlawful act not constituting a felony. Assault with a baseball bat constitutes a felony, so it's third degree murder, not manslaughter.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

[QUOTE=Samurai Jack]Only a dumb a$$ thirteen-year old kid would think they could hit somebody in the head with a bat and not kill them. Good thing for him the death penalty isn't available for juveniles. QUOTE]

Press here
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?