Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Internal Aspects of Wing Chun

Quote Originally Posted by YinOrYan View Post
    That's like shooting someone in the back! Sorry, don't have any videos of tiger takedowns in application. Some of them even gut the opponant with the tiger claws once they are on the ground.

On page 101 it says fook fu kuen (subdue tiger form) is part of the curriculum of Malaysian Wing Chun that was brought there in the 1930's by Yip Kin

On page 118 it mentions a set of techniques called big-taming-tiger.

The book would make a good xmas present for yourself. They have most the Wing Chun lineages traced all the way down to 1998 when the book was published. It would be nice to know where you fit all that...
    Thanks

Going to look that form up

I'll maybe look for the book, see what of money they're going for lol

Sorry, don't have any videos of tiger takedowns in application. Some of them even gut the opponant with the tiger claws once they are on the ground.
    You need to sort that, it is year of the tiger after all

Can only find hung ga forms of the same name, and judging from them there's a lot of tiger in wing chun, certainly.

defo makes me realise I need to look at more Southern kung fu lol

I've read that Southern dragon was an influence in the development of wing chun, do you know anything about Southern dragon?

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.O View Post
    I've read that Southern dragon was an influence in the development of wing chun, do you know anything about Southern dragon?
    There are thousands of Southern Dragons. Do you know of any specific videos? The only dragon form I've seen anything remotely similar to Wing Chun type moves is in the salutation to one of Arc Yuen Wong's dragon forms where there's a sequence about 8 of them and I don't know why...

There are thousands of Southern Dragons. Do you know of any specific videos? The only dragon form I've seen anything remotely similar to Wing Chun type moves is in the salutation to one of Arc Yuen Wong's dragon forms where there's a sequence about 8 of them and I don't know why...
    I'll keep looking but the videos ive seen don't really look much like any the of the wing chun (main land or other ) ive seen.

thanks, I'll see if I can find anything on arc Yuen wongs dragon forms

No, unfortunately most of his forms out there are really watered-down, in large part because he only taught the complete forms to his top students, and various subsets of them to many many others. Every once in while I go for an extensive hunt on YouTube to see if anything good has turned up but rarely find anything but parts...

No, unfortunately most of his forms out there are really watered-down, in large part because he only taught the complete forms to his top students, and various subsets of them to many many others. Every once in while I go for an extensive hunt on YouTube to see if anything good has turned up but rarely find anything but parts...
    is it from the same sifu though?

is it from the same sifu though?
    Yeah, almost any Kung Fu person in L.A. over 50 learned some parts of Arc Wong's forms...

Yeah, almost any Kung Fu person in L.A. over 50 learned some parts of Arc Wong's forms...
    popular was he

on the subject of dragon in wing chun, from what I've read recently, I think it is the twisting and coiling of the body that's the dragon element in wing chun, rather than hand techniques...

on the subject of dragon in wing chun, from what I've read recently, I think it is the twisting and coiling of the body that's the dragon element in wing chun, rather than hand techniques...
    They must be talking more about snake-like dragon forms sort of like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZE8-M65ZT8

That twisting and coiling is more symmetric, whereas most dragons are usually more spiraling, which is very unlike Wing Chun. Next thing you know, you will be telling me there's some monkey style in Wing Chun, haha

They must be talking more about snake-like dragon forms sort of like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZE8-M65ZT8
    different to wing chun, but I can't really see with the robe being so long

That twisting and coiling is more symmetric, whereas most dragons are usually more spiraling, which is very unlike Wing Chun. Next thing you know, you will be telling me there's some monkey style in Wing Chun, haha
    I would say wing Chuns twisting was more like bagua twisting my self, that being more up right.

no, no monkey lol.. though I did see fook sau being referred to as monkey paw in a book, which didn't make sense till I seen a monkey punch a guy on the chin after redirecting his hand with a fook sau lol

internal wing chun

Quote Originally Posted by illusionfist View Post
    Well, like i said in my post, most people don't teach the internal aspects of the form. When i first started kung fu when i was a kid (around 12) i used to take lessons from a friend of mine's dad. He was skilled in wing chun and a real obscure version of yang style tai chi. At that age i couldn't respect, nor understand, the internal aspects of the form. I later moved on and went to another style of kung fu (mizong lohan).

Now that i am training in hung gar and i have been exposed to it's internal aspects, some of the internal postures that are in hung gar are also found within Siu Lim Tao. Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma is one of these stances. Also many of the arm postures are building your internal "frame", which build the space between the arms and your dantien. This space is needed in order to use expulsion and warding techniques.

But the postures are nothing without the intent, and the intent is what leads the chi. The intent is the most crucial factor in making Siu Lim Tao work for internal purposes.

As for all lineages having it, well that would be impossible for me to answer.

As for neijia people arguing about the internal aspects of the form, well as you said, it can be argued. A close friend of mine is learning wing chun, and his mother system is Chen Style Tai Chi. He is always commenting on the internal benefits of Siu Lim Tao. So.....

Have any of you experienced the internal benefits of the form??

Peace [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    I agree with what you're saying here: "But the postures are nothing without the intent, and the intent is what leads the chi."
    This is something I've struggled to understand in Wing Chun until I found an internal school which teaches Chu Shong Tin style Wing Chun. It's like a completely different system to my previous Wing Chun:
    Here's a recent post I put up: https://leedsipmanwingchun.co.uk/internal-wing-chun/