Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA vs. Street fighting

Yes Mr. Rogue, may I call you Mr. Rogue? You are absolutely correct...And I would guess that in real life, it rarely is a "fair" one-on-one fight...
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

Just call me A-holio, everybody else does.
    I do think sport arts give more all around benefits than so-called Reality Based systems do. Since most self defense happens between the ears it should be easy for any sport fighter to convert over. I think the crew at SBG are following this method.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue
    Just call me A-holio, everybody else does.
    I do think sport arts give more all around benefits than so-called Reality Based systems do. Since most self defense happens between the ears it should be easy for any sport fighter to convert over. I think the crew at SBG are following this method.

I think you can have a successful Reality based training program, as long as you understand the actual realities involved in self defense. Beyond that necessary mental training, some hard sparring and setting up situations that require you react as closely and as realistically as possible.

Unfortunatley in my experience most "Reality" based training programs are put on by dweebs looking to make a buck of sukkaz, or some idiot who thinks he knows best and doesn't.

Here are some videos of street fights. Watch the interview and then the attack. Nothing fancy.

http://www.personalprotectionsystems.ca/multimedia.htm
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Thanks for the link...I'll watch all of them eventually...so far, the prison guard attack looks a lot like something you would see in UFC...and the guard appears to take an incredible amount of punishment and walk away...
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

Akhilleus: your avatar brightens my day.

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

There are holes in everyones training. No one is excluded. Many traditionalists overlook the simplicity of combat (such as many fights go to the ground for instance). Many mixed martial artists overlook attacks because they train around specific rules (elbow to the back of the neck when someone is grabbing your leg for instance).

But each party knows what is there and what they are doing. They can also realize that there are these holes, and in the very least, mentally prepare for these situations.

This does not mean that on our personal time or in other training senarios that we do not train in these holes. This goes for everyone who really wants to be a good combatant in the game of life.

Many mixed martial artists, if faced with real life senario would put the elbow to the spine, simply because it is the best thing to do in that specific situation.

Many traditionalists will resort to the simple, more economic techniques, if faced with a real life senario, simply because it is the best thing to do in that specific situation.

Point is everyone (regardless of what art they practice) is capable of filling in the gaps, it just takes the notice of holes and the desire to fill them.

In summary: Neither MMA or TMA would fair best in this situation. The better fighter would. We can make assumptions based on averages, but this will only lead to unrealistic conclusions about an art as a whole, which is entirely unfair to the art itself. The art is nothing, it is completely empty and void. There is no substance. It is only given life through emotion, action, and desire. This is what makes the difference.

When it comes down to it I would put my money on the Military Special forces over pretty much any MMA or TMA.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Akhilleus: your avatar brightens my day
    Thanks Will I am glad you like it...that movie was on the other day and I had forgotten how great it was, since I hadn't seen it in about a decade...sadly the series went seriously downhill after the first one, but don't they always? If I can figure out how to change forum name I wanted to make it Atreyu...

Originally posted by Chief Fox...

Let's say I get in a "Street Fight" with some MMA dude and this guy beats the tar out of me and leaves me on the street. A few minutes later I stumble to my car, drive around the block, see the MMA dude and run him down. Who won the fight? My point is, you can't say this or that will be more effective on the street because there are too many variables.
    Dang that was really good stuff you said there...you just made a fact...that's what I am going to tell people next time they ask me "can this be used on the street?"...don't worry, I will cite you, Chief Fox...

Quote Originally Posted by Akhilleus
    Thanks Will I am glad you like it...that movie was on the other day and I had forgotten how great it was, since I hadn't seen it in about a decade...sadly the series went seriously downhill after the first one, but don't they always? If I can figure out how to change forum name I wanted to make it Atreyu...

yeah, that movie was great. I dunno why they bothered with sequels and a frickin cartoon though...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by red5angel
    Didn't they actually puit an MMA guy in Streetfighter or am I thinking Tekken? I know what's his name, the gigantic black dude whose name starts with M is in Tekken but I thought there was an MMA guy in Streetfighter now?
    That's Craig Marduck .
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

With that spandex he could double as Richard Simmons man b!tch.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

sheeeeit, if that guy were real he'd make Mike Tyson look like a Richard Simmons wanna be.

From now on my martial arts goal is to look like a gigantic black man who can fight mean enough to get away with wearing grappling shorts.

"yeah, that movie was great. I dunno why they bothered with sequels and a frickin cartoon though..."

Yeah, it wasn't really the type of movie you could make good sequels of easily, especially when you can't get the same actors back, or even people that look like the originial actors...the show ticks me off...everytime I put on HBO Family its like the neverending story is next so I get all pumped...then I see its only 30 min long and has some stupid subplot with characters that were not even in the original movie...

What movie, and what actress is that?

DM