Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: MMA vs. Street fighting

Blog Entries
    i'm sorry,

i'm sure most of you are being very sarcastic, but not one of you have said that this is just a street fight. it looks like one may have some backyard wrestling moves, but in the many street fights i've either been in or witnessed its the same thing you saw on the tape, except neither were any real fighters.

i was just talking to one of the forum members and i admitted that after hearing some of the names of grappling techniques such as the guillatine i realized i also have some grappling within my own arsenal, its just more street than professional because the guillantine is one of my favorite moves even as a kid.
    i've realized that i naturally sprawled when people went for my legs.

to this date i've never learned wrestling, but as a fighter i've learned these things by getting into fights and asking myself how did he do that. so now, i'm considering studying more grappling.

anyways going back to that vid clip, there was no "MMA" at all. just street fighting. i think its natural to try to get the upper hand so if one is on his back the other will naturally mount to gain control.

i recently saw a street fight in my old neighborhood as i was driving by so i went around the block cuz i can't resist a good street fight and saw these two in the street throwing blows. neither landed one beause they were equally fast and evasive. so when the cops pulled up neither one had landed anything. still can't decided whether it was a good fight because both had good defensive skills or neither had any good striking skills.

oh well.

alot of street fights i see or been in personally usually last up to 30 seconds max, ex: somebody gets hit in the nose it breaks the other guy just keeps rushing.. or someone gets in a headlock with one arm the guy pounds away.. and even in bjj doing those escapes take time by the time he gets a 8-10 hits it's over because he's been pounding your nose in.
    Last edited by ChinoXL; 01-29-2006 at 04:02 AM.

I'm beginning to have a problem with the term 'MMA' and would like a definition.

Originally, it meant that you trained in multiple martial arts, hence the MMA initials. Nowadays MMA seems to have narrowed down to MT, BJJ and boxing for the most part. It's seems to be reaching the point where it's considered a style.

The reality is that some arts NOT considered MMA are actually MMA. Any style that combines ideas and techniques from different styles would be MMA.

Anyone who trains in different styles regardless of origin is training MMA.

How about guys that train switch schools, and styles, a lot?

Does MMA mean multiple styles or does it mean stand-up and grappling?

Frank mentioned learning the same stuff basically just from getting into fights. I agree with that because the fights I had as kid with no training were the same.

The guard was called scissors when I was a kid. I remember one fight where I got the kid down and he scissored me and tried to squeeze my guts out. At one time I thought I was going to puke on him. Probably should have.

Stuff like that is instinctive and natural. Maybe that's part of the MMA popularity. CMA is difficult and awkward when you start out. Very foreign to your body. Most of what I see in MMA is natural street fighting.
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

I think mixed martial arts has more to do with training all ranges of fighting(striking, clinch/throws, or ground), and being good at one. So, you eliminate your opponents best game, and play to the strength of yours. If that means eliminating the clinch/throw game of a wrestler by being a good defensive wrestler, and a better striker, then you would normally win if you play to your optimal strategy. MMA does not suggest that you study xy and z, but if you want to compete in it, you have to train what works best. Innovations still happen in the MMA arena. TMA'ists still compete at a lot of local fights, but seldom make it to the UFC's and Pride's of of the sports fighting world.
    The guard is not the scissors. It is a grappling position that allows you to either finish your opponent, or escape a potentially inferior position (being on your back). All skills in grappling are just that, skills. They are not simple "instinctive" moves. They don't look like a tornado kick, but it's the little things that make things effective. People who are good at working from the guard can spend years developing it. It is awkward to work from when first starting out.
    MTV-Get Off The Air-Now

Blog Entries
    No disrespect ralphie boy,

but you missed the point. what Ou Ji was saying that when he was a kid -just a little rowdy ass kid street punk who got into street fights--they used something they called the scissors, but in the MMA arena its known as the guard. they came up with a name for what they did back then, now the world knows including Ou Ji that what he used to call the scissors is actually called the guard.

i hope you see the point now.

hsk

mma..jkd...ninjutsu....streetfighting...crosstrain ing it all boils down to one thing...
    using whatever works to get the job done
    If life isn't fair...than why should i be

Quote Originally Posted by CaptinPickAxe
    On Bullshido they claimed that this is actually a Krav Maga dude and a BJJ cat. They both look like some rooks...

all i have to say to the BJJ cat is this:

Sink the hooks, RNC! RNC! RNC!
    That has to be complete BS. The kid didn't know how to apply a RNC, couldn't sink his hooks when given ample oppurtunity, passed over way too much beginner stuff. This was just your a-typical street fight where 1 guy may have seen a UFC or something.

I apoligize if I sound like I'm trivializing MMA but I think that some of the appeal is that it makes sense and feels right and natural. I've never taken an MMA class but from what I see it seems like a lot of it is refined natural moves.

Look at the comment about the RNC. Anyone with kids can tell you what they do when they climb on your back. They hang on by wrapping their arms around your neck, choking the craap out of you. MMA RNC is a refined version of that natural instinct. Just my opinion, you don't have to agree.

Headlocks happen all the time with untrained fighters and they will grab around your neck from all angles including from behind.
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

ok? What's your point?

Hahahahahahaha

Blog Entries
    whats your point in regards to his point?

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior
    whats your point in regards to his point?
    he has a point?

Is he is saying that striking and wrestling (MMA) is instinctual for all animals?

If so, I agree but not sure what the point is of pointing out this point.

If he is saying that flying armbars, heelhooks, and omoplatas are extension of humans instinctual wrestling abilities then.... ummmm.... ok...

I give up... my head hurts

Are all those from being choked too much????
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Magic 8-Ball says "Signs point to yes!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ou Ji
    Headlocks happen all the time with untrained fighters and they will grab around your neck from all angles including from behind.
    Much of "natural" grappling instinctual behavior is pretty much wrong from
    a grappling perspective - headlocks, straight arm chokes, bull rush with the head down,.

Unless someone has seen the back chokes, he will usually go for a headlock and not a back choke.

Sinking the hooks in is not natural in an untrained person. That's why the one kid was unable to finish the other.

The guard is not natural to most people- turning to the stomach and giving the back is.