Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: MMA vs. Street fighting

KF,

Would you say that trained grappling is purposeful in exploiting the untrained responses in opponents? Is the training geared to apply certain kinds of pressure to provoke those untrained responses?
    "Not to tire of learning is wisdom; not to weary of teaching is benevolence." -- Tzu-kung

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman
    KF,

Would you say that trained grappling is purposeful in exploiting the untrained responses in opponents? Is the training geared to apply certain kinds of pressure to provoke those untrained responses?
    Yes.

One of the first things you learn in a BJJ class is the spinning arm bar from the mount. You put pressure on the opponent and get him to push up as he tries to get you off, thus setting up the arm bar.

Punches from the mount are designed to get the opponent to turn his back to you.

There are a variety of other techniques designed to do the same typs of things.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 01-31-2006 at 10:09 AM.

Ou Ji,
    Kicking and punching are pretty basic things, too. However, I don't surmise that the technical aspects of real kung fu are really about kicking and punchin. I would imagine that they center around the technical aspects of gaining an advantage over your opponent then delivering a punch, kick, throw, sweep, or whatever. The same holds true for grappling, or San Shou, or Muy Thai, or Greco Wrestling, et alit.

HKS, you don't seem like a very smart person. Just another internet loudmouth, so I have added you to my ignore list. No need to reply on Ou Ji's behalf.
    MTV-Get Off The Air-Now

Bumfights: The Next Generation.
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

http://satanjr.com/1004/surf_crap.wmv

Ah. Now I remember why I hated Hawai'i. And Kanaks.
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

Ok so we saw a random crime, I'm sure the guy who got his ass kicked has a good law suit since it's all on tape. This is the kind of thing I think we all train for. To fend off thugs like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud
    Ok so we saw a random crime, I'm sure the guy who got his ass kicked has a good law suit since it's all on tape. This is the kind of thing I think we all train for. To fend off thugs like that.
    That's why you don't wander around in Hawai'i, unless you are in a group. Ewa Beach is particularly bad.

When I was stationed at Schofield Barracks, we used to go out and surf on the weekends. We were fighting the Kanaks -every- time. Having a Battalion picnic, complete with kids and wives? In they come. Provost Marshal hated it.

Unemployed thug trash. Consider the beaches (oh, and roads) to belong to them. Loathe Servicemen

Notice how the guy in black tells the Surfer to let go of his buddy (so his buddy can continue punching) or he'll break his nose? Pretty much par for the course. You will not win solo.

yea I just watched that video again I see what you mean. I guess you learn something new, I always thought those Samoans were fun loving.

Blog Entries
    gus,

samoans fun loving? ha! only when it comes to other samoans.

but those are some tough ass people, not forgetting that they almost always outweight everyone. booyaa tribe sucka.

but another polynesian group ---tongans---are also tough as hell.

I used to be a crip in the WCC which is all samoan, and also the Tongan Crip Gangsters which started in L.A. and brought to SF.

there was a samoan gang in SF called AKA (Always Kicking Ass) and were notorious. i recall one kid who was told that AKA was after him and he hung himself the very same day.

fun loving he says.

I used have a Samoan girl friend and I don't know abou kicking ass but her body was ass kicking. Anyway I know what you meant her family was certainly rough around the collar.

Her brothers tested me out the first time I met them, once I got their respect then they were cool after that.

Video: MMA in the street

Last edited by MasterKiller; 09-22-2006 at 03:20 PM.

Oh no i scraped my elbow! Screw the shot to the head this stings. Having been a fat kid, go tubby.
    Last edited by Mook Jong; 09-22-2006 at 08:58 PM.
    Everyone's favorite wooden dummy

"All over people thinking martial arts is for making sexy body. That one is a wrong. Martial art is for making sexy mind and sexy spirit"- Master Po
    http://www.greencloud.net

Don't be a victim. Be the dominant turkey.

Yeaaaa great fat kid!!!!!!! (I defend my cathegory lol)
    He popped a nice right one on the face of the slim one

this is what happens when you provoke a chubby kid.

you know when nutritionists talk about good fat and bad fat? That kid is bad fat.

as in bbbbaaaaaaaadddd fat.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Look at the fat one's face. Hes like smiling the whole time... that kids awesome.