Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, go for it

7 41.18%
  • No, your gonna get sick and die

10 58.82%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: raw eggs

I never understood that. Why would you eat eggs raw?

What I mean is - What is the advantage of eating eggs raw rather than cooking them?

Unless you like the taste of raw eggs, I can't see the advantage; convenience maybe? (as in 'Im too lazy to cook them, so I eat them raw).

You can put them in a shake easier than a cooked egg .

Also, off the top of my head, cooking protein isn't so good for some amino acid chains. It causes them to become denatured (i.e. breaks down the chains into another (less desirable?) form). IIRC albumin (egg-white protein) is particularly sensitive to heat. Meat OTOH, is more easily digested when cooked. Dunno what happens to the protein in meat during cooking.

Here's another example - IIRC I might've heard once that a lot of the naturally occurring creatine phospate in meat is degraded from cooking. If you want to maximise your CP intake, eat raw meat.

You're right though, laziness has a fair bit to do with my diet. If I had the time each morning I wouldn't mind a few just-runny boiled eggs. Mmm, egg yolk and toast fingers! A shake with shitloads of protein powder and a tablespoon of honey takes me about 1min though, as opposed to 10min. That's 9min more of sleep .
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

You can put them in a shake easier than a cooked egg .
    Fair enough mate.

...isn't so good for some amino acid chains. It causes them to become denatured (i.e. breaks down the chains into another (less desirable?) form).
    AFAIK, all amino acids/protiens are denatured as a part of the digestive process, so that would not necessarily be a less desirable form. But I'm sure there are folk more knowlegeable regarding these matters than I.

And I hear you on the convenience issue man.

eggs are great for protine you can get 8 to 10 gms in each serve

ttt 4 2016!

I like my yolks runny, but not raw. I've eaten raw eggs however. I've eaten pidan too. Not anymore, given this random ttt-ing news item.

True, it's a dated article - but I don't come around to this forum nearly enough and I'm hoping to amend that.

Unless You Like Toxic Chemicals, Skip This Chinese Delicacy
    Thirty Chinese preserved egg companies are being shut down for using toxic chemicals to expedite the egg-festering process
    By Rachel Nuwer
    SMITHSONIAN.COM JUNE 18, 2013

Photo: Alexi Kostibas

China’s pidan, or preserved eggs, go by many names: preserved egg, hundred-year egg, century egg, thousand-year egg, thousand-year-old egg, and millennium egg. You get the idea—these eggs look like they’ve been sitting around for years and years.

While their putrid-looking greenish-grey yolk and transparent, brown egg white may appear to be the furthest thing from appetizing to Western palettes, for the Chinese, these things are a common delicacy. But now, even Chinese consumers have a reason to avoid 1,000-year-old eggs. Thirty preserved egg companies are being shut down for using industrial copper sulphate, a toxic chemical, to expedite the egg-festering process. South China Morning Post reports:

Industrial copper sulphate usually contains high levels of toxic heavy metals, including arsenic, lead and cadmium, so is banned for use as a food additive.

The eggs are usually preserved with baking soda, salt, and quicklime for about two months. The process turns yolks dark green and the egg white into a stiff, dark jelly. Using copper sulphate could significantly reduce the processing time while achieving the same effect.

For now, the companies—one of which produces 300,000 tons of preserved eggs per year—are on hiatus as investigations continue. One official remarked that nearly all the preserved egg companies used this chemical, and he doesn’t consider it such a big deal. ”There won’t be a problem if you don’t eat too many of them,” he told South China Morning Post.

In other Chinese cuisine news, Quartz reports, watch out for chewing on suspect pork knuckles and chicken legs in the country. Some of those chewy treats were sold more than a year past their expiration date after being washed with detergent to cover up their foulness.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Raw eggs...YUCK. Not to mention the risk of E. coli from raw or undercooked eggs.

(said in The World's Most Interesting Man's voice): "I don't always eat eggs, but when I do, I eat scrambled."
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-10-2016 at 01:08 PM.

Raw eggs only have an 50% bioavailability.

Cooked eggs have 90% bioavailability.

Raw eggs put you at risk for Salmonella.

Cook your eggs.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

The risk of Salmonella is mostly due to the unsanitary conditions poultry is usually kept in. Raw eggs are used in many foods, e.g. zabaione.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I like my yolks runny, but not raw. I've eaten raw eggs however. I've eaten pidan too. Not anymore, given this random ttt-ing news item.
    Just don't buy the ones that are produced in China. That goes for all food products.

Double check the non-China stuff too. Sometimes it's China produced, but packaged eleswhere.

Kind of a bummer though. Makes it really hard to find items for home-style cooking.

Fake eggs

I can't wrap my head around this right now, not with Easter Cadbury eggs right around the corner...

We've posted on these before.

Watch: How China Makes Chemical-Laced Artificial Eggs
    By Juliet Song, Epoch Times | February 11, 2016 Last Updated: February 13, 2016 9:23 am

(Sina Weibo)

If there’s anything that can put Chinese chickens out of work, it’s the man-made eggs that have been plaguing consumers for over a decade.

Since 2003, Chinese workers have been able to replicate chicken eggs to a surprising degree of detail. The shell is made of shaped calcium carbonate, reported the Beijing Media Network. Other ingredients include starch, resin, and cellulose coagulants for the egg white, and edible pigment additives for the yolk.

Countless pictures of the fakes have appeared on Chinese social media throughout the years. Lured by low prices, shoppers all over China have reported unwittingly buying the eggs, only to find that the yolk becomes hard and rubbery once cooked; one internet post said the yolks bounced when thrown on the floor.

(Sina Weibo)

(Sina Weibo)

(Sina Weibo)

(Sina Weibo)

Manmade eggs still infest Chinese supermarkets.

“Finally I have encountered the legendary fake eggs,” a January online post reads. “Before, I might choke on the yolk, but that won’t happen now because I can’t even chew it.”

Consuming the fake eggs can lead to memory degeneration and Alzheimer’s disease.

Fake eggs are extremely cheap to manufacture—a batch of ten costs just two cents.

In 2011, Qilu Evening News, a regional newspaper in Shandong Province, published an investigative report into the method of production. According to Mr. Ren, a 10-year veteran in the industry, the most important part of the process lies in producing the eggshell. Even if the insides are botched slightly, a good shell will fool most shoppers.

“I am the only one in China who can make a good eggshell,” Ren boasted.

(Qilu Evening News)

(Qilu Evening News)

(Qilu Evening News)

(Qilu Evening News)

The eggshell is created in a mould; stirring the calcium mixture and applying it evenly is crucial in creating a convincing fake. In ten minutes, the egg is complete.

To reduce the strong chemical smell given off by the compounds that comprise the whites and yolk, the eggs are treated with aquarium water to recreate an authentic odor. For added effect, traces of chicken droppings can be placed on the eggs.

In 2009, Japan’s FujiTV produced an 8-minute report on China’s fake eggs. The TV station even reproduced the process.

It costs $120 for egg-making lessons with Mr. Ren.

Ren said he was on good terms with chicken farms and egg sellers. “I openly tell the farm directors that my manmade eggs are far cheaper. Who doesn’t want to make more money? I have business relationships with them.”

“From the farm to the wholesalers to the retailers, they all know it,” Ren claimed. “Only customers don’t.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

lol wow.

Is there anything that the Chinese will not counterfeit?

that's actually amazing. Art level even.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

But it's ok if Bill Gates and vegans do it

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/sil...the-real-thing
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 03-21-2016 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    But it's ok if Bill Gates and vegans do it

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/sil...the-real-thing
    Dude, there is a huge difference with the ingredients, method, cleanliness levels etc etc.

yes, it's ok when it's done properly and is sold as a replacement as opposed to counterfeits being sold as if they are the real thing.

PS: sorry - hit edit when I meant to hit reply.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Dude, there is a huge difference with the ingredients, method, cleanliness levels etc etc.

yes, it's ok when it's done properly and is sold as a replacement as opposed to counterfeits being sold as if they are the real thing.

PS: sorry - hit edit when I meant to hit reply.
    Yep. That's why I don't buy food products from China.

I can't resist posting this here...

I saw this at Silicon Valley Comic Con last weekend. It's the genuine article, used in the films. It was up for auction.

HAPPY EASTER!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips