Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: He's asking for a beating!

He's asking for a beating!

There is a guy who trains with me at a Wing Chun kwoon. I've known him since I started there last year; he has been a student there for 3 years and he also trains in Hung Kuen. I wouldn't say that he's a friend but certainly an associate of mine and a Kung Fu brother. Last week, he asked Sifu about sparring with someone outside of our kwoon. I guess what he actually wanted was to bring in someone from another style to spar with him at the kwoon. Keep in mind that he wanted to do this either before or after the regular training class, and he was going to have some kind of liability waiver drawn up for both he and the other person to sign, releasing Sifu of any responsibility.

Well, of course Sifu said no. Now I was present when Sifu told him this, but when Sifu told him no, he took the guy over to his (Sifu's) office. I couldn't hear what was being said nor did I try to eavesdrop. After class, the guy was very upset and I asked what was wrong. He said that Sifu told him that he didn't want any of his students sparring with someone of another style, and if the guy asked again then he would have to leave the kwoon.

Ok so that was last week. Now this guy came to class last night, and said he needed to talk to me. I spoke with him after class, and he said that he's going to spar anyway outside of the kwoon. I told him that's his business and between his concious and Sifu. But then he said something kind of disturbing. He said that he is tired of not testing his Kung Fu, so he is planning to go to different kwoons or martial art studios and openly challenge anyone there to fight him. I thought he was joking but he is dead serious!

In his opinion, he says that's the problem with a lot of martial arts these days. Students follow the Sifu but don't know if we are being taught anything useful, and if he's not learning the fighting skill that our Wing Chun promised, then he wants to find out now so that he can stop training and switch to a different style.

Now I can understand his point on that to a certain degree, but I think it's very disrespectful for him to go and challenge another school no matter what style. Even if the instructor shouldn't be teaching at all, it's dishonorable to the name of Wing Chun and the Martial Arts in general to go around making challenges like that. At least that's my opinion and I told him so. He said I was entitled to my opinion just like he's entitled to his, but he is still going to follow through with it.

I asked him when he planned to do this, and he said that he's thinking of starting this Friday evening, going to a different school each week until he either beats someone of every style here (and I'm in LA so of course there's a school in just about every style) or until he gets beaten. In which case he said he will stop training in Wing Chun completely and switch to a different style. He said that's the way they did things back in the day.

Is there anything I can say to him to talk sense into him, and make him stop this nonsense? I'm going to class in a little while so I hope he's there and maybe calmed down enough to listen to reason.

Let him do it, he will learn far more from it than you will from fretting over it.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

It isn't your problem. Let your sifu deal with the situation.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Sit him down, read him the kuen kuit and explain to him that the art of Wing Chun is a martial gift and shouldn't be soiled on challenge matches. It's like having a beautiful wife and pimping her out on some street corner. What's he gain by fighting inferior people? Nothing. Try to get that through to him.

I'm The Real Original Lucky Louie.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

dude, jsut tell him to make sure to break the sign over his knee.

seriously. let him do it. its his choice. between him and sifu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Your freind will get dusted in an MMA gym, and be gone in 30 days to persue BJJ/Muy Tai no matter what you do, or say.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Make sure you send him to Tim Cartmell's place - check out www.shenwu.com for details.

I believe they have open mat sessions on Saturdays (3pm - 6pm) - anyone can come in and spar etc.

Ask for Meynard
    Last edited by Finny; 04-20-2005 at 07:37 PM.

I agree with your friend. If you haven't tested it, how do you know if you can fight with it? Maybe your Sifu is afraid he can't fight non-WC people and that's why he got mad. I dunno.

But if I was learning something that didn't work I'd leave ASAP.

In my class (MMA), our teacher encouraged us to always test anything we wanted against anything we wanted. We were active against resisting opponents for 80-90% of the class. We knew exactly what we could and couldn't do, and what would work and what wouldn't.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    Your freind will get dusted in an MMA gym, and be gone in 30 days to persue BJJ/Muy Tai no matter what you do, or say.
    Yes.

btw, first post is like this? I've got 3:2 odds this is a troll or another user name for a regular user.

If not, welcome to the forums.

Oh No! Please stop the guy from sparring!!! He might learn something!!!!!

After three years, training two styles, and your sifu won't let him spar anyone from other styles? I would have to say I think your sifu is wrong.

However, that's beside the point. Your mate should have kept his mouth shut and done it elsewhere, or quit the school. Unless he wants to become a champion for other like-minded people in your school, in which case with a sifu like that he's ****ed anyway.

And your friend's going to go and challenge other schools instead of having a friendly sample lesson or something? He's either an idiot or twelve years old, or you're a troll!

Or it could be that that isn't what the Sifu said at all. Could be that the Sifu said, "Do it if that's what you want, but you aren't using my kwoon..." If said associate was trying to save face for what ever reason, he might have changed the story this way. While my school doesn't do the whole turnemant thing, neither sifu prohibits us from competing. But we don't get to use the kwoon to prepare other than the regular classes, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    LOL....Like MMA is the be all end all..One of our part time WC students mixed it up with the local MMA champ with no problems, so NO it is not "no matter what you do or say, you will join a MMA gym anyways"
    Last edited by sihing; 04-20-2005 at 09:40 PM.

Isn't that why Many sifu don't want thier students to go out and spar other styles?

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it