Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: What makes a style complete?

Quote Originally Posted by Gangsterfist
    I kinda wish I had a working amiga to tinker with. Those were really cool machines.
    I'm talking 'bout the NEW amigas, running AmigaOS4 on PPC AmigaOne motherboards.

Marketing is the key here FSY. Microsoft can boast, XBOX exclusive. So that makes you want to buy an xbox. Personally I played KOTOR 1 when it very first came out at a video game store, I bought an xbox 2 weeks later to have just that game and fable which was in developement at the time. Marketing is why its not. And the hot sellers, aka KOTOR, jade empire, HALO, etc will be ported to the PC in a few months after it hits the xbox, again for marketing purposes. However, xbox does not have the market it wants in console gaming so it will continue to hold onto xbox only titles and it will buy up game dev teams to get people to buy their product. Its free enterprise and microsoft has got the money to do this type of stuff. It will work and if there is a game you want to play so bad that is xbox only you will go buy an xbox. This really hasn't been a big deal until the xbox came out and MS started buying up game dev teams, like rare and team ninja, and then making those games exclusive to the xbox only. Its a marketing strategy. Overall, I am pretty impressed with my xbox console system wise. It does not hold a stick to my PC though as far as gaming performance.

I have already proved PCs are more dominately used across the board for gaming, multimedia, film production, office use, and home use. And that the game market is still geared towards PC users over anything else. That is because the consoles are becoming more like PCs each generation, and that PCs are becoming so common in households that everyone wants to play games. I have clients that hate video games, but are totally addicted to the sims (i have no idea why).

AFAIK, amiga was bought out by gateway and then scrapped. I haven't followed them since and that was a few years ago.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

Quote Originally Posted by FatherDog
    Uh, sorry, no, you can't. The Mac graphic programs are still better, especially video editing.
    Not realy, haven't been for almost a decade now. What you get is Mac making some small jump forward and claiming they are better when in reality, all software is pushed ahead AND that's mostly driven by the PC world. They lost the lead in anything but a solid OS system a long time ago, the only thing holding them up now are the Mac people who think this way, their donations to schools and Microsoft

I'll have to do some digging for some reasearch I did about 5 years ago on this subject. Some chick at a place I used to work used to Mac this and Mac that at everything. According to her if we had Macs we'd practically have world peace Either way I spent about 3 months doing all this research and then gave her this little packet on where exactly she was wrong. 6 months later she bought a PC. I'd like to think I had some influence in that.

Now you've got to understand, I once believed that Mac had it figured out. If they hadn't shot themselves in the foot by excluding third parties for so long, we'd probably be on Macs right now. however, they were short sighted and lost the battle. now their perpetuated by some urban myth that they have the better graphics design software when it turns out paying more for it doesn't necessarily make it better.

I have already proved PCs are more dominately used across the board for gaming, multimedia, film production, office use, and home use. And that the game market is still geared towards PC users over anything else. That is because the consoles are becoming more like PCs each generation, and that PCs are becoming so common in households that everyone wants to play games. I have clients that hate video games, but are totally addicted to the sims (i have no idea why).
    Like I said before, I am quite aware of the dominance of the pc industry. Then again, there are more TKD places out there ... ::grin::
    AFAIK, amiga was bought out by gateway and then scrapped. I haven't followed them since and that was a few years ago.
    If you're interested, check out http://amigaworld.net/.

oh yeah one more thing. those guys at Pixar may have used macs for some of their work, but I bet you big money that they started out on macs from the get go. Thats the "cycle of life" for mac and the biggest reason they still do computers at all. These guys start out in high school learning graphics on macs because macs are donated or given to school systems at a significantly lower price then a consumer would purchase them. They move on to using macs in college for much the same reasons, and some where down the road, they fall into the macs have bette graphics capabilities line of thinking and never really get out. What's funny is there is a reason why those guys end up building their own machines and using sun and all that. They can't let go of mac but those machines are all better for what they need.

Quote Originally Posted by red5angel
    I'll have to do some digging for some reasearch I did about 5 years ago on this subject. Some chick at a place I used to work used to Mac this and Mac that at everything. According to her if we had Macs we'd practically have world peace Either way I spent about 3 months doing all this research and then gave her this little packet on where exactly she was wrong. 6 months later she bought a PC. I'd like to think I had some influence in that.
    5 years ago the mac really was in a bad state. Check out the current mac's and in particular OSX. Good stuff, esp compared to a windows based PC.
    I can also understand the disappointment over the old system XX based mac's as well as the reluctance to head that way now. A lot of things in pc+winxp are now MUCH better than on the mac of 5 years ago.

oh yeah one more thing. those guys at Pixar may have used macs for some of their work, but I bet you big money that they started out on macs from the get go. Thats the "cycle of life" for mac and the biggest reason they still do computers at all. These guys start out in high school learning graphics on macs because macs are donated or given to school systems at a significantly lower price then a consumer would purchase them. They move on to using macs in college for much the same reasons, and some where down the road, they fall into the macs have bette graphics capabilities line of thinking and never really get out. What's funny is there is a reason why those guys end up building their own machines and using sun and all that. They can't let go of mac but those machines are all better for what they need.

Read that article I posted, Pixar is now using intel based computers and linux for their render farm, and not xserves. That is because the PC versions out perform Macs in rendering and straight up number crunching.

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

Actually,

The desktops the designers use may be macs, but the render farm is build of PC clusters.

http://www.canopus.us/us/canopus/pr_ProCoder_RFarm.asp

http://www.root6.com/Integration/ella.htm

Here is a posting for a admin to a render farm. Note you need linux and windows experience.

http://www.miscojobs.com/jobs/L_3/job_163558.htm

http://dv411.com/rfarm.html

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/9967

http://www.linuxnetworx.com/news/4.2...Networx_R.html

So, really Hollywood is using PCs man. Your information is false. The reason Pixar uses macs is because the probably get them for free or very cheap. However Pixar recently switched to the dark side and now runs intel based technology adn Linux.

read this and weap

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2003/02/10.7.shtml
    Notice that NONE OF THESE LINKS aside fromt he last one say anything about Pixar. The last one, dated 2003, states that Pixar is switching from Sparc to Intel for its render farms.

THIS link -
    http://www.macnn.com/articles/04/03/...es.to.os.x.g5/

dated 2004, states "Pixar has used Linux and Intel-based architecture in 2003, but that Pixar was switching to Mac OS X and G5 workstations for its production work".

So how about you read THAT and "weap".

oh yeah one more thing. those guys at Pixar may have used macs for some of their work, but I bet you big money that they started out on macs from the get go.
    Hey, that'd be a NO. As you can see from that article, they WERE using Linux-based Intel architecture, but SWITCHED to MacOS.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

ok nerds what have we learned?

what makes a system complete? - nothing, it's the stylist not the style.

pc or mac? - wing chun or ving tsun

and finally:

your favourite band sucks.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

oh well i am sure that pixar got that stuff for free or really cheap since xserves are not the best nor fastest machines out there for render farms and the rest of hollywood runs on PCs.

Thanks for the update tho FD, I was unaware they went back to using macs.

-Yip Man

oh well i am sure that pixar got that stuff for free or really cheap since xserves are not the best nor fastest machines out there for render farms and the rest of hollywood runs on PCs.

Thanks for the update tho FD, I was unaware they went back to using macs.
    I doubt they're using the macs for the render farm. The best price/perf for rendering would be a farm of AMD's. The macs are probably used for the design work.

And finally KL/David Jamieson sucks ::grin::

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie1
    Take the pebble from my hand, grasshopper...
    David carradine is one of the best martial artist in the world. i hope to be like him someday. Don't believe me check the voting results on this survey. He's got my vote. IMOH he is second to Bruce Lee.

http://martial-arts-network.com/survey.htm

- Special training to enhance certain moves.
    They are basic skills practices. Including breathing, actual move drills, practice how to store and release Jing, against resistence with partner or props, slowly to gain proficiency and then real time drills, etc.

- Training to be able to take strikes on different part of the body.
    This is called Pai Da Gong .

- Counters for all the moves.
    Yes, always study and practice moves and counter moves in pair. And there is more than one counter move. This way we also understand the limits or weakness of the move. To gain advantage in a certain area in a certain move, we also incur disadvantage in other area.

Counters against all counters.
    This is a even higher level of learning. This is to improve your first move.

Counter all moves. It is like Yin and Yang. It is Tai Chi.

Counter the counter moves. It is called the level of Wu Ji.

Tai Chi is the ultimate limit. Whenever, you set a factor or a limit. There are things within the limit, Yang. There are things outside of the limit, Yin. They interact in a Tai Chi way.

Wu Ji is ultimate of no limit. Limitless, formless, more than one form, etc.

Last edited by SPJ; 05-07-2005 at 08:07 AM.