Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wing Chun - What if the Enemy doesn't stick?

vingtsunstudent Guest
    i am sorry hing but we are talking about wing chun & if you think it is for self defence only then you are sadly mistaken but then again you are entitled to your own opinion.
    my wing chun comes via wong shun leung & barry lee both of whom were well known in hong kong for fighting challenge matches, again i don't mean to be rude but what is your style & were you taught by your mother or is that just her phylosophy on the martial arts?
    vts
    ps at which piont did i claim to be a master?

Sihing73 Guest
    Hello Hing,

you posted:
    "Valraven.
    Your point that Wing Chun was devised to use against Shoalin is incorrect. Ng Mui was a nun of Shoalin, who was Yim Wing Chun's teacher. So why would the nun do that.
    Where do you get your info from?"

Wing Chun is traditionaly known to have been developed to help revoluntionary fighters oppose the Ming. Since many of those in the army had been exposed to Shoalin and because of the story of a renegade Shoalin Monk, Meng Er (?) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] many of the techniques were designed to fight Shoalin type of techniques.

Wing Chun is an ecletic systme and seems to be a distillation of the concetps of many other systems. It seems to have been created to oppose the deeper and lower stances of some others. There were other sysems besides Shoalin at the time to be used to fight so it is not likely that Wing Chun was designed specifically for use against Sholina only.

As to the story of Ng Mui the story is that she developed Wing Chun after the burning of the Shoalin Temple and was afraid that some Ming taught Shaolin by Meng Er would hunt her down. So, she developed a system more in line with her advancing age and needs as a woman. Nice story.

Bottom line is that Wing Chun was created specifically for combat. It is a true revolutionary art in that it was designed to fight other martial arts in use at thte time by those in the government. Still the history is so shrouded that we may never know the full story.

Peace,

Dave

Valraven Guest
    Dave is right.
    Also, the belief that Ng Muy was the creator of Wing Chun is held by many to be no more than a myth. It is also thought by many that Wing Chun's current state was refined
    primarily on the streets of Hong Kong in mostly modern times (Yip Man era).
    Who knows for sure, but make no mistake, despite when it was invented, Wing Chun was devised to combat "Shoalin like" styles.
    Valraven

Hing Guest
    Thank you for enlightening me Valraven,Sihing 73.
    Cha Kuen Why did you post the question ''what if your opponent doesn't stick'' If you have a Sifu why not ask him or are you having a dig at Wing Chun?
    Does he know what ''sticky hands'' is for?

The Iceman Guest

What if

If the opponent disengages attack!!!!!!!!!!!

vingtsunstudent Guest
    presuming we are still talking about someone who is intent on fighting, you would(or should) follow them & continue attacking until they are no longer a threat.
    you would not(or should not) allow them to get away as this gives them a chance to regroup & possibly turn the outcome of the fight in their favour.(you will generally find that someone who is constantly trying to move away is not comfortable at this range, so your intention is keep them as uncomfortable as possible)