Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun - What if the Enemy doesn't stick?

HuangKaiVun Guest
    In my own experience, the Wing Chun style is meant to be liberally interpreted to provide both short and long distance techniques.

This opinion was corroborated by a Yip Man-Yip Chun authenticated lineage holder.

"Sticking" is an exercise designed to teach beginners how to spar in a controlled fashion.

In almost every instance I've done chi sao with advanced WC practitioners, the sticking "degenerates" into all-out sparring.

If you look at the awful Hong Kong movie "Bruce Lee, the Man and the Myth" featuring the imitator Bruce Li, it features a display of how chi sao can degenerate into a non-sticking situation (Yip Chun is in the movie playing his father!)

The Chum Kiu form teaches a great deal of evasive and circular footwork, and a liberal interpretation (the point of Wing Chun) will provide anybody with a complete arsenal of footwork to fight any boxer (or any martial artist, for that matter).

vingtsunstudent Guest
    i would tend to agree with sihing in saying that it will vary from school to school this can also be attributed to the fact that some have begun to stray from wing chuns basic principles(unfortunatly).if however the school is of a good standard i would be of the belief that in 1 year of hard training you should be more than able to handle yourself.
    you should also take into account your indervidual learning abilities as i have found that sometimes it can take some people up to ten times longer than others to grasp wing chuns true fighting philosophy.
    vts

Twinsen Guest
    Greetings my friends,

How high does Wing Chun style kick?

thanks,

------------------
    ~Guybrush~

Sihing73 Guest
    Hi Twinsen,

There are various lineages of Wing Chun. However, I think it safe to say most branches owuld opt for low or mid-level kicks. By thisI mean waist level or below. The reasons would be practicality and maintainance of structure or balance. Of course, there are exceptions.

For example, I have been know to kick my opponent in the head....of course I had already broken his structure and he was bending over bringing his head to a point where I did not have to reach that high [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Peace,

Dave

sifu dan Guest
    wing chun vs. oxing is tough,only because you cant get to caught up in thinking. against a boxer,i suggest keeping your weight on your rear leg,and keep poking your foot jab,when he gets close,then with good timing,pick a time and enter. i like to enter off his jab,you can send his energy back int him,if you enter correctly.the hardest thing i found was when a boxer using a jab hook,wit the same hand.if yo did a pak da entry on hs jab,nd off your pak,he usd that energy to throw he hook,you beeter have your wu sau up.also,if you pak correctly and send it back into him,you will be ok.stickin isonly for tims when the speed of yours and your opponents hands are to fast to block,stick and feel.same with trapping,you will never trap 2 hands on top of each other in the street.alot of street guys bhave no form,you must blast down the middle if they swing wild. most boxersand thugs are ovrwhelmed with the chain punch and front kick combined.use hands and feet,and the boxer cant match. however,boxrs hit and get hit all day,if you train wing chun drills all day,and dont get hit,a boxer will have yo for lunch.

Hing Guest
    Hey Guys how about shin kicking on a boxer. Why bother with ''sticky hands''.
    Most boxers would leave their stance to attack.
    Too much emphasis on sticky hands and violence if you try to knock out in one blow.
    Kung Fu is only for self-defense.

vingtsunstudent Guest
    hing
    kf is only for self defence?
    who taught you that nonsense and also who said anything about using kf and trying to knock them out with 1 punch?
    please explain?
    by the way a shinkick to a boxer isn't always going to work either.
    vts

Valraven Guest
    Rember that Wing Chun's trapping range is, in reality, very fleeting. Wing Chun guys know this and their fighting strategy will adapt.
    Also remember that Wing Chun was designed to defeat Shaolin Kung Fu. Not western boxing.
    This is not to say that they can't defeat a boxer, its just not what the art was developed for.
    When someone goes to engage, that is when Wing Chun acts. Not while someone is dancing
    around outside of kicking range.

vingtsunstudent Guest
    if a fight is iminent, as the case will quite often be if someone is dancing around you wanting to fight, wing chun players will not always wait for the opponent to engage, just as all styles should, wing chun has many entry technics & i can tell you that i have personally found them to be quite affective on boxers.
    vts

Hing Guest
    Valraven.

Your point that Wing Chun was devised to use against Shoalin is incorrect. Ng Mui was a nun of Shoalin, who was Yim Wing Chun's teacher. So why would the nun do that.
    Where do you get your info from?

cha kuen Guest
    Truthfully, the way many sifus teach today, a 5 year boxer can wipe the floor with 90% of the kung fu guys today. It breaks my heart to say that but it's true.

Hing Guest
    Valraven.

Your point that Wing Chun was devised to use against Shoalin is incorrect. Ng Mui was a nun of Shoalin, who was Yim Wing Chun's teacher. So why would the nun do that.
    Where do you get your info from?
    vingtsunstudent
    You seem to be a true MASTER.
    Your answer to your question is my mother taught me that ''nonsense''
    Who taught you that kf was not for self defense only.

[This message has been edited by Hing (edited 09-12-2000).]

cha kuen Guest
    The way many sifus teach today, a good 5 year boxer would kill 90% of the kung fu guys today.

Hing Guest
    Cha Kuen
    I totally agree.
    So why are you interested in kung fu? Why not boxing?

cha kuen Guest
    I have learned simple techniques in kung fu that have everything boxing has and more. Especially if you learn a style like praying mantis. To keep it short, I have a sifu who knows how to teach true traditional kung fu.