Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teaching Tai Chi/Chi Kung to the Elderly

M.i.l.f. ?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho
    Apparently what I have suggested is not what you want to hear. Since I did not charge you for any service fee, please just ignore my "free" comment and that will be OK with me. No need to force yourself to agree something that you don't want to.
    Actually, I'm seriously considering your advice to make them run 3 miles. I could use a little personal liability from the wrongful death litigation that would arise from that pearl of wisdom. How much is that advice worth?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    M.i.l.f. ?
    No. Most certainly not.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

For health only

All martial arts start 'for health only'. Health is the most important. It far outweighs fighting applications. You can't be a martial arts master without a healthy body as a foundation. If you've ever taught beginners, you know that the first step is to get them into decent shape. Any combat applications come later. And mastery comes much later. That being said, very few people ever become masters. Most of us slog through our practice and acheive some level of competence. Speaking for myself, mastery seems so far away from me that I don't even think of it as a goal state anymore.

Tai Chi/qigong for health only is one of the greatest contributions of our practice to humanity. We're all getting older. We all have to take care of the elderly - our parents, our friends - to see help see them through their autumn years. Being able to share the health aspects of our practice is wonderful. They will never reach the highest levels of martial arts, nor even some of the lowest levels, but they will be better persons for it. And so will we, when we share.

I saw the senior tai chi class where the teacher had broken down the basic yang moves into 'calls' not unlike in a square dance. He'd get the music going and call out the moves and the students would all dance about. It was great. They were all so enthusiastic and joyful while getting some exercise. The teacher was really charismatic - he was no master, but he did have some skill. More important, he used his tai chi to heal instead of to harm. That's real tai chi when you can do that.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    I saw the senior tai chi class where the teacher had broken down the basic yang moves into 'calls' not unlike in a square dance. He'd get the music going and call out the moves and the students would all dance about. It was great. They were all so enthusiastic and joyful while getting some exercise. The teacher was really charismatic - he was no master, but he did have some skill. More important, he used his tai chi to heal instead of to harm. That's real tai chi when you can do that.
    That's a wonderful idea. I'd like to see how that fit together.

JP--don't get mad at YouKnowWho because he figured out your plot. We all know that you are trying to get together an army of elderly taiji warriors to go teach bad taiji to the world. Once they've done that you can bust out your real taiji skills and take over.

raise your hands now drop them down
    hold a ball and turn around
    part horses mane return to ball
    part horses mane, watch don't fall

single whip and play pi pei
    white crane spreads wings
    now brush that knee!

repulse that monkey 1,2,3
    drop that needle into the sea

hey ho!

hey ho

hey ho

lets go!

Tai chi
    Tai chi

for you and me!

and so on
    Kung Fu is good for you.

if you're not teachng the elderly to fight 100% all the time you're just masterbating.

masturbating the elderly is not recommended.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    I don't want to know how you know that.

KL...oops... I mean David

OMG. Better not grow old then. Actually, you're little spoof of the square dance tai chi three posts up ain't far off the mark. Only instead of 'hey ho' it was 'dosey do'. OK, seriously now, that guy's class was a heck of a lot better than group musical internal forms competition...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i must crush the elderly.
    where's my beer?

The difference between dancing and MA is that dancing has no guideline but MA does. If you move both of your hands horizontally from right to left and with your "right palm down and left palm up" then if would not make sense in MA even it look as pretty as "right palm up and left palm down".

Teaching application to elders may waste your time but it would help them to remember the internal meaning and respect CMA even they can't care less about Oriental culture.
    I don't know how to dance. I do know Tai Chi 24. Besdies Tai Chi has different physical principles than dancing. These are apparent through breath, posture, rooting, cooridination of body etc that are unique to Tai Chi. They can learn this, and get the unique health benefits to this, without knowing the joint lock applications of single whip or the various throws from Repulse the Monkey. I'll mention the application to them once they are comfortable with the core movement and principles. Even then, I'm not going to demonstrate it on anyone. They are too aold and fragile for that type of training. Can you not graps the concept that this is a specialized class for a specialized need? Or should we still run 3 miles to warm up?

I volunteer to teach a class, and you accuse me of being lazy and not wanting to "waste my time" by teaching applications. Your rationale really amazes me.

you guys should try an art that is both fighting AND dancing :P

I have seen several old guys in their 70th or even 80th are still run everyday in my neighborhood. My father in law was still doing his garden work at his age of 95. Didn't know your group of old folks are so out of shape.
    Your so dense U238 appears to be a gas to me now.

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman