Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 72 Consummate Arts Secrets of the Shaolin Temple

Question 72 arts?

Can anyone give me any idea of what the bone cleansing Shaolin art is? Does anyone have any idea how it's done? I've heard of it but can't find any info on it. Thanks.
    The humble is the stem upon which the mighty grows

youshang

Dear Youshang,
    You may wish to refer to a book by Sifu Yang Jwing Ming, I forgot the name, but it is something like "Brain Washing Muscle Changing Classic" "Yi Chin Ching". He is a great author and publisher on martal classics and teachings.

Also Mantak Chia has a similar book on the subject.

Sorry I dont know the names of the books, but you should be able to find them on Amazon.com. Or for the first book go to YMAA website.

http://www.ymaa.com/

Cheers

Buddhapalm
    "In heaven and earth no spot to hide;
    Bliss belongs to one that knows that things
    are empty and that man too is nothing.
    Splendid indeed is the Mongol longsword
    Slashing the spring wind like a flash of lightning !"

Monk Wu-hsueh Tsu-yuan - Reciting as the Mongol sabers slashed towards him. The Mongols spared him out of respect. For no ordinary man recites a poem facing death.

Smile 72 Consummate Arts Secrets of the Shaolin Temple

Hi Youshang,Buddhapalm,

If you click on the link it will take you to where you can buy a copy of book on 72 Consummate Arts Secrets of the Shaolin Temple,

http://www.wle.com//products/b013.html

Also if you go to the link below that will take you to a web page with a list of the 72 arts,

http://www.kungfulibrary.com/shaolin-kung-fu-4.htm

Sheldon

Geezer

Thanks Geezer,
    Yes I have that book, its great. Havent tried them yet, but I should really try some....especially the hour horse holding a huge stone :-))) I have to cut down on the sins of the flesh before I can reach the true Shaolin level.

Cheers

Buddhapalm

Monk Wu-hsueh Tsu-yuan - Reciting as the Mongol sabers slashed towards him. The Mongols spared him out of respect. For no ordinary man recites a poem facing death.

I want to set up a school based on those. with the gecko climbing arts and inhaling yin and so forth

Gecko

The inhaling yin art would scare any would-be assailant away....now you see it....now you dont. If that didn't work, just climb up the wall to escape like a gecko. Spiderman vs geckoman :-)))

Some of the exercises looked good, but some were more suitable for x-men.

Cheers

Buddhapalm

"punching without kicks, he will be a harumscarum his whole life"

One of the other posts here from a few weeks ago was about a guy who went to the original temple which is being exgavated now. There's a picture of these gigantic rocks that look like stonehenge that were apparently used for training. terrifying

Question 72 shaolin arts?

Can anyone explain what the 72 arts of shaolin are?

I read this webpage http://www.kungfulibrary.com/shaolin-kung-fu-4.htm and had a lot of trouble understanding what its all about. The names are just really cryptic.

I get the impression that the 72 arts are basically conditioning methods, am I correct?

There is a pretty popular book out there called "72 Consummate Arts Secrets of the Shaolin Temple." It is orange and on the cover is a drawing of a monk kicking. The skills that the book focuses on are not all conditioning methods, or at least not what we would call "conditioning methods." Some are, like the Iron skills, but others, like the training of lightness (think "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon") are different. The book definitely has that "mystical" air about it. So if you're interested in learning about all those crazy physical feats you have heard about (and many of which you haven't), I suppose this would be a good place to start. I also think the book "Kung Fu: History, Philosophy, and Technique" has some material on these skills.

I allways thought there were 108 "Gongs" or "skills" of Shaolin, and that book only showed 72 of them. Am I right??
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I have the book to. I don't know if they are taken from the 108 thingys but I don't think so. Some one here once described them as "more or less impossible for non x-men" and I'd tend to agree. There's alot of very hard iron fist/ iron shirt types of things. It's really over the top
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

I don't know, most of what I see is feasable for mear mortals given enough training time. I especially liked the "Shaolin Swimming" chapter.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Royal Dragon,

The term "72 arts of shaolin" are quite well known in the CMA community and often used in novels and movies. I have never it being taken from 108 arts.

wm

interesting. I have seen Shaolin Gongs that are not in that book, so there are more than 72 of them

For the Women:

+ = & a

gecko wall climbing is not feasible
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu