Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun sparring Clips

Wing Chun sparring Clips

These are some clips of Carl and myself doing some sparring with my colleagues.

http://wing-chun.nu/cwc_video_sparring.htm

Enjoy!

Marty
    Marty Yoder
    Leadership: Learn It. Live It. Lead Others To It.
    http://wingchunner.tripod.com
    http://www.immortalpalm.com

Ummm, dunno if I'd call that sparring.

The chi sao looked pretty fluid for everyone playing, but extremely cooperative.

And the platforms? While resticting footwork can be a good attribute builder, and I've done my time on balance apparatus, all that seems to do is re-inforce not solving problems with a step, rather than challenging balance. You might want to try building some I beams- 2 parallel 1x4"s connected by a 1x4" with slide apparatus to adjust distance between the two. This does the same thing as the platform, but doesn't let you make little cheater steps, and the dropoff is less dramatic, which has some advantages.

Sorry to b*tch, I'll try to find something constructive to say when I have a little more time.

Andrew

If this is what you call sparring then could you post a clip of what you call chi sao?

Hence why I don't like the term "sparring" -- it means many things to many different people, most often some variation of "game that has some small relationship to fighting."

Create bad habet. Only push not continue action. Need close down.
    thank for clip. Good to sea other.

Real classy vids. Did you think we would be impressed with how little control you have smacking around your lessor skilled "opponents"?

If you're a higher level student, you shouldn't be asking "are you okay" as many times as you did.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Unhappy ???

I was going to show my friends, who are interested in wing chun,
    this forum, but now I'm not.
    I'm embarassed. I don't want people to think the videos here
    is representative of wing chun.

Marty: 2 questions

The man who volunterred to host the May event I proposed is your sifu, Carl Dechiara...is that correct?

Is that Carl in the vids wearing the red hat?
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 04-24-2005 at 12:09 AM.

Sparring?

Love to hear Kenneth Chung's impression of those clips.

Very impressed with Carl but not the way you thought.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

So that's Carl Dechiara, the man Red5Angel has so much to say about....

disappointed. It will sound nasty saying it, but he looked very standard indeed.

I don't know why I was expecting more, but I was. Have seen many people with better position, use of body, stepping (heavy stepping here that looked dead) and better use of hand positioning.

Oh well...
    *There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen
    Real classy vids. Did you think we would be impressed with how little control you have smacking around your lessor skilled "
    Hey Van,
    I'm with you. It's quite sad, really.

By the way, the clips with Carl are not sparring, nor are they chi sao, IMO.
    I would classify it as being a bully, to put it politely....

Like you said B&B, "disappointed" seems to be an appropriate comment.

Victor, have fun in Cleveland.

Peace,
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

You've read my mind, Bill (Matrix)...

I now know that it was Carl Dechiara in the red hat - and the proverbial schoolyard bully is exactly how he comes off in the vids.

Setting guys up for a big pounding (punching, kicking, palm striking way too hard)...guys who don't seem to have any clue about what's coming - and no real skills to stop it even if they did know.

(And the fact that they were confined to a 4' by 4' platform only served to set them up even more - as their mobility was severely hampered).

I've already told Marty (wingchunner) how shocked I am by these vids; and I now find the situation to be a bit of a dilemma. I actually didn't get to see any of the vids until last night - but one of my top guys, Myron Young, (who appeared with me on my vids) called me yesterday morning to say that he can come to Cleveland after all...so I now have two of my very best guys (Michael Mundy is the other) who are willing to come...and I'm confident that the three of us are not only capable of taking care of ourselves individually - but are more than willing to watch each other's back as well.

But it's sad that I even have to say that...

and what I also find ironic is that Carl and Marty added a few points to the original 10 Point Proposal...one of them being this:

12.) No one is to come to prove anything. Mean people or people with bad attitudes are not welcome and will be asked by the group to leave.

AND HOW DO YOU ASK THE HOST OF THE EVENT TO LEAVE HIS OWN HOUSE ???

...Since he appears to be exactly the type of guy he describes in point #12 !!!

I'm going to have to show these vids to Mike and Myron, and we'll need to discuss the implications of this very thoroughly.

Furthermore: If anyone else who planned on coming to Cleveland have any concerns - please feel free to email me at (wingchun@usa.com) to discuss the matter...or you can post something on this thread - whatever works for you.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 04-24-2005 at 09:45 AM.

Sparring with a sifu that gives you no chance is no way to learn.
    In one of the clips, the lesser skilled student easily gets hit without a good attempt to cover himself, then Carl (knowing he can get in with that shot) fires off a second hit with way more intensity. How do you learn in that environment?
    I also noticed how Carl is constantly repeating "sorry", like it's a bad habit.

Quote Originally Posted by wing_nut
    In one of the clips, the lesser skilled student easily gets hit without a good attempt to cover himself, then Carl (knowing he can get in with that shot) fires off a second hit with way more intensity. How do you learn in that environment?
    Exactly. By the way this happens more than once.
    One shot to the head (Carl&Steve 7) and one kick(Carl&Steve 9).
    What I find most disturbing is that Carl seems to guide the student to let him hit him even easier. In one clip(Carl&Steve 4), he's telling the guy to use less force, when the student complies, he strikes him. Nice lesson.

This student is not at a level where he has a hope in he11 of defending himself.
    I see an Ego trip in progress.

I'm sorry to be so critical. I just think a teacher has some responsibilty to never abuse his superior position/skill/power with a student.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun
    and what I also find ironic is that Carl and Marty added a few points to the original 10 Point Proposal...one of them being this:

12.) No one is to come to prove anything. Mean people or people with bad attitudes are not welcome and will be asked by the group to leave.

AND HOW DO YOU ASK THE HOST OF THE EVENT TO LEAVE HIS OWN HOUSE ???

...Since he appears to be exactly the type of guy he describes in point #12 !!!
    Victor,
    I don't think there's anything "ironic" about this at all.
    You, Mike, Myron, Phil Redmond and other attendees are skilled players. You would not sit still for these sort of tactics, and your skill would be more than a match for him, IMO.

Bullies don't pick fights with their superiors.