Yin - Yang Theory

Hi all.

just a quick question:

hot water is yang to cold water

an icecube is yin to cold water?

or is icecube Yang cos it is "hard"

or is it ?"yang within yin" ?

OR?

im trying to learn more about yin yang theory and that occurec to me.. on first though icecube as "colder" is yin to just cold water.. but then its conpressed and hard?

within tcm yin yang thoery how would u classify that situation.. just for interest sake as i guess its getting pedantic but just a thought that occured.

thank you

Hi 5thBrother,

Something is Yin or Yang only in relation to something else. Yin and Yang are not really opposites as many suppose. They are contrasting principles, not opposite principles. An ice cube is Yang to water’s Yin when contrasting states of matter, but Yin to water’s Yang when contrasting temperatures.

Another example I frequently use to describe the principle is this:

Take three bowls of water.

One bowl has 40*F water, the second 60*F water and the third 80*F water.

The 60*F bowl is Yang to the 40*F bowl, but Yin to the 80*F bowl. In terms of temperature the 60*F bowl is neither Yin nor Yang by any inherent characteristic. However, we will experience it as either Yin or Yang depending upon which other bowl we contrast it with. The temperature does not change how we perceive it does.

In terms of the ice cube, if I am trying to cool my drink I am utilizing the Yin principle of the ice cube. If I am trying to hit someone with it I am using the Yang principle of the ice cube. So it is not just how we contrast the phenomenon in question but also how we intend to utilize it that matters.

Yin or Yang exists only in a relationship, and is not an inherent characteristic possessed by anything.

Therefore, nothing is inherently Yin or Yang. Yin or Yang is designated depending upon how things are contrasted and utilized. In like manner, the sun is considered Yang, however if it were contrasted with a brighter or hotter star it would become Yin in the contrasting of the two.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 04-30-2005 at 03:15 AM.

That is it in a nutshell. I agree 100%.

Yin/yang is always relative or conditioned. It is an artificial discrimination of our word-minds. Useful, but it can trap us if we assume the distinction is absolute.

thanks.

thanks guys.

very clear post.

the ice thing had be a bit confused.... i should of though to break it down into comparing TWO aspects: hardness to cold water and coldness to cold water..

very helpful

thanks again

Well put, Mr. Brown. Very good explanation.

Hi 5thBrother,

It was a very good question!!!

Glad to be of help!

Took me awhile to read this one. Good explaination. I might have to steal the three bowls example to use in class.