Thread: City Hunter

「劇場版シティーハンター」特報 | 2019年2月8日(金)全国ロードショー

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Cool. A new City Hunter anime. I'm interested.

In Taiwan, I read the original manga series (translated into Chinese) before I ever saw the original anime series. The manga was very funny, but more sexually suggestive than the anime series was. That's one of the things that made it funny. The way it was in the manga will never be put onto film, either anime or live-action. Another thing that made the manga funny was that it mixed comedy with seriousness.

IMO, Jackie Chan's portrayal of Ryo Saeba was horrible. He did not fit the character at all. And the humor was overdone and way off.

「劇場版シティーハンター <新宿プライベート・アイズ>」本予告 | 2019&#

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Coming to Netflix in 2024

Netflix Sets Live-Action Film Adaptation of Classic Manga ‘City Hunter’ (Exclusive)
    Created by legendary artist Tsukasa Hojo, the manga was a staple of Japanese pop culture throughout the 1980s, selling over 50 million copies around the world.

BY PATRICK BRZESKI

DECEMBER 14, 2022 2:00PM

‘City Hunter’ NETFLIX

In another boost to its growing Japanese content slate, Netflix has greenlit a live-action movie adaptation of the classic Japanese manga City Hunter. Japanese leading man Ryohei Suzuki (Tokyo MER, Segodon) has signed on to star in the iconic role of Ryo Saeba, with filmmaker Yuichi Sato (Kisaragi, Strawberry Nights and The End of the Tiny World) onboard to direct.

Created by manga artist Tsukasa Hojo, City Hunter was a staple of Japanese pop culture throughout the 1980s, selling over 50 million copies around the world. The franchise spawned a popular anime series and numerous feature-length adaptations, including movies made in Hong Kong (one starring Jackie Chan), France and mainland China, but this will be there first time the property is adapted as a live-action film in its native Japan.

Netflix describes the project as “a modern-day updated version of the manga, set in the bustling streets of Shinjuku. The streamer has set a 2024 target launch for the film.

“When Ryo’s partner Makimura is killed,” the longline adds, “he and Makimura’s sister Kaori team up to find out the truth, thus forming a new duo.”

The adaptation’s screenplay was written by Tatsuro Mishima, who scripted several episode’s of Netflix’s Japanese original series Yu Yu Hakusho.

Suzuki says the adaptation will “aim to strike the right balance between realism and fantasy, as well as tones from the 80s and today.” He also notes a great deal of pressure in assuming the mantle of such an iconic character.

“I am thrilled to be playing Ryo Saeba and feel a great deal of responsibility to portray this beloved, legendary character created by Tsukasa Hojo,” Suzuki says. “I cannot wait for both existing fans as well as newcomers around the world to fall in love with Ryo Saeba and his fun, action-packed adventures around modern-day Tokyo.”

According to Hojo, the Japanese feature adaptation unveiled Thursday by Netflix has been in the works for a decade. “I always hoped the lead would be played by someone who really liked City Hunter and thanks to Ryohei’s unwavering passion, the time has finally come,” he adds. “Thanks to the dedicated cast and crew, I’m looking forward to the title being brought to screen, with a fresh and realistic perspective that isn’t strictly bound to the original manga.”

Shinichi Takahashi is the project’s sole executive producer, while Keisuke Sanpei and Kosuke Oshida produce. Netflix is producing the film in partnership with Tokyo-based production companies Horipro and Office Shirous.
    I suppose this should be split into something independent of the Jackie Chan thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I suppose this should be split into something independent of the Jackie Chan thread.
    I hope it fairs better than Cowboy Bebop (which I actually liked by the way).
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Kevin73

You inspired me to split this thread from Jackie-Chan-s-City-Hunter to an indie City-Hunter one. I think Jackie's take on it (which I did enjoy for all the wrong reasons) is a separate thing. And I'm willing to keep an open mind with Netflix's new take on this.

In all honestly, I don't really know the franchise very well. Jackie's film was my introduction.

I saw you had the last word on Netflix's Cowboy Bebop
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

City Hunter | Official Teaser | Netflix

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips