Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung-Fu Music

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Kung-Fu Music

Taken from the first Kung-Fu Hustle Thread:

Quote Originally Posted by No_Know
    A superior fighting skill of Kung-Fu is indicated to be Music, and restructuring sound in a focused manner. The tunes were probabally hints as to the attacks. I should go study the classics more...
    This is really cool! Many martial artists and Kung-Fu masters are also musicians, or have musical ability. I just thought this was an incidental correlation, but it appears that there's more to it...does anyone have any further insights?

On a strictly superficial level, I can weave parallels between my form performance and in general, things like combat drills or hitting the bag, with my compositioning, in terms of dynamics, rhythm, etc. ...but that's purely on an external level.

I'd be curious to know anything about the internal aspects, if anyone has any insight into it.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

If you read about the old time kung fu guys, they always recommend "scholarly pursuits" such as music, calligraphy etc.

It seems obvious that if you can gain a grasp of rythym thru music, you could apply that knowledge to martial arts. There are the chinese stories of many martial artists also being members of opera actors in old time china.

I think the idea of music opening up a different part of the brain might be just as important. Different subjects use different parts of the brain. If all you do is fight, you only ever use the fighting part of your brain. If you play music or learn other things, more of your brain opens up and you can apply that to the kung fu.

Music has psychological effects that are obvious so a knowledge of that might be good for kung fu. If you know which music evokes fear or paranoia, you could imitate those sounds to invoke fear and paranoia in an opponent. That is how some people "psych out" other people. They use their voice like a musical instrument and play whatever "music" evokes the desired emotion in the other person.

If you go back to Confucian times you will find that within that system of thought, and others I might add, music was believed to come from the heavens.

When a musician is creating song, it is said that the sounds flowing from their creativity stem from the heavens and gods themselves.

It is also said that you can tell the state of a culture based upon the popular musical trends.

Look at modern society, mainly large cultural areas, USA, Canada, Japan, China, Germany, England, and so on, this is not excluding other areas, but in general our new musical trends are thus:

Very violent, sexually obsessive, and overall depressing.

The state of our modern cultures, if viewed from a Confucian musical standpoint, are in a state of constant violent flux, intermixed with confused desires of earthly pleasure.

In other words, we are going down hill and falling further out of reach with the heavens.

Music is an interesting thing. Find one who is truly at peace with themselves and listen to the music they will create. It will be a harmonious melody of joy and loving peace with often a tint of sorrow for the fellow man.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

performance AND chinese drums sums it up for me. the two combined heightens both the spirt and engery levels, especially when doing animal forms like tiger....its like a pep squad or something HAHAHA.

Bands that use the name Kung Fu

I'm taking this old thread in a new direction. Let's list some bands that use Kung Fu in the name (other than the Wu, which is already covered extensively here).

The first one that comes to mind is Kung Fu Vampire. They are horrorcore, which is a music movement that I'm rather dubious of.

Another is Asian Kung-Fu Generation, which I know nothing about beyond their website.

Another is Kung Fu, a jam band that more than a few friends have recommended to me specifically (but no one has dropped me a cd ) I don't have a site for them yet, but here's a review on jambase.com.

Here's a new one:
    Introducing Kung Fu Fax Machine
    By Nicole Sheahan
    Friday, Dec. 04, 2009

Kung Fu Fax Machine. Definition: a band that writes and performs witty, acoustic folk-rock music.

Before I even heard them play, their creative name intrigued me, and I wanted to like their music. I was not disappointed in the least when I saw them live. Kung Fu Fax Machine's lyrics are clever and thought-provoking. They express emotion through lyrics like:

"Suddenly your name is the name of a street

I found you in the place we were never supposed to meet

And the dawn and the music and the lights of the town

Have the glimmer of your laugh and the pain of an eternal now"

(Lyrics from track one on their album, "Déjà vu.")

In other words, it is not your typical returned missionary attempt at wooing the ladies through music. Their songs talk about the struggles of life, questions of social politics and, you guessed it -- unrequited love.

Mike McClellan and Trevor Matthews were next-door neighbors at Helaman Halls their freshman year at BYU. Matthews heard McClellan playing the guitar through the wall and brought his viola over for a jam session. They started co-writing songs and performing at open mics. Both left for two years to serve missions in Brazil and New Mexico.

McClellan and Matthews recognize how their missions have affected their music.

McClellan said, "I realized who I wanted to be and how seriously I wanted to take my music. I feel like I got a much bigger view of the world. I saw sides of life I had never fathomed. Without my mission in Brazil, I would have an extremely shallow, narrow view of people and what they face in life, and that would be apparent in my music."

About his mission in New Mexico, Matthews said, "My missionary service has given me a lot of experience that I draw from as a songwriter; it helped me learn patience. Patience is an important part of our craft because good music so rarely comes to you all at once. It is mostly a piece-by-piece experience."

Now they are back together writing and performing more than ever. They recently recorded their debut album, "The Light in the Eye." McClellan rocks out on the acoustic guitar, as does Matthews on viola. Jason Sanders keeps the beat on percussion.

"(We want) to make interesting, catchy music that is also poetic and artistic. I believe that accessibility and artistry ... are not mutually exclusive. It is our goal to combine the two," Matthews said.

When McClellan was asked how he'd describe Kung Fu Fax Machine's music, he said, "My answer in one word: wood. Both the sound of the band (three finely crafted pieces of wood) and our lyrics are earthy and real. I think a lot of the appeal of acoustic music could be pinned on that idea. Nothing electronic. Nothing artificial. The acoustic musician can pick up his instrument, walk into the woods, or sit down on a sidewalk and play without any help from electronics. Just a man and his wood."

Kung Fu Fax Machine's debut album will be released Dec. 10. For more information on their new album and CD release concert, visit www.kungfufaxmachine.blogspot.com.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The NYC metalcore band Merauder's first full length was titled "Master Killer" and their second was "Five Deadly Venoms."

Quote Originally Posted by yutyeesam View Post
    Taken from the first Kung-Fu Hustle Thread:

This is really cool! Many martial artists and Kung-Fu masters are also musicians, or have musical ability. I just thought this was an incidental correlation, but it appears that there's more to it...does anyone have any further insights?

On a strictly superficial level, I can weave parallels between my form performance and in general, things like combat drills or hitting the bag, with my compositioning, in terms of dynamics, rhythm, etc. ...but that's purely on an external level.

I'd be curious to know anything about the internal aspects, if anyone has any insight into it.

some ancients believed that music comes from the heavens and is displayed through our actions. such that our artistic expressions are windows of our souls that peer into the hights of heaven. with that belief its easy to see the correlation between music and combat, as both at their highest levels are forms of self expression.

of course that outlook is all a matter of personal belief.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

hmmmm... now imagine the approach from a deaf persons perspective.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    hmmmm... now imagine the approach from a deaf persons perspective.
    what approach? not sure what you're getting at. if you can't hear, then none of it applies.
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

what approach? not sure what you're getting at. if you can't hear, then none of it applies.
    you are suggesting the correlation between music and kung fu(martial arts), this is true, yet i am offering you to imagine what correltaion a deaf person would have... form can be directly linked to music tones, yes? expressing yourself corresponding to musical harmonies? ah well... nice to point this out anyway... made my brain go to work.

"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

More on Shaolin Death Squad

a positive review for Five Deadly Venoms
    ‘Five Deadly Venoms’ combines kung fu and metal
    By Aaron Burstein
    Campus Correspondent
    Published: Thursday, February 11, 2010
    Updated: Wednesday, February 10, 2010

For all the people who ever wished that their love of kung fu movies and progressive metal could be combined into one product, the mask-wearing mystery warriors known as Shaolin Death Squad are here to save the day with their second full-length album entitled “Five Deadly Venoms.” With their latest release, Shaolin Death Squad provides yet another reason why they deserve to be at the forefront of their genre.

But groups like Shaolin Death Squad have become the odd men out in the progressive metal scene. If well-known progressive metal bands like Dream Theater and Pain of Salvation are equivalent to groups like Genesis and Rush, Shaolin Death Squad must be more like Univers Zero and Henry Cow. SDS is a band that chooses to get their hands dirty and they aren’t afraid to dive into the truly bizarre. Their style deviates from the expected and it makes for a unique and exciting listening experience.

Perhaps it is an overstatement to claim that Shaolin Death Squad defines the more extreme ends of progressive metal, but they definitely bridge the gap between the straightforward, symphonic prog metal and the wild avant-garde. They employ jaunty, atonal songwriting that reveals a strong influence from avant-prog and even math rock. But they still retain the structured elements of more traditional prog metal, and they pay their homage to classic progressive rock bands while still including a healthy dose of experimentation.

Contrast is the key to “Five Deadly Venoms’” success. Every song is a balance between tension and melody. Just when the songs seem to be getting too strange, the sound always reverts back to a clear and melodic hook, giving the listener something to hold on to. Musical accessibility is always kept in focus, but nothing is sacrificed in terms of unique songwriting.

Overall, “Five Deadly Venoms” showcases some of the best music that progressive metal has to offer. Every note is performed with all the elegance and precision of a Shaolin warrior. It’s a great album for fans and newcomers alike.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

T.H.E.M. - Shaolin Blow

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Spice Girls - Too Much

Caught this on a retro video show. Can't resist adding it here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

We are going to kill Van Damme

This reminds me of Sense8.

'Van Damme' wins SABC's 'Song of the Year'
    MUSIC NEWS / 4 January 2017, 6:13pm
    ANA Reporter

MROZA FAKUDE

Johannesburg – KwaZulu-Natal Maskandi artist, Mroza Fakude, on Wednesday walked away with a R150 000 cash prize and a brand new Kia Picanto after his hit song "Van Damme" was voted as SABC's Song of the year for 2016.

In the figures of "SABC Summer Song of the Year 2016" released by the SABC and which were audited by the firm Sizwe Ntsaluba Gobodo, the breakdown of votes for artists nominated for the campaign showed that Mroza won a tight race against his rivals by a mere five percent. Fakude's hit song "Sobulala uVan Damme", literally meaning "We are going to kill Van Damme", but figuratively meaning one can overcome any obstacles with determination, garnered 176 452 votes or 20 percent of the total eligible votes cast across a total of eight SABC radio stations.

This was while his nearest rival, King Monada's "Ska Bhora Moreki" received 132,616 votes or 15 percent, and the favourite Babes Wodumo's "Wololo" could only garner 125 863 votes, or 14.3 percent, both featuring across 15 radio stations.

SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said the public broadcaster was very pleased with how the competition, now in its second year, rolled out.

"We want to encourage the public to vote for their favourite song or musician when the competition returns toward the end of this year, as it is only through their votes that an artist wins," Kganyago said.

"As a public service broadcaster we look forward to the competition growing in leaps and bounds in the years to come."

There would be an official handover of the prize money and car to Mroza on January 26 at Emperors Palace.

Other artists whose song also featured in the top 10 of the competition would also be awarded a monetary prize of R30 000.

Two lucky listeners also won a car each for voting for their favourite song of the year and for producing their paid up TV Licence number when voting for the SABC Summer Song of the Year 2016.
    Van Damme is popular in SA again

09 January 2017, 11:33
    Jean-Claude Van Damme is a name compared to the likes of Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal and Jet Li. Different people prefer different superheroes. It is however more believable when superheroes are portrayed in a more realistic manner. This time Jean-Claude Van Damme has been popular in song rather than film!
    It is no secret that Chuck Norris has been portrayed as invincible. This is made even more evident by the millions of Check Norris jokes, my favorite being: “When Chuck Norris was born he drove his mom home from the hospital”. Jet Li’s impossible jumps and slow motion ducks and dives also potrays him as untouchable at times. Steven Seagal’s effortless defense and offense made people sick. The fact that he never got beat made things even worse for his character. The funniest and more realistic characters were Jean Claude Van Damme and Jackie Chan. It comes as no surprise that the most popular song in South Africa for 2016 on Ukhozi FM was Mroza’s ‘Sobulal uVan Damme’ (We are going to kill Van Damme). Many listeners translated the song as meaning they would consume alcohol and not get drunk.
    I (as most) was particularly confused about this song at first, but it grew on me as it did on the rest of the nation. It is an easy to sing along Maskandi track and came at the right time to showcase rural talent. There have been many interesting memes about the song on Social Media. I am sure that Jean-Claude Van Damme would be proud if he saw many of these. I wonder if he knows just how popular he has been over the course of South Africa’s festive season?
    The song not only brought people from different walks of life together, but it also proved that rural music (so to state) is still well loved and appreciated. It gave hope to others that may have a different idea as to what music in our time should sound. The fact that it was the biggest on the Ukhozi FM charts shocked most as this spot has always to an upbeat Kwaito/House song. The same people with shock all agree that it is an awesome sing along and one to go into the history books.
    Van Damme live on in South Africa!
    Michael Mondli Hlophe
    Michaelhlope75@gmail.com
    BTW, I split Laidback Luke into this own indie thread off the Kung-Fu Music thread - see Laidback Luke - Kung Fu EDM DJ.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips