Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung-Fu Music

KungFu Girls String Band

KungFu String Girls Band
    Submitted by Linda Park, Community Web Producer
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012, 8:00am

The KungFu Girls String Band creates a unique vigorous Eastern style of music. Formed in 2006, as a youth ensemble, this force is suddenly rising in the music world, and is now striving for a worldwide stage. A featured opening act at the 2008 Bejing Olympic Games, this ensemble is making their way to the historic Bob Hope Theatre in Stockton, CA.

The music of the KungFu String Girls Band is now re-defining the typical instrumental performance. If you do not witness, it would be hard to imagine their passion on the stage. The KungFu String Girls Band has been followed by several Chinese and international mediums with great interest. After giving a successful performance in Vienna Golden Palace In January 2006, the KungFu String Girls Band have accepted many invitations in Singapore, Indonesia, and Hong Kong. Chinese news mediums have called them “the coolest strength-group beauty band in the instrumental performance history in China”.

These talented performers have all had professional training since childhood. Furthermore, most of them come from the top music academy in China – The Chinese Central Conservatory of Music. With several years of professional experiences, the KungFu String Girls Band has its own distinguished annotation and comprehension about music. They have integrated modern popular music elements into classical music.

These girls show their creativity and confidence on the stage without any limitation. Their appealing performance originates from their dramatic dance and their passionate performances of beautiful melodies when you attend the live show of the KungFu String Girls Band.

Saturday September 22, 2012 at the Bob Hope Theatre
    Doors open at 6pm
    Show begins at 7pm
    Tickets NOW on sale
    $27.50 - $90.50
    www.ticketmaster.com
    "strength-group beauty band" That's a great term. I'm going to poach it.

hmmm, Stockton isn't too far from me.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Shaolin Fez

There's a vimeo vid if you follow the link. Cool Asian jazz with a meowing violin.
    Shaolin Fez
    Posted: 1 Oct 2012

Describing the music of Shaolin Fez, a nascent 13-piece Hong Kong-based musical troupe, is no easy task. You’d likely make comparisons to jazz in your attempt, acid or otherwise. World music, afro-beats and Latin rhythms too. And probably some experimental classical references on top. But such is the broad range of influences that this rather innovative group is drawing from, it may not sufficiently describe the world of sounds that seeps into the Shaolin Fez sound.

The brainchild of Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra bassist Sam Ferrer, and fronted by the swooning vocals of songstress Jennifer Palor, Shaolin Fez was started with a view to bringing a more diverse sound to the city. Impressively, the group draws from a wide pool of Hong Kong musical talent. You’ll find a handful of the HKPO’s finest in there, as well as LA guitarist and producer Andy Abad, who has just been nominated for a 2012 Grammy.

Descriptions are difficult. Perhaps check out their vids and, for a much better feel, their gig at the Fringe Club.

Shaolin Fez play the Fringe Club on Mon Oct 22. Tickets: 2521 7251; hkfringeclub.com. For more info, see shaolinfez.com.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

I worked a Muse show in 2010. They were a-muse-ing. If this tour makes it to the states, I'll have to work it again. I do like their latest tune Madness.
    October 4, 2012 14:16
    Muse: 'Our UK tour will feature aliens, pyramids and kung-fu'

Muse's forthcoming UK tour will feature dancing aliens, an LED pyramid and kung-fu.

Drummer Dom Howard revealed the Devon trio's ambitious stage plans, saying fans will be able to see "dancing aliens" and "me doing some kung-fu at some point onstage".

He told BBC Newsbeat: "We made this huge upside down pyramid, which is made out of LED screens so we can put visuals on it. Basically this screen moves and can morph into different shapes. It will come down and completely consume me on my drum kit."

Meanwhile, singer Matt Bellamy has told The Telegraph that he thinks arena-touring electronic artists such as Skrillex, signal out the "value of human beings performing".

"People will pay money to see someone with a laptop who's done all the experimentation at home and pretty much just hits the space bar," he said. "There is a part of us that is definitely clinging to the organic, human side of music, to honour our friendship and the fact that we want to play together in a room."

He added:

We're not afraid to bring new elements into the equation but we're not quite prepared to go full robot. I think we're kind of cyborgy!

Muse's new album '2nd Law' is on course to topple Mumford & Sons in the UK Album Chart. The record includes new singles 'Madness' and 'Survival' as well as dubstep-influenced track 'The 2nd Law: Unsustainable'. The 13-track album is the follow-up to 2009's 'The Resistance' and was recorded in London.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Black Belt KARATE

I guess KARATE is always capitalized for them.

Exclusive Premiere: Black Belt KARATE "Kaleidoscope" Video
    Mon, 26 Nov 2012 08:48:57

Exclusive Premiere: Black Belt KARATE "Kaleidoscope" Video - Watch it now and get to know this hot, new L.A. rock band

ARTISTdirect.com has teamed up with Black Belt KARATE to premiere this video for "Kaleidoscope." The band boasts members who've played with everyone from David Bowie to Foreigner and more. Black Belt KARATE features singer Ryan Hanifl and under-the-fingernails guitarist/producer Jason Achilles Mezilis (Chris Wyse of The Cult), who have joined forces with the crack-shot rhythm section of drummer Ryan Brown (Foreigner, David Bowie) and bassist Harry Anthony Ostrem (Dizzy Reed of Guns N' Roses) to conjure Southern California desert-rock with a New York City-influenced punk attitude. It doesn't get much better than that.

The video for "Kaleidoscope" was directed by Tyler Jackson (Korn, Papa Roach, Nine Inch Nails) and tells a no-holds-barred, unapologetic tale of a relationship gone wrong. The story goes back and forth between metaphorical Day of the Dead festivities and literally burying the past.

Black Belt KARATE guitarist and producer Jason Achilles Mezilis said, "Tyler's got a great combination of old-school experience married with ultra-modern style and focus. Plus, he gets the band's quirky sense of humor and understands how to bring out our best on the screen. 'Kaleidoscope' is the second video we shot with him...and counting!"

The band does not have a specific release date for their debut album, but rather, they have embraced the endless possibilities of the digital age by recording and releasing it song-by-song and shooting a video for each track.

Black Belt KARATE Upcoming L.A. Shows:
    11/27 Silverlake Lounge
    12/12 Boardner's
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

STELLARSCOPE - STILL STANDING
    This indie psych song is about continuing to fight (both physically as well as mentally)
    Kung Fu included in the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1I4jOC26i4
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

Kung Fu Crimewave

Official site

Following up on that MUSE post above, they just came through the Bay Area on Monday, but I decided to go to Kung Fu practice instead. One of my friends who went said this "At one point they lowered to form a pyramid around the drummer as he was portrayed "Kill Bill" style fighting off bowler-hatted silohuetes while keeping rhythm to "Uprising"." He also said it was a really good show, and he's sees a lot of music and is seldom so flattering.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Los Kung Fu Monkeys

Not sure that I've heard Mexican Ska-Punk. It sounds intriguing.
    Los Kung Fu Monkeys: The Last Warriors of Mexican Ska-Punk?
    The band plays on despite being the last of their kind in Tijuana
    By REYAN ALI Thursday, Feb 21 2013

Bernardo Leos' childhood in Tijuana, Mexico, was one without cable television. The future vocalist of the Tijuana-based Los Kung Fu Monkeys would catch San Diego channels whose signals were strong enough to reach across the border. Channel 69 (today a Fox affiliate called KSWB-TV) had a habit of broadcasting B-movies, and thanks to its programming, Leos experienced a revelation at age 10.

Jureños de ska
    Location Info
    The Slidebar Rock-N-Roll Kitchen
    122 E. Commonwealth Ave.
    Fullerton, CA 92832
    Category: Bars/Clubs
    Region: Fullerton
    Details
    Los Kung Fu Monkeys perform with Mustard Plug and Defunked at the Slidebar, 122 E. Commonwealth Ave., Fullerton, (714) 871-7469; www.slidebarfullerton.com. Wed., 8 p.m. 21+. Free.

"Suddenly, one day, I put on the TV, and Rock & Roll High School was on," remembers the 32-year-old, referencing the 1979 cult classic. "I started watching the movie, and I saw the Ramones, and I'm like, '****, yeah!'" The New York City punk group's scrappy tunes and leather jackets left an impression on Leos. His first record purchase was one of that band's albums.

Splicing punk angst with Mexican culture and SoCal-inspired brass is the hallmark of cult favorite Kung Fu Monkeys, making their honorable distinction as the only ska-punk band in Tijuana all the more important decades after the salad days of the genre.

In the early '90s, popular groups such as Nirvana were in their heyday, which was also critical in hooking Leos before the formation of his band. This burgeoning interest in alternative and underground music led him to a NOFX record; he scoured the album's "Thanks" section in search of more new-to-him bands.

"I wasn't the popular kid in school. I wasn't a preppy kid. I wasn't the kid listening to pop songs," Leos says. "I think this is going to sound very cliché, but I was the outcast among a lot of people, so I started hanging out with people who liked the same kind of stuff I did."

When Leos was in high school, his buddies were Tarek and Hassan Limas, brothers he had actually met in Catholic school. A mutual interest in skateboarding between the friends eventually turned into serious discussions of them playing music together. "We tried skating. We weren't very good at it, so I guess we started a band," Leos says with a laugh.

Launching as Monkey Kung Fu in 1997 (another band's onstage shout-out to them as "Los Kung Fu Monkeys" left them with today's moniker), the band's first tune was a cover of the Suicide Machines' "No Face." Since then, they've maintained a serious allegiance to punk, as well as ska and hardcore. Los Kung Fu Monkeys specialize in upbeat, unabashedly enthusiastic tunes that are best for lighthearted mosh pits. The group's melodic approach would have found a perfect home on SideOneDummy or Fat Wreck Records circa 1998, but just because the tides of time have pushed their brand of ska punk out of cultural vogue (even those labels rarely sign acts with their sound nowadays) doesn't mean they've stopped making it.

After establishing their cred through shows with punk bands of similar leanings and dates on the Vans Warped Tour, Los Kung Fu Monkeys have continued to tour steadily, although their recorded output has slowed. (Their last album was self-titled and released in 2006.) Though Leos is a big enthusiast of groups within metal, new wave and indie rock—namely Testament, Depeche Mode and Foster the People—he takes great pride in his seven-piece's loyalty to their original sound. "We're kind of like the only ska-punk band in [Tijuana] now and possibly one of the only five in Mexico altogether," he says.

"We didn't get in it for the trend. We got in it because we wanted to play this kind of music. [We've] always considered ourselves more of a punk band. Ska came into the mix because we were listening to bands play ska," Leos says. "I'm a punk rocker. I'm going to be be 40, and I'm going to still be a punk rocker. I'm going to enjoy listening to Frank Sinatra, but I'm going to still be a punk rocker. I don't see myself playing anything else very far away from punk rock. Maybe I'll start a hardcore band as a side project, but with Kung Fu Monkeys, we're never going to leave our line of music."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

From Chief Keef

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chris Brown - Fine China

Unfortunately you have to get through 4 mins of Brown being a Michael Jackson wannabe just to see a silly breakdancing fight scene. More unfortunately it's a reinforcement of Tong stereotypes. This probably isn't worth your attention, but it's a slow news morning...

Chris Brown - Fine China
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

$100 Infinite Kung Fu Vixens

That's the name of the tune; the act is Sinden & Vato Gonzales. It's EDM. Follow the link for a taste. Just can't resist a track title like that.
    Sinden & Vato Gonzales – $100 Infinite Kung Fu Vixens (Go Freek Remix)
    Posted by wow on May 2, 2013

Sinden & Vato Gonzales - $100 Infinite Kung Fu Vixens (Go Freek Remix)

Australian based electro duo Go Freek have remixed Sinden and Vato Gonzalez’s song ‘$100 Infinite Kung Fu Vixens’.

The remix that is set to be released on Ajax’s legacy label Sweat It Out has already received some early support from Boys Noize! The clarity within the noises created in this interpretation makes for a brain tingling experience. This song gives the same sensation to your ears as to when you have a fizzy drink in your mouth and it’s really bubbly. A good energetic bangor!

If you’re ever in Sydney, you can catch these dudes most weeks on Saturdays at Cakes @ World Bar
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

silly rap

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Just Blaze & Baauer feat. JAY Z - "Higher"

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kung Fu Piano???

Not really martial but enjoyable music with a cello and a piano...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCaH-qqTWpk
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Laidback Luke

I follow EDM a little but I've not heard of this DJ yet. I hope he makes it out west someday.

Fact: Laidback Luke Is (Literally) a World Champion Kung-Fu Fighter
    By S. Pajot Tue., Oct. 15 2013 at 11:00 AM

Laidback Luke isn't just some international EDM superstar. He's also a kung-fu master.

But like all truly dangerous martial artists (and genuinely famous DJ-producers), he prefers to undersell his neck-snapping and ass-kicking skills.

"I'm not really a master yet," Luke insists, modestly. "But I am practicing at a high level, yes."

Despite this show of humility and grace, the Dutch DJ does readily acknowledge his superiority among Planet Earth's 35- to 40-year-old kung-fu fighters.

"It's true," he admits, "that I actually won five medals, four gold and one silver, at the championships of kung-fu in Hong Kong. And this is like the Olympics of kung-fu. There's like 10,000 competitors. So it was a dream come true."

But how does one become an expert at both beat-matching and Tiger Claw-ing?

Well, Luke explains, you learn to fight, beginning at the age of 8. "I definitely come from the Karate Kid generation."

You become obsessed with dance music as a teen. "The first track that inspired me was Technotronic's 'Pump Up the Jam'!"

And you practice and teach these sacred disciplines. "I basically train for kung-fu about one and a half hours per day, and I'm also a trainer. Oh, and I've also got a new Pioneer DJ tutorial on YouTube right now."

Obviously, though, it isn't the medals or the money or the glory that's the goal. It's balance and well-being and self-empowerment.

"The kung-fu and the DJing really adds up for me," Luke explains. "It helps me feel energized and it helps me deal with stress.

"Basically, when I come out of a kung-fu session," and presumably a DJ sesh, "I feel like I can take on the world!"

Laidback Luke's Musically Driven Bus Tour. With D.O.D. Friday, October 18, at Story, 136 Collins Ave., Miami Beach. The show starts at 11 p.m. and tickets cost $35 to $45 plus fees via wantickets.com. Ages 21 and up. Call 305-538-2424 or visit storymiami.com.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Live from Shaolin

The 90s are 'vintage'.

Jae Millz Drops New Freestyle "Live From Shaolin"
    Rose Lilah | Jan 22, 2014 at 09:58 AM

Lamar Odom Raps About Using Drugs & Cheating On Khloe In Bizarre FreestyleLamar Odom Raps About Using Drugs & Cheating On Khloe In Bizarre Freestyle
    Ria Christina - The Lead Girl Of Schoolboy Q's Ria Christina - The Lead Girl Of Schoolboy Q's "Man Of The Year" (Interview & Gallery)
    HNHH Premieres a new freestyle joint from Jae Millz, "Live From Shaolin."

Jae Millz is planning to take us back to the '90s for a vintage mixtape 1990+ filled with freestyles over classic instrumentals. 1990+ is going to drop on Monday, January 27th, but for now Jae gives HNHH the very first look from the tape, "Live From Shaolin" freestyle which features a variety of beats. How's the raspy rapper sound on '90s ish? Look out for the new project next Monday.

Quotable Lyrics

"Millz flow So So Def you can't escape it / I Colorado beats like Kobe, yeah I rape it / Now who wanna be my dinner? / I kill niggas like that house in Virginia / And I ain't even take off my coat yet / Haters still ain't take my **** out they throat yet"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips