Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung-Fu Music

Laidback Luke's Kung Fu Takeover

Laidback Luke Talks Kung Fu Takeover Class: "You Can Even Come in Furry Boots!"
    By S. Pajot Tue., Mar. 18 2014 at 9:00 AM

Meet your new sifu.

His name is Laidback Luke. And though he may be most famous as a EDM megastar, this friendly Dutch dude also happens to be a kick-ass kung fu fighter.

At last year's "Olympics of kung fu," as Luke describes the world championships in Hong Kong, he snapped up four gold medals and a silver. "There's like 10,000 competitors," he told Crossfade a few months after his wins. "So it was a dream come true."

And now he's about to realize yet another dream -- teaching ravers to kick, punch, and fist-pump like true martial-arts masters.

As the host of Laidback Luke's Kung Fu Takeover, "a very special lesson led by the gold medalist," the DJ, producer, and world champ will instruct 200 possibly hungover fans ("everybody is welcome!") in qigong, tai chi, punching and kicking, and real kung fu.

"It'll be kind of like DJing, where you must respond to the crowd," Luke suggests. "My own sifu says, 'If you teach a class, you have to cater to your students.' So in this case, I will have to be aware of everyone's level of expertise and how drunk they are," he laughs.

Among his pupils, there will be novices, veterans, and all sorts of other folks. "You can even come in furry boots!" Luke exclaims. "That would actually be nice. Because when we do some kicking training, you won't be able to hurt anybody.

"To me, it's not about how you look," he sagely intones. "It's about how you train."

So throw on some shorts, a spirit hoodie, or whatever's comfortable. Here are the four lessons to be learned at Laidback Luke's Kung Fu Takeover.

Qigong. Need to get your chi under control after a crazy night of raving? Our sifu suggests the ancient Chinese practice of qigong.

"This is one of my little secrets," Luke confesses. "Whenever I am in the middle of a heavy tour and I don't feel the urge to train, because I am just lazy or too tired, it only takes some qigong to get me going.

"I will go into my breathing exercises. And soon, I've fooled myself, and I get the energy to start the workout. So these techniques are almost magic for de-stressing and activating the body.

"Most people could really use some qigong. Because when we hit our mid 20s, and we start working all the time and chasing success, there is a lot of strain. But these breathing exercises help us take control of our being, so we can just stop a moment and enjoy the moment. Or we can find the strength to do some kung fu. Or we can manage to go party for the sixth night in a row!"

Tai chi. Now perhaps you're wondering: Tai chi? Isn't that stuff for old people in public parks? Well, the answer, according to our sifu Laidback Luke, is an emphatic nope.

"Often," he says, "people think martial arts should be really fast. And that's true. But only in the end.

"So, to start, we need to learn the essential movements while going very slowly. We will practice balancing and holding positions and focusing our minds on the direction that we're sending our limbs. That way, when we speed things up, we will be doing everything correctly.

"Tai chi is like slow-motion kung fu," Luke explains. "And it teaches us to gain full control over our bodies."
    Punching and kicking. So listen up, raver -- while we're on the topic of learning to be in command your fists and feet and such -- Luke would like to point out that it's not nice to knock out innocent bystanders, whether you're at the club or a kung-fu class.

"It is a very common mistake for beginners, when they punch or kick, that they don't actually look where they are punching or kicking," he laughs. "And that can be dangerous!

"Similarly, when new kung fu students are trying to defend punches or kicks, they sometimes aren't looking at the opponent. They are looking at the ground or they are looking at the sky.

"In kung fu, we say: 'Train the mind first.' And I say, the eyes too. Because where your eyes go, that's also where your fists and feet will go."

Real kung fu. The final lesson of Laidback Luke's Kung Fu Takeover will naturally be the most important and exciting -- a crash course in the basics of this ancient discipline.

"To end, we will dive into some real kung fu," Luke says. "We will practice some dance-y Shaolin movements and cool low stances and animal techniques, because I have noticed that after certain classes, people will be like, 'Oh, this is it? This is like a karate class or something!'

"But no, styles like karate and tae kwon do are derived from China where it all started with Shaolin monks, but they miss out on the majority of techniques that are taught in the typical kung fu class."

As our sifu insists: "Kung fu is the mother of martial arts." And now, raver, you can be counted among her many children.

Laidback Luke's Kung Fu Takeover. Sponsored by Fontainebleau Miami Beach, Hong Ying, Dancing Astronaut, and Miami New Times. Friday, March 28. Fontainebleau Miami Beach, 4441 Collins Ave., Miami Beach. Class begins at 10 a.m. and ends at noon. Tickets for participants cost $10 plus fees via wantickets.com. Admission is free for spectators. Ages 18 and up. Call 305-538-2000 or visit fontainebleau.com.

There's some vids too, but I didn't watch them...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Laidback Luke coming to SF Bay Area

Shoot, I already got a gig for Memorial Day weekend or I would have tried to connect.

Insomniac back to basics presents Audio on the Bay

Tickets Now On Sale

The Bay Area is going #backtothebasics with a new 3-day show: Audio on the Bay! Come celebrate with us Memorial Day Weekend at The Craneway Pavilion, located right on the waterfront. Audio on the Bay is dedicated to uniting all styles of music, bringing you a truly diverse musical experience! Tickets & line-up out Thursday, March 13th at NOON! #onestageonelove #AUDIOontheBAY

Friday, May 23rd
    Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike
    R3hab
    DVBBS
    Mercer
    Wolfpack
    special guest: Benny Benassi

Saturday, May 24th
    Eric Prydz
    Audien
    Loudpvck
    Alexx Adam
    + more tba
    special guest: Zeds Dead

Sunday, May 25th
    Laidback Luke
    Dyro
    Clockwork
    Henry Fong
    Bare
    Shellboy

The Craneway Pavilion
    1414 Harbour Way S, Richmond, CA
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wu-Force

Not that Wu
    Not my sound really, but maybe it'll appeal to our Appalachian members here.

This Chinese-American trio describes their music as 'Kung fu Appalachian indie rock folk'
    PRI's The World
    Reporter Alex Gallafent
    May 02, 2014 · 1:00 PM EDT

Credit: Luke Mines
    From left to right: Abigail Washburn, Kai Welch and Wu Fei

The United States and China are both global powers. Sometimes, the back-and-forth between the two takes place at the highest diplomatic levels. And sometimes, it happens informally, when musicians get together to see what happens.

Wu Force is a Chinese-American collaboration between three singer-instrumentalists. The group performed at Global Fest in New York earlier this year. They describe the fruits of their work together as "Kung fu Appalachian indie rock folk music," with some performance art thrown in between China and the US.

The three members are Kai Welch on guitar and trumpet, Abigail Washburn on banjo and various other instruments, and Wu Fei, who plays the guzheng (a Chinese zither.)

Wu Fei says all of the band members have experience in both the US and China.

"Kai has been traveling a lot since he was really young, and Abby spent lots of years in China and so she speaks Mandarin and knows a lot about Chinese folk music and culture … And I lived in the States for over 10 years," says Fei.

Wu Force began when Fei moved back to Beijing. The trio started playing together in her apartment.

"You know, when I first got to China, I thought the whole place was hilarious, in the best possible way — like the way people are yelling at each other in the streets … or the way old people are hawking gargantuan loogies on the sidewalk," Fei says.

"I was experiencing some reverse cultural shock. I thought I was so Chinese until I moved back to China — I just couldn't fit in, I felt so confused," Fei says. "And, of course, every creativity is about what you are experiencing at the moment."

The members of Wu Force may have experienced jolts of cultural confusion. But they're harnessing those feelings and making the most of the opportunity.

For now, the band's experimenting. But the trio says the first Wu Force album is on the way.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cool find! Enjoyed it
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Zion I - Shadowboxing

I caught Zion I on Saturday at Edge of Eden, a new music festival I was working at UCSC. I've heard Zion I before at other festivals. They're local (Oaktown) and have been on the edge of my radar for a while, but they really won me over at the show last weekend. Very energetic and really got the crowd moving, which was exactly what was needed as the wind came up and it was getting chilly. Upon reviewing some of their vids yesterday, I came across this little gem.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Love it, good find!
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Tai Chi by Rivergazer

Follow the link for the track on soundcloud.

Rivergazer – “Tai Chi” (Stereogum Premiere)
    Jul 15th '14 by Miles Bowe @ 12:18pm

Rivergazer, a project from Kevin Farrant of porches., are set to release their new album, Random Nostalgia, and today they share the new single “Tai Chi.” As the title suggests, the song has a relaxing vibe, especially in the chorus, where Farrant sings, “So if you wanna do some tai chi baby, tai chi with me, tai chi with me, tai chi with me” like a mantra. But there’s a creeping dread behind that sense of ease, a yearning that brings to mind the summer-jam crisis of Real Estate’s Atlas. As his voice rises to sing, “I’m doing the best I can,” “Tai Chi” becomes an empathetic song about those who are doing just that, and fearing it might not good enough. Listen below.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ok...nice tune...but...wtf?

Kung Fu Dykes

This is the first I've heard of Kung Fu Dykes and it is only mentioned in passing. I've seen GWAR, up close and backstage even. I've been GWARed.

By David Renshaw , September 19, 2014 11:51
    Gwar replace late frontman Oderus Urungus with new singer Vulvatron

Vulvatron, aka Kim Dylla, was formerly a member of Kung Fu Dykes

Photo: Twitter/Vulvatron

Gwar have confirmed that Kim Dylla, aka Vulvatron, will replace the late Oderus Urungus as lead singer of the band.

Urungus, better known as Dave Brockie died of a heroin overdose in March of this year (2014). In August, he was given a traditional viking send-off involving his stage costume being set on fire.

New singer Vulvatron will join vocalist Blöthar in fronting the band. She joins Gwar from her regualr band, Kung Fu Dykes. She previously performed with the band at the group's annual Gwar-BQ event in 2013.

Known for their outrageous costumes and prosthetics, Gwar released their 13th album in 2013 and mark their 30th anniversary this year. According to Gwar's "mythology", Oderus Urungus was 43 billion years old, and was assembled on a planet called Scumdogia. He wielded a sword called Unt Lick. The latest chapter of the band's mythology dictates that Vulvatron and Blöthar will lead a quest together for the departed Oderus Urungus.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

T.H.E.M. - Shaolin Blow

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

T-ara FAIL!

Not Jackie Chan style. Bruce Lee style. duh.

T-ara Reveals Their Concept For Debut In China 'Jackie Chan Style Sweats?'
    By Esther Chung | November 19, 2014 01:28 AM EST

Group T-ara's concept for their Korea-China album Little Apple was revealed. (Photo : t-ara)

On November 18, one Chinese media stated, "T-ara will be singing the song 'Little Apple' by famous Chinese singers Chopstick Brothers in Korean version."
    They continued, "They filmed the music video with Chopstick Brothers, preparing for an official debut in China. The album will be released on November 24."
    In the picture revealed, T-ara members in yellow sweats that are 'Jackie Chan style' and have their hair tied to the sides, making funny poses.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wushu Goddess Janice Hung

Sure enough, she is mentioned on our The-SEA-Games thread in the 2nd news item.

'Wushu Goddess' launches music album
    Tha Good Life - by John Paul "JP" Tanchanco
    Posted at 12/01/2014 2:50 AM | Updated as of 12/01/2014 2:51 AM

Meet the fierce and sexy wushu champ Janice Hung and get to know more about her new music album and acting career.

I had coffee with my friend Janice to catch up on her wushu career and chat about her new album and music video.

JP Tanchanco, Janice Hung

The Wushu-champ, Musician and Actress

Janice Hung is a popular wushu artist and champion martial artist. She was first introduced to showbiz thru a shampoo commercial featuring her movements from the world-famous sport of wushu. To date, Hung has won a total of 15 medals, including bronze and silver medals in the Asian and Southeast Asian (SEA) games.

"I consider bagging my first international medal during the 23rd SEA Games as my most memorable competition experience coz after winning, it opened a big door of opportunities for me like commercials, TV series, cover of magazines, billboards, etc," said Hung.

According to Hung, Wushu is a Chinese martial art which harmoniously blends the mind, body and spirit. It's good for all ages. It is also the martial art that has been popularized in numerous films.

"It is considered a Jet Li-style of martial arts. It has been used in films like Fearless, Romeo Must Die, Once Upon a Time in China...For the non-Jet Li films, we have Crouching Tiger, Matrix, Charlie's Angel, Kung Fu Panda, Kung Fu Hustle and many more," she said.

Hung's entry into showbiz carved a niche to her career. Today, she sees herself as an ambassador of the martial art.

"Writers, bloggers and friends are the ones who started calling me as Wushu Goddess coz normally, their first impression towards me is like I'm a commercial model or a beauty queen, and when they learn that I am an athlete, most of them are shocked coz I don't look like one," she added.

Hung's showbiz experiences grew when she landed an acting role in the TV series Rounin. This was followed by Kung Fu Kids and Kung Tayo’y Magkakalayo. She has also hosted several events such as Ms. Earth 2009.

The expression of the artist in Janice also grew as she pursued her childhood passion in music and integrated it with her wushu demonstrations.

In July 2010, she belted it out on the stage of “Fontana Rocks” held at Fontana Hot Springs and Leisure Park in Clark Field, Pampanga. She performed together with Philippine rock idol Ely Buendia, Christian Bautista, and La Diva.

Music Album

Hung took her music to higher ground when she started recording singles for her first album.

Today, she is excited that several of her music video covers and album singles are out and available online. The music video for her first single features a surprise action sequence that you can expect from an 80s martial arts action flick.

"Well, first single is an original song...it’s a Filipino Chinese song, I wanna put my identity with this single, that’s why even in the music video, I have incorporated some things I really love doing which is singing and wushu," she said

"Cruel" is Janice Hung's first single that features her martial arts prowess

"I've loved singing and song writing since I was a little girl but my music needs to take a back seat since I need to focus in wushu. Now that I have the chance and opportunity to do a single, then why not?" Hung said.

Hung has also done several covers of Chinese songs that have been uploaded online. My favorite is Ai Wo De Ren He Wo Ai De Ren.

Janice Hung Show

Hung is also hosting and shooting her internet-based show called Janice Hung TV that will also be aired on Net25.

"The Janice Hung show is a lifestyle show. It’s thought provoking and has the right amount of sizzle that I will provide. You can treat yourself to insights and bits of information as I take you to different places, interviews and feature people from all walks of life," she said.

Part of the show will be a Wushu 101 segment that promotes wushu as a health regimen.

"Wushu 101, a cardio-fat-burning workout for everyone that you can do anywhere, anytime, spending only 12 minutes of your time. Wushu 101 is only a 12-minute workout complete with 3-minute warm-up, stretching, wushu routine and cool down. Wushu 101 will make your body the sexiest body you own," Hung said.

JP and Janice hanging out at the UnderArmour store

Sharing the Passion of a Life Champ

Hung's passion in the arts and sports has also been expressed thru a foundation she set up which aims to support and help future champions.

"My foundation is for champions not only in sports but also in life. I found the true meaning of being an achiever in 2010 when I decided to establish the Janice Hung Arts and Sports Foundation or simply JHAS Foundation, which aims to support and hone future champions," she said.

"The JHAS Foundation was established to be a family and support system coz I know how hard it is to fulfill a dream without a support, without a guide and without someone who believes in you. And now that I have this opportunity to help, to inspire and lift their spirit, then why not," she added.

Check out Janice Hung's songs and shows. Visit Janice Hung Music https://www.facebook.com/janicehungmusic.

John Paul C.Tanchanco is a travel, food, party, film and music aficionado. He is also an economist, businessman, MYX/Awit award-winning media producer and Kala guitarist.

"ThaGoodLife" is a special feature for ABS-CBNnews.com about pop culture, travel, music, entertainment, business, food, clubbing, shopping and events.

For questions, features and comments, e-mail him at jptanchanco@yahoo.com or tanchancotrimediaproductions@yahoo.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Here's her other vid

only 1 vid per post....

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Young Black Bruce Lee

Chief Keef Drops New Song "Young Black Bruce Lee" Feat. Production From Young Chop [LISTEN]

Young Chop & Chief Keef (Photo : Via HotNewHipHop)
    Right after dropping his new track "Kill Him," Chief Keef came back with more new music. Sosa brings fans his second Young Chop-produced track in 24 hours with "Young Black Bruce Lee." No word yet on where this track will appear, but the Chicago rapper has a number of projects in the works, so it could really end up on anything.
    "She say she choose me cause she like my jewelry / And I'm come through choppin' **** like Young Black / Bruce Lee / I'm smoking gooey, got cut like the movies / I'm smoking motherf**ker just for suing me," Sosa raps over heavy bass, machine gun sounds, and spacey synth.
    In addition to these two new Young Chop tracks, Sosa also released his proper full-length album Nobody last week, which was his second LP overall, following his 2012 debut, Finally Rich.
    His long-awaited Bang 3, which was originally slated for release back in March, is expected to drop on Christmas (Dec. 25) as well as his Mansion Musick mixtape. His upcoming mixtape Crashing Computers is set for release next week on Dec. 31 (New Year's Eve) while his Thot Breaker mixtape is scheduled for a Valentines Day release. (This guy apparently likes to give the gift of music on holidays).
    Check out "Young Black Bruce Lee" below (via HotNewHipHop), and let us know what you think in the comments section!
    Follow the link above to hear the track.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

POP ETC - Running In Circles

For a moment, I thought this was filmed in our studio here.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips