Thread: who's who in the forum

OdderMensch Guest

who's who in the forum

Sweet! a Wing Chun forum is a great idea. Why dont we all start it off by stating who we are where we are & maybe what we do?

I'll start
    My name is Sean & I live in Plano, Tx. I study WC in Fort Worth @ Authentc Kung Fu under Sifu Steve Cottrel. We come from the Yip Man / Kwo Sang / Allen Lamb branch of the tree. I have been learning WC for a bit over a year now, but I have almost no natural talent [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

There are a lot of great practicioners out there so this is a great oppertunity to start out right.

Another Sean, tho I'm from Orlando, FL. My background is Southern Praying Mantis, which shares some characteristics with Wing Chun.

I am very interested in learning Wing Chun, and am doing some reading and research right now. Have not located an instructor, which may be hard due to my work schedule. I work in a hospital on a rotating shift which doesn't work well with normal school schedules.

I look forward to learning from all you guys.

Sean Madigan Guest
    Hi,

Yet another Sean!

My name is BIG Sean Madigan. I study/teach Jeet Kune Do in New York City. In addition to JKD, I am also a practitioner of Wing Chun as well.

My website is: www.bigjkd.com . Take a look and let me know what you think.

BIG Sean Madigan

Raatra Guest
    i am 21 years old and just moved to dallas, texas from west virginia. i began martial arts in aikido under sensei Ed Serzion for about a year and a half. i then moved on to ninjitsu under sensei Art East, and yes that is actually his name. He also taught JKD which in my opinion was just non traditional wing chun. he was a good friend of professor Gary Dill who came and taught occasionally. i wasnt very impressed with Prof. Dill despite his credentials. i also learned some kung fu on the side while working with a student of sifu Gali. it was an animal based system which i hold in high regard.

now i am focusing on straight wing chun/ aikido blend which i find works well.

Yo

I'm 37 years young and I live in the North West of England. I train / teach JKD Concepts. I also "dabble" in Wing Chun.

YODA

------------------
    "No - try not.
    Do - or do not.
    There is no try."

Mojo Guest

I see why they call you Sean !

[This message has been edited by Mojo (edited 08-14-2000).]

Sihing73 Guest
    Hello,

I am 36 years old been doing Wing Chun 'officially" since 1982. Prior to that I did Judo and got into Wing Chun when I was 16 and a guy used it to tear me apart, thank goodness it was friendly. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I have trained in Augustine Fongs lineage, Leung Tings and currently train in William Cheungs versions. In between I have had the privilege of studying with other Wing Chun people here and there. Most notable is Sifu Chung Kwok Chow of New York City.

Peace,

Dave

WT Guest
    Hi,

I live in Sweden and have been doing
    Leung Ting Wing Tsun and Latosa Escrima
    since 1992.
    My Sifu is Emin Boztepe.
    Before that I did a lot of Japanese styles,
    Judo,Aikido,Jiu Jitsu and Iaido.
    I also have an interest in historical western
    martial arts.
    WT

Kung Lek Guest
    Hi-

WT- just curious, doe Emin live in sweden now?

Also, I do not practice "Wing Chun" as my main style but I have always been taught and have come to understand that Wing Chun is a distillation of the boxing methods of the Shaolin Temple.
    I have speculated that it is related to "splashing hands" that was taught to the temple gate guards.
    It could be learned fairly quickly and applications were rapidly understood because of the efficiency and simplicity of the principles/theories in application.

Have any of you wingers ever heard of the splashing hands connection?

peace

------------------
    Kung Lek

WT Guest
    Kung Lek,

No,he doesn't live in Sweden,but he is the head of the Scandinavian Escrima and WingTsun
    organisation.
    SEWTO includes Sweden,Norway and Finland.
    Denmark has it's own organisation,DEWTO.

Leung Ting has a brand new book,Roots of Wing
    Tsun.
    I have not managed to get my hands on a copy yet,but he doesn't believe in the Shaolin connection.

I seem to recall that there was an article
    about splashing hands in Inside Kung Fu a few years back by James Mcneil.
    WT

[This message has been edited by WT (edited 08-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by WT (edited 08-11-2000).]

vingtsunstudent Guest
    hi folks
    hope u don't mind a new voice in your conversations. my name is anthony & live in australia.i have been training in ving tsun 4 no where near long enough but i do have a little bit of knowledge on the subject so i hope u don't mind me joining in.
    i am from the wong shun leung branch of the family & my sifu's name is barry lee.if you'd like to know a little more about my teacher and my lineage check out
    http://www.vingtsun.net/sifuba~1.html

anyway hope to have many laughs with u'all
    real soon.