Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are the principals of your style?

and for those of you who miss my soap opera posts (because I'm alone right now), what are the principals of chaseing, and catching women?
    ever seen the roadrunner and Wyle E. Cyote?

Ive found, its kind like that.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon

and for those of you who miss my soap opera posts (because I'm alone right now), what are the principals of chaseing, and catching women?
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=23864&page=2

Really the only intelligent discussoin starts on page 3 but the post in all caps at the bottom of page 2 is just too good to skip.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuHung
    I sincerely hope that you're joking...

If the teacher doesn't come out and tell you how things work and why, then I would question thier actual ability and knowledge.
    So if a teacher can kick your ass 3 ways to sunday but doesnt' come out and tell you how and why you question their ability? Doesn't make sense to me. What does their talk-fu have to do with their actualy ability to throw down?

I do acknowledge that it is of benefit to question and study what is taught, but being taught in riddles or vague key phrases won't help pass on the essence of any system to someone lving in the 21st century.
    So you prefer to be spoon fed. That's cool.

Tell us more about Talk-Fu, Mr Fish... *wades through irony*
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

You got something to say?

Come on out and say it. There are subtle shades or irony here. I like irony. I was thinking of the ironic contrast between what was most likely meant to be conveyed by his statement and what it actually meant as I posted my response. I think it IS very ironic that someone who I am sure meant to be showing what a "show me" kind of guy he was/is tried to show that attitude by equating verbal explanations with ability.

See? Irony.

You seem to see it in a different place from me though. Just to be clear, and to avoid any misunderstanding before I waste time arguing with someone who may actually already agree with me:

Are you suggesting that I am speaking betond my ability? Or that I can't demonstrate what I talk about?

If so, then what are you basing this supposition on?

If I have misread your post then what exactly ARE you saying?

If by "speaking beyond your ability" means "spreading falsehood", then the answer would be, YES. I am not necessarily referring to the contents of this thread, but overall. Not that vehemently taking a stand is a bad thing, but sometimes you take a righteous stance yet have no idea what you are talking about...

- William G. McAdoo

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish
    So if a teacher can kick your ass 3 ways to sunday but doesnt' come out and tell you how and why you question their ability? Doesn't make sense to me. What does their talk-fu have to do with their actualy ability to throw down?

So you prefer to be spoon fed. That's cool.
    No. I believe you added the ass kicking part to what I said in my previous post. If a teacher can kick my ass 3 ways to Sunday, I will be inclined to take them and whatever they say in regard to martial skill very seriously.

However, if a teacher only talks in riddles and vague key phrases, and there is no or little physical transmission, I will find it hard to take them seriously. If that means spoon fed, well that's your opinion. I prefer to get answers and clear instruction, so I can get in there and do it. Maybe that goes agains the grain in CMA, but my experience has been that the best teachers are no BS and willing to put thier hands on to teach rather than coaching through codes and anachronisms. But hey...take your CMA your way, I'll have mine my way

I was not really saying a postion that how the teacher should or should not teach in a certain way.

Every teacher is different. Some would ask students to practice first and learn how and why later. Some would explain how and why in the first instance of lessons before practicing. Some would be somewhere in the middle.

My last post was actually a Chinglish poem. They are Chinese poems with rythmes but translated into English.

I said that principles are in words. We have to practice and with the help of the teacher. Then we start to understand. If there is no practice, words will remain words.

When we look for the secrets, we start to realize Oh, it is there.

It is just a poem about principles.

Last edited by SPJ; 05-03-2005 at 08:38 PM.

I hate the whole "Spoon fed" thing anyway. I good teacher transmits his knowledge in a clear, and comprehendable fashion. When this is done, his students prosper, and do very well. Then all the other teachers try to make up for thier lack of teaching ability by shouting "Spoon feeding!!" at the other guy for haveing good teaching skills.

And yes, in Kung Fu there is alot of self realasation, however, if the student is not taught in a comprehendable way and is allways in a state of perpetual confusion, they won't understand the principals well enough to have those self realasations anyway.

When a student asks questions, and the teacher refuses to answer because he does not want to ruin his students by "Spoon feeding" them, it's becasue he either does not have the answers, or does not know how to teach the answers he does have.

In reality, there is no "Spoon feeding". It's a term made up to guilt the students into NOT expecting to be properly taught...yet still feel good about it. It also shifts the blame for poor understanding from the bad teacher, to his students.

The term "Spoon feeding", is nothing more than a smoke and mirrors mind game.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I know what you meant. I even re-emphasised it after Lost track got his panties in a bunch. That's why it was an ironic post.

Perhaps I should just stick with blunt direct statements from now on to avoid any potential for double meanings, teasing or other fun.

Go back and look at the post I made fun of. You didn't say, "ONLY talks in riddles and vague key phrases...." You simply said that anyone who uses that stuff is not to be trusted.

...but my experience has been that the best teachers are no BS and willing to put thier hands on to teach rather than coaching through codes and anachronisms.
    Emphasis added. You just change "rather than" to "in addition to" and we are almost in agreement. Here's the thing though, the best teachers in MY experience, and this is NOT limited to MA, the best teachers are teh ones that give you 2 angles and a side and let you figure out the other 2 sides on your own. That's the only way the knowledge becomes your own. Otherwise all you can do is parrot your teacher. . . or whatever is the current popular view on BBS systems.

Now if you don't actually believe that everything should be spelled out clearly and that a good teacher should sometimes give you clues and drills and exercises and not give you a straight answer untill you've almost figured it out on your own...then that's cool too and we actually agree and you must see how that post of yours was misleading.

Demanding that every detail be spelled out for you in simple terms is either spoon feeding or dumbing down material.

Another point here,

Your original post was in response to SPJ's comment:

The principles are in words.

They are colloquial or in poems.

You may recite them at heart.

However, what do they mean?

Via practice and the guide of a teacher, you may start to understand.

The secrets are there, and yet we have to look for them.
    He's talking about 'kou jue', and integral part of traditional CMA training for many styles. They are not fotune cookie mysticism. They are the reference point for the defining characteristics of a style. The "secret" meanings are open secrets. Basically there's nothing mysterious about any of them if they are given to you at the right time. They only "in code" if you are an outsider to the style. That means that by the time one has been transmitted to you, it's meaning should be immediately clear. But if you haven't done the training then they sound like mysterious b s .

Pearls before swine but here's an example...and what the heck, it's back on topic:

A Baji principle -

"Short contained inside of long, hard within soft,
    long hiding inside of short, and "no can defend!"

In Chinese it's a ryhmed verse.

Royal Dragon and SPJ,

You both posted while I was writing.

RD,

Agreed. I think I made the context of the statement clear in my last post though. Gotta run.

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish
    I know what you meant. I even re-emphasised it after Lost track got his panties in a bunch. That's why it was an ironic post.

Perhaps I should just stick with blunt direct statements from now on to avoid any potential for double meanings, teasing or other fun.
    Well, what can I say? I read your post running on 4 hours of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie1
    You ever been in a real fight?

I didn't realize taiji or wing chun gave you sixth sense.
    I used to face danger all the time having been a bull fighter. considering they weigh many times more than a person and with sharp horns facing a person is ha a piece of cake. You lean to be calm in the face of danger, very zen like. Yes I've had to defend myself against people before

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    you should've been here before blooming lotus was banned. you could've fallen in love with her and her love of dim mak...

Who's blooming lotus and why did she get banned?
    Last edited by Vasquez; 05-04-2005 at 05:04 AM.

Thumbs up

BL was much interested in Zen and MA.

Mr Fish... Create a separate thread just for the topic of your Talk-Fu? Little narcissism maybe?

You've just basically called me a liar

There is a HUGE difference between duplicity and ignorance. However, when one preaches incorrect information as if it were the truth... its excruciating to say the least.

- William G. McAdoo