Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce Lee vs. Wong Jack Man fight

Blog Entries
    "You must not teach our secrets to the Gwai Lo!"

seems like this very recounting is why lots of Kung-Fu people know what Gwai Lo means in the first place?

The fact that WJM is associated with any of it makes it seem like he's associated w/their beliefs, as opposed to just being an attack dog?

I dunno. I never thought of the racial connection myself, so maybe others don't either. But it looks like the association is there when pointed to it.

If in all these years, no one has ever confronted WJM as someone who denied training to "Gwai Lo", then it is a non-issue.

But if he had to deal with people saying to him, "How could you deny training to someone based on the color of their skin?!" then I think he is right to rebut the incident recount as a mischaracterization of his practices and ethics.

Someone's playing the race card, just not sure who!
    sure, people today won't understand why gung fu being taught to the gwai lo was taboo in those days. but, if you lived in a time when people wanted to kill you because you were chinese you wouldn't teach gung fu to outsiders either. it was the mindset of Lau Bun and the others who came after him were against it. it wasn't racial.......it was us vs them. don't give them our only weapons to protect ourselves.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Bay Area kung fu instructors, unhappy that Bruce was teaching non-Chinese students, sent Wong J. Man from Hong Kong to Oakland with an ultimatum: close the school or throw down.
    Another lie. Wong Jack Man was already in the U.S. at the time he was supposedly "sent". He practiced at the G and U Association in San Francisco. It was there that one elderly witness stated, “I witnessed Wong Sifu break a two inch wooden board against the grain with one light slap of his open palm. This demonstration illustrated how incredible his instrinsic energy really is.” So Wong Sifu was not "sent". He was at the Sun Sing Theatre with David Chin, Brandon Lai, and others when Bruce put out an open challenge. If there were the names of any elders on the challenge letter it was because Bruce had challenged T.Y. Wong and others in the Bay Area because he was a rash, impulsive, egotist who thought he could make a name for himself by beating up other martial artists. That's the main reason he originally ****ed everyone off. I believe he was only 18 when he was behaving this way but it still shows that he was rash and he had some major issues.
    Originally posted by yutyeesam
    Someone's playing the race card, just not sure who!
    It's the people at the "Bruce Lee Foundation" and everyone else who ever sold this hill of manure to the public. Bruce Lee eventually learned from his mistakes and he never pushed the idea that he was challenged because he was teaching guay lo to the public. It wasn’t until Linda’s, “Bruce Lee: The Man Only I Knew,” that this whole idea was publicly promoted and Bruce Lee was made out to be a hero so she could sell more books. She also made money off this story by selling it to Inside Kung Fu and they made a killing off just having Bruce Lee on the cover.
    Originally posted by hskwarrior
    sure, people today won't understand why gung fu being taught to the gwai lo was taboo in those days. but, if you lived in a time when people wanted to kill you because you were chinese you wouldn't teach gung fu to outsiders either. it was the mindset of Lau Bun and the others who came after him were against it. it wasn't racial.......it was us vs them. don't give them our only weapons to protect ourselves.
    It’s true, this was the mindset of many in the TCMA community. And who could blame them? For decades there had always been extreme racial prejudice against Asian people within the white community. Even today there seems to be this resurgence of anti–Asian sentiments among conservative white people because China owns most of the U.S. debt. I find it very ironic that it was in large part because of Bruce Lee that Chinese martial arts were spread among the public in the Americas and Europe. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t make it as an A-list star in the States. He had to go back to China and make his movies there and finally, just as he was about to blow up in America, his life was cut short. It’s really a great tragedy because he probably could have had an even more positive effect on the cross-cultural relations between China and the U.S. than Nixon and Mao.
    Last edited by Siu Lum Fighter; 08-28-2012 at 11:43 AM.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    All of my roof top fights end with me kissing cat woman and telling robin to gtfo of my personal space...
    Hey ME TOO!!

I think she is two-timing you!!!!!

Blog Entries

bruce died by death touch

Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Hey ME TOO!!

I think she is two-timing you!!!!!
    Well I never....that hussy...I'm gonnnnaaa...ahh who am I kidding it's Cat Woman..does this mean Robin is two timing me as my sidekick too?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Well I never....that hussy...I'm gonnnnaaa...ahh who am I kidding it's Cat Woman..does this mean Robin is two timing me as my sidekick too?
    You are letting him kick you?

You are letting him kick you?
    Only in the side!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Only in the side!
    Ahhhh! You have been watching my Ribs of Steel Videos!

But I haven't been reading your posts, so please disregard anything that may lead you to believe I have read anything posted by you!

Ahhhh! You have been watching my Ribs of Steel Videos!

But I haven't been reading your posts, so please disregard anything that may lead you to believe I have read anything posted by you!
    Disregard accomplished. And Yes I have been watching your videos. The only part I dont understand...what exactly is the wet noodle used for? You kind of just have it hanging around the whole time, but never explain it's use! I mean....not that you'll be reading this anyway..

Will we ever have a thread to rival the Shaolin-Doh thread? This one has potential depending on a few factors.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    Will we ever have a thread to rival the Shaolin-Doh thread? This one has potential depending on a few factors.....
    Maybe if we change the name to Bruce Lee is God/Satan. there will be enough controversial subject matter in the title alone to keep it alive through out the ages.

Throw in BL being gay and we may have a winner. Make it so!

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    Throw in BL being gay and we may have a winner. Make it so!

...what exactly is the wet noodle used for? You kind of just have it hanging around the whole time, but never explain it's use! I mean....not that you'll be reading this anyway..
    The wet noodle is a metaphor! When you understand it, it will be time for you to go!

Did somebody post something? I haven't read a thing!

BTW: Bruce Lee is cool and wears yellow brace........wait....wrong thread......and looks good in black tights!!

I don't want to go, therefore I will never contemplate the noodle in it's true glory. Bruce Lee has only one testic...oh wait wrong thread...he has some great bracelets!