Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce Lee vs. Wong Jack Man fight

Sharky Guest
    Of course it's me, honey

My anus is superior™

soy Guest
    my teacher (daniel carr) was a student of wong jack man. My schools website has a lot of information on it. I'm not really sure if it's biased or not, I havent read it in a long time. But it gives you a good idea of what happened.

www.lakungfu.com

curtis Guest

HA GUYS why dont you ask someone who was there?

Jesse Glover (Bruce Lee's first student)was there at the fight.or buy his book. (bruce lee between wing chun and Jeet Kune Do.) the book is the verry best book on bruce lee Ive ever read.

dont take third hand info. even sifu Dan got his info ten years after the fact.Jesse was there! GET HIS STORY, I belive him,he has no reasion to lie,unlike others.
    sincerely
    C.A.G.

PHILBERT Guest
    Let this thread DIE!!!

Ok, I don't want anyone who was friends with just Lee or friends with just Wong Jack. Why? Well, Lee's friends will side with Lee's story. And Wong Jack's men will side with his story. You want a person who witnessed the fight, but was there just to watch and not saying "Go Bruce!" or "Go Wong Jack Man!"

PHILBERT

curtis Guest

MY point is HE WAS THERE!

Jessie WAS THERE!
    my sugestion for you is, dont call a man a lier,until you can prove it.
    C.A.G.

PlasticSquirrel Guest

i believe this to be interesting:

http://www.kungfu.net/brucelee.html

i quote a few lines from the article:

"In response to Lee’s interview, Wong wrote a detailed description of the fight which concluded with an open invitation to Lee to meet him for a public bout if Lee was not satisfied with Wong’s account. Wong’s version of the fight, along with the challenge, was run as the top story on the front page of San Francisco’s Chinese language Chinese Pacific Weekly. But Bruce Lee, despite his reputation for responding with fists of fury to the slightest provocation, remained silent."

"Though William Chen’s recollections of the fight are more vague than the other two accounts, they are more in alignment with Wong’s than Lee’s. On the question of duration, for example, Chen, like Wong, remembers the fight continuing for "20 or 25 minutes." Also, he cannot recall either man being knocked down. "Certainly," he says, "Wong was not brought to the floor and pounded into a ‘state of demoralization.’""

(you would've thought that someone would remember something like that)

"So by Linda Lee’s account, her husband had suddenly found himself in a position no less heroic than of having to defend, possibly to the death, the right to teach Caucasians the ancient Chinese fighting secrets. It is a notion that Wong finds ridiculous."

"Far from attempting to keep kung fu secret and exclusive, Wong observes that his was the first school in San Francisco’s Chinatown to operate with open doors. That the other kung fu schools then in existence conducted classes behind locked doors was due more to the instructor’s fears of being challenged, say Wong, than to a refusal to teach Caucasians. Once Caucasians became interested in kung fu, it would be Wong who would train some of the best of them, including Ralston and several other leading West Coast instructors. And all of these students of Wong who currently teaches at San Francisco’s Fort Mason Center would be taught for a monthly fee amounting to a fraction of the hourly rate (in some cases $500) charged by the man who allegedly fought for the right to teach them."

"Ming Lum, who was then a San Francisco martial arts promoter, says he did not attend the fight because he was a friend of both Lee and Wong, and feared that a battle between them would end in serious injury, maybe even death. "Who," he asks, "would have stopped them?" But Lum did see Wong the very next day at the Jackson Cafe, where the young grand master earned his living as a waiter (he had, in fact, worked a full shift at the busy Chinatown restaurant the previous day before fighting Lee). And Lum says the only evidence he saw of the fight was a scratch above one eye, a scratch Wong says was inflicted when Lee went for his eyes as he extended his arm for the opening handshake."

""Some people say Bruce Lee beat up Jack Man bad," note Lum. "But if he had, the man would not have been to work the next day." By Lum’s assessment, the fact that neither man suffered serious injury in a no-holds-barred battle indicates that both were "very, very good." Both men were no doubt, very, very, good. But Wong, after the fight, felt compelled to assert, boldly and publicly, that he was the better of the two. He did so, he says, only because Lee violated their agreement to not discuss the fight."

i think we all need to re-assess linda lee's account of the fight. i did, and it seemed totally unrealistic and almost cartoonish. no chinese would ever make someone close down their school because of a match. it's all for reputation. the guys with the best reputation have the most profitable schools.

LEGEND Guest
    Anyone ever heard of a fight lasting 20 to 25 mins??? Were they fighting ROUNDS??? Laughable.

A

PHILBERT Guest
    Ok, one last question. Anyone know where I can find a photo of him? New and old? Because I don't know how to portray him in my mind (was he really buff? Kind of chunky? Scrawny? Hairy?) I just wonder now what he looks like.

PHILBERT

PlasticSquirrel Guest

says in the article wong was 135 lbs, 5'10, 24 years old. must've been thin, agile, and muscular to be able to do northern shaolin. chinese people have a tendency to be pretty clean-cut, and not many of them hairy, so that's how i view him.

bruce lee was also 24, but shorter and heavier.

a picture would be nice. i don't like the way they put him in that movie, dragon: the bruce lee story. they made it look like the people in chinatown were shadowy bigots. then, of course, he is also viewed as being older, shorter, stocky. overall, evil-looking. from what i've heard about wong, he was the opposite. thinner than bruce, taller, and an honest, hard worker.

bruce, on the other hand, as is evident in his writing, was a bit on the arrogant and proud side. he was involved in gangs in hong kong, and only practiced his system for two or three years. instead of realizing that his opponent had bested him through pure skill, he took it out on his system, even though wing chun is an incredibly effective style. what can you expect when you've only learned in a school for two or three years? wong had probably trained for many, many years, as is customary in china.

-------------------
    jkd is an attitude and a concept of refinement. it has been used by every past master of kungfu. if someone thought that only some techniques were effective, he would modify, add to, or delete parts of his system. by the 1900's, though, it became customary to keep the systems intact, because they weren't needed for immediate use like they used to be. my point: kung fu isn't as staunch and traditional as many people would make it out to be. what does this paragraph have to do with this thread? nothing, but i thought i would add it in, since i don't visit the jkd forum that often. ;)
    -------------------

Nutt'nhunny Guest
    yeah and the two of them together would get clobbered by tank abbot.

Andreas Guest

Misconceptions

Lee was making a tactical mistake. He was chasing his opponent which is not common to Wing Chun men. Wong Jack Man, though never being a true threat to Lee, ran all the way back, taking away much of the effect of Lee's punches.

Lee didn't claim clear or easy victory. He won by putting down his opponent, therefore not as easy or the way he might have wanted. He would have like to win with a few punches. After that he had the feeling that he had not won the fight which he told to a friend.

Jesse Glover wasn't present at the fight. He was called by Lee after that and he told him about this story. Another thing which Lee later told to Jesse was that he visited Wong Jack Man in a chinese restaurant, because he was talking b.s. about their fight. WJM worked there as a waiter, and seeing Lee scared him so much that he overfloured his cup of tea. Lee had made his point, left the restaurant, and there was nothing to hear from WJM for a long time.

Well so much years later, I think WJM is sure that Bruce Lee and the witness James Yimm Lee won't coming back from their graves, and the story continues.

You have to know, the chinese Kung Fu community of San Francisco was terrified by Bruce- Bruce Lee wasn't all the time a nice guy, especially not when he had fakes in front of him who claimed to be better than they really were. That's what his Oakland student Howard Williams experienced while being a member of the Oakland school from 1965 to 1970. One time Lee told to his other Oakland student Leo Fong: "Why do you deal with all this lousy Gung Fu guys here? You already have the ultimate art: boxing. Add a few kicks and you're fine".

I guess you all know the chinese concept of saving face. From this point we can understand what WJM and maybe other classical Gung Fu guys are talking now about Lee.

[This message was edited by Andreas on 10-16-01 at 11:46 PM.]

curtis Guest

I am not sure where you heard that from

I heared from Jessie him self,( that He was Bruce's second and he was there! and did see the hole thing!)

Who ever said Jessie wasnt there will have to talk to Jessie,he not only said he was there,(personaly to me.) he also wrote about it in his book.
    BE CAREFULL MY FRIND. JESSIE IS STILL ALIVE!and just might take offence to being called a Lier.

as far as the rest of your message,preaty much gos with what ive heared.
    C.A.G.

Andreas Guest

Re:

I'm honored to can call Jesse Glover a friend of mine. We write to each other from time to time, and he adviced me to translate his books in german.

I recommand to read Jesse's books more carefully. He was the second and referee in the fight of Bruce Lee vs. the Karateka in Seattle's YMCA. Bruce told him about the Wong Jack Man incident after it happened. You can read this also in his books. Witness of the fight were James Yimm Lee and Linda Lee.

Andreas

curtis Guest

Hello and I am sorry, I stand corrected

I was going over my notes, and...I was wrong,I confused my infomation on TWO different fights.
    please forgive me, Ive made a grave mistake.
    C.A.G.

Andreas Guest
    No problem!!

Andreas