Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce Lee vs. Wong Jack Man fight

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Actually BL was very influenced by SPM in his tactics, especially on his interception of the opponent's intent, which is a hallmark of SPM.
    I read that Dan Inosanto said that BL also never taught certain methods of lop-sao to his students as well.
    He apparently held certain stuff back for himself.
    A few of his students commented that he was an ideas kind of guy and NOT a fighter. According to them he never sparred with his students. So his secret lop(wtf?) techniques were wasted because he never actually tested them.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    A few of his students commented that he was an ideas kind of guy and NOT a fighter. According to them he never sparred with his students. So his secret lop(wtf?) techniques were wasted because he never actually tested them.
    that...is purely conjecture on your part.
    as far as him being a fighter, students of his also said that he was a fighter.
    The ones who said he wasn't, were guys like Joe Lewis, who learned from BL, then never gave him credit so he can continue to do his seminars and make monies.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    that...is purely conjecture on your part.
    as far as him being a fighter, students of his also said that he was a fighter.
    The ones who said he wasn't, were guys like Joe Lewis, who learned from BL, then never gave him credit so he can continue to do his seminars and make monies.
    I read it in a book of interviews from some of his students. They said he did not spar.

Blog Entries
    Bruce Lee was also one of the Chinese short armed wc midgets I mentioned in nother thread. He was so small. What. Hance did he have against big clf bullies with Buddha palms?
    he had zero chance. he talked smack, he got smacked up. he moved out of the bay because of the other side of Choy Lee Fut

See, gung fu was secret before bruce exposed it. to the big slow americans, he was indeed fast as hell. but there were people in this secretive world that knew bruce wasn't all that the west made him out to be. some still hold a grudge against him for exposing it like he did.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 08-21-2012 at 09:33 AM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    he had zero chance. he talked smack, he got smacked up. he moved out of the bay because of the other side of Choy Lee Fut

See, gung fu was secret before bruce exposed it. to the big slow americans, he was indeed fast as hell. but there were people in this secretive world that knew bruce wasn't all that the west made him out to be. some still hold a grudge against him for exposing it like he did.
    I am pretty sure he took steroids. What exactly did he expose? You act like Kung foo became bad after getting exposed. With Americans paying money the training should have increased with tons and tons of fighters. Instead you guys decided to cash in as teach forms making them imitate bugs and apes instea of fighting.

Bruce helped make the big Kung foo craze of the 70's happen. That is where all you hippies came from so you should thank him. This whole generation of Kung foo people came from the "Kung fu is so deadly and effective but we do not spar" era. Then can the ninja era of the 80's. The big difference is that the ninjas vanished and went to train in Japan. No one in his right mind would come out and say he studied ninjutsu and that he can fight or worse teach you to fight. You guys, however, never stopped believing in your own ridiculous myths about how deadly Kung foo makes you.
    Last edited by RWilson; 08-21-2012 at 09:56 AM.

I read it in a book of interviews from some of his students. They said he did not spar.
    Bruce Lee and Ted Wong sparring:

I have read many times, that while Bruce was living in LA, that Tuesdays and Thursdays classes took place in Chinatown. While a select few were invited over to Bruce's house wednesday night for sparring, and Saturday for more training. Not sure about the lop sao stuff, I've never heard that before.

In fact, I've read from about every student either through print or word of mouth that he would spar with them regularly and wipe the floor with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    Bruce Lee and Ted Wong sparring:

I have read many times, that while Bruce was living in LA, that Tuesdays and Thursdays classes took place in Chinatown. While a select few were invited over to Bruce's house wednesday night for sparring, and Saturday for more training. Not sure about the lop sao stuff, I've never heard that before.

In fact, I've read from about every student either through print or word of mouth that he would spar with them regularly and wipe the floor with them.
    You notice Bruce is not wearing a helmet, right? What do you think that means? It means that they were not sparring an just posing for a pic, Bruce was so good he did not need a helmet when sparring. Ted Wong would not be able o swing at him as hard because he has no head protection. If anything it was fake sparring.

You notice Bruce is not wearing a helmet, right? What do you think that means? It means that they were not sparring an just posing for a pic, Bruce was so good he did not need a helmet when sparring. Ted Wong would not be able o swing at him as hard because he has no head protection. If anything it was fake sparring.
    Hahaha, you're clearly an idiot.

not saying the guy did or did not spar. but not wearing a helmet doesnt mean ****. i dont wear head protection or anything but gloves or maybe shin guards when sparring noobs. cuz i'm not worried. and i can take a hit if one does get in. actually this is VERY common.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post

I don't think he exposed anything. Lee knew bits of this 'n' that but he didn't give away anyone's secrets. He was about showmanship.

I had never heard of Bruce Lee when I read that he had died. It made the front page of the newspaper and I thought,"Oh, yeah. The guy who played Kato." But I had already learned from two kung fu teachers from China. They never made me feel that I was learning something secret.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    not saying the guy did or did not spar. but not wearing a helmet doesnt mean ****. i dont wear head protection or anything but gloves or maybe shin guards when sparring noobs. cuz i'm not worried. and i can take a hit if one does get in. actually this is VERY common.
    Apparently Bruce couldn't take a hit.

James deMile told me that Lee had to learn kicking skills and keep his head back because he had a glass jaw. He was exceptionally vulnerable to knockouts. And it's easy to see from pictures what a long neck he had.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    Apparently Bruce couldn't take a hit.

James deMile told me that Lee had to learn kicking skills and keep his head back because he had a glass jaw. He was exceptionally vulnerable to knockouts. And it's easy to see from pictures what a long neck he had.
    so then this information must come from the fact that bruce lee must have sparred and been knocked out on multiple occasions for it to be common knowledge of his peers to know he had a glass jaw. i mean unless the guy went around going 'hey guys i have a glass jaw, i get knocked out easy' the other option is its information gained from witnessing and being involved in knocking the dude out.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

But what about all these accounts:

"Lee defeated three-time Hong Kong Inter-School amateur boxing champion Gary Elms by way of knockout in the third round in the 1958 Hong Kong Inter-School amateur Boxing Championships held between 12 Hong Kong schools. Lee used Wing Chun traps and high/low-level straight punches.[43]

The following year, Lee became a member of the "Tigers of Junction Street," and was involved in numerous gang-related street fights. "In one of his last encounters, while removing his jacket the fellow he was squaring off against sucker punched him and blackened his eye. Bruce flew into a rage and went after him, knocking him out, breaking his opponent's arm. The police were called as a result".[44] The incident took place on a Hong Kong rooftop at 10 pm on Wednesday, 29 April 1959.[45]

In 1962, Lee was challenged by a man who had been holding a grudge against Lee while the two were practicing at a YMCA in Seattle.[46] The man was described by Jesse Glover as a karate man who also had a blackbelt in judo, though Glover, who was a brown belt in judo at the time, claimed to be better than the man in judo.[46] After weeks[47] or months[48] of provocation by the man, Lee agreed to fight the man for three two-minute rounds, with the winner being the one who knocked the opponent down or out in two out of three rounds.[49] The match took place at YMCA's handball court, with Glover as the referee and Ed Hart as the time keeper.[49] Lee wore street clothes and used a Wing Chun stance while his opponent wore a gi and used a karate stance.[49] According to Glover, Lee used his right forearm to deflect an initial kick from the man and simultaneously landed a left punch to the face.[49] Lee deflected more punches using the forearm, controlling the center line and landed more punches to the man's face until he was against the wall.[49] The man attempted to grab Lee's arms, which Lee responded by a double fist punch to the face and chest, followed by a kick to the nose, which produced a nosebleed and a knockout, at which time Glover stopped the fight.[49] Taki Kamura said the fight lasted 10 seconds.[50] Ed Hart stated "the fight lasted exactly 11 seconds – I know because I was the time keeper – and Bruce had hit the guy something like 15 times and kicked him once. I thought he'd killed him".[47]

In Oakland, California in 1964 at Chinatown, Lee had a controversial private match with Wong Jack Man, a direct student of Ma Kin Fung known for his mastery of Xingyiquan, Northern Shaolin, and T'ai chi ch'uan. According to Lee, the Chinese community issued an ultimatum to him to stop teaching non-Chinese. When he refused to comply, he was challenged to a combat match with Wong. The arrangement was that if Lee lost, he would have to shut down his school; while if he won, then Lee would be free to teach Caucasians or anyone else.[44] Wong denied this, stating that he requested to fight Lee after Lee issued an open challenge during one of Lee's demonstrations at a Chinatown theatre, and that Wong himself did not discriminate against Caucasians or other non-Chinese.[51] Lee commented, "That paper had all the names of the sifu from Chinatown, but they don't scare me".[52]

Individuals known to have witnessed the match included Cadwell, James Lee (Bruce Lee's associate, no relation), and William Chen, a teacher of T'ai chi ch'uan. Wong and witness William Chen stated that the fight lasted an unusually long 20–25 minutes.[51] According to Bruce Lee, Linda Lee Cadwell, and James Yimm Lee, the fight lasted 3 minutes with a decisive victory for Lee. "The fight ensued, it was a no-holds-barred fight, it took three minutes. Bruce got this guy down to the ground and said 'do you give up?' and the man said he gave up" – Linda Lee Cadwell.[44]

Wong Jack Man published his own account of the battle in the Chinese Pacific Weekly, a Chinese-language newspaper in San Francisco, which contained another challenge to Lee for a public rematch.[51] Lee had no reciprocation to Wong's article, nor were there any further public announcements by either, but Lee had continued to teach Caucasians.

Lee's eventual celebrity put him in the path of a number of men who sought to make a name for themselves by causing a confrontation with Lee. A challenger had invaded Lee's private home in Hong Kong by trespassing into the backyard to incite Lee in combat. Lee finished the challenger violently with a kick, infuriated over the home invasion. Describing the incident, Herb Jackson states,

One time one fellow got over that wall, got into his yard and challenged him and he says 'how good are you?' And Bruce was poppin mad. He [Bruce] says 'he gets the idea, this guy, to come and invade my home, my own private home, invade it and challenge me.' He said he got so mad that he gave the hardest kick he ever gave anyone in his life.[53]
    Bob Wall, USPK karate champion and Lee's co-star in Enter the Dragon, recalled one encounter that transpired after a film extra kept taunting Lee. The extra yelled that Lee was "a movie star, not a martial artist," that he "wasn't much of a fighter". Lee answered his taunts by asking him to jump down from the wall he was sitting on. Wall described Lee's opponent as "a gang-banger type of guy from Hong Kong," a "****ed good martial artist," and observed that he was fast, strong, and bigger than Bruce.[54]

This kid was good. He was strong and fast, and he was really trying to punch Bruce's brains in. But Bruce just methodically took him apart.[55] Bruce kept moving so well, this kid couldn't touch him...then all of a sudden, Bruce got him and rammed his ass with the wall and swept him up, proceeding to drop him and plant his knee into his opponent's chest, locked his arm out straight, and nailed him in the face repeatedly". – Bob Wall[56]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Lee#Fight_history

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    But what about all these accounts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Lee#Fight_history
    Hence, my last comment.

This whole thread started to expose that Londa had lied about the wjm fight. If she lied about that then she could have lied about anything. His friends could be lying or embellishing. I said he never sparred with his students. A fight he might have had as a kid does not mean anything for his grown up training.

The picture does not prove he was sparring at that money. Where are the rest of the connecting pictures? He was an actor. Do you really think he would risk his pretty face and NOT wear a helmet? You are just mad that I am right, Lucas.