Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Ma Bu (Horse Stance) Training

Quote Originally Posted by delibandit
    Whatever....a thousand years of Chinese martial arts is trumped by lifting weights and transitioning through stances.? They got that gun powder thing right, but fighting? Well now that takes some good ole' fightin'

Got gun powder right? Who was doing the shooting and who was doing the iron shirt during the boxer rebellion, and who won?
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

^ True.

"If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by delibandit
    Whatever....a thousand years of Chinese martial arts is trumped by lifting weights and transitioning through stances....I guess they just missed that one. Who'd a thunk it? They got that gun powder thing right, but fighting? Well now that takes some good ole' fightin' American boys to figure out. A good ole' cowboy punch and some rasslin' will do it.
    Sounds like someone didn't read this thread.

It's old and traditional therefore it must be correct. Right? So when you get sick do you go to the doctor to get bled by leaches? Why not? Cuz science proved that other methods were better.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist
    Sounds like someone didn't read this thread.

It's old and traditional therefore it must be correct. Right? So when you get sick do you go to the doctor to get bled by leaches? Why not? Cuz science proved that other methods were better.

Was In Turkey last year, every market sells leaches....I assume for medical reasons. Some of them Turks have huge legs to, but only the women
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Funny you should pick that particular example IF, because a lot of hospitals are starting to use leaches again
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Whatever....a thousand years of Chinese martial arts is trumped by lifting weights and transitioning through stances....I guess they just missed that one. Who'd a thunk it? They got that gun powder thing right, but fighting? Well now that takes some good ole' fightin' American boys to figure out. A good ole' cowboy punch and some rasslin' will do it.
    I'm no historist, but I do know that at one point China was a very advanced civilization compared to the rest of the world, from a technological standpoint...however, then they cut themselves off from outside contact, for a long time until Forrest Gump went there to play ping pong...so by cutting themselves off they fell behind because they didn't get new ideas or inventions that the rest of the world was discovering...so it wouldn't be that surprising if some of the things they were doing during this period of isolation were less productive than those being used by the rest of the world...

Also if a society did have very advanced weapons, I wouldn't expect them to be as good at hand to hand combat as a society that relied more on hand to hand combat that such weapons...
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

Some of them Turks have huge legs to, but only the women
    Really would you say its more muscle or fat? Or both?
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

I watched a Randy Couture vid the other day about clinch work. Notice a lot of things. One example where he's in a tai type double collar tie (hopefully the correct description) instead of trying to back out and thus bending his body forward into knees he tucks his butt under and pushes his hips forward and "turtles" his neck.

This way he connects his body with his legs by making his spine straight. Then he walks into the guy making the tai boxing clinch behind his neck which causes the guy's arms to jam and Randy to escape the clinch and go to where he is comfortable.

This is the same posture (minus the turtling of the neck) that we train in horse stance - butt tucked under, pelvis pushed forward, connecting body to legs with straight spine, etc. I imagine it would translate quite well and help stop the "What the hell did I do to my neck?" feeling after a clinch workout session as well as helping you out a lot so you don't get menipulated all over the place.
    My intent is to kill you, my heart wants you dead, my mind thinks of you dead, when I strike its to kill you - Sifu.

You are only as strong as your horse - Sigung Leung Cheung.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5319129

Originally posted by star chaser
    "but ...but ..but ..
    china invented gunpowder but it wasn't really being used for firearms."

Wow I didn't know that thank you for the info...but I do know for a fact that they had Chu No Kus...guys with crossbows that could shoot many arrows at the same time! They are the unique unit for the Chinese in Age of Empires 2: The Age of Kings...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    Geez, the one example I pick...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowlynobody
    I watched a Randy Couture vid the other day about clinch work. Notice a lot of things. One example where he's in a tai type double collar tie (hopefully the correct description) instead of trying to back out and thus bending his body forward into knees he tucks his butt under and pushes his hips forward and "turtles" his neck.

This way he connects his body with his legs by making his spine straight. Then he walks into the guy making the tai boxing clinch behind his neck which causes the guy's arms to jam and Randy to escape the clinch and go to where he is comfortable.

This is the same posture (minus the turtling of the neck) that we train in horse stance - butt tucked under, pelvis pushed forward, connecting body to legs with straight spine, etc. I imagine it would translate quite well and help stop the "What the hell did I do to my neck?" feeling after a clinch workout session as well as helping you out a lot so you don't get menipulated all over the place.
    ducking out of a plam is the absolute WRONG thing to do, for the reason you stated - you run the risk of getting kneed in the head, which means lights out for you. There are numerous ways to get out of a clinch though, and ways to prevent getting manipulated. As long as he doesn't have control of your head, you are good. He can still do things, like eat up all of your space, but you are owned if he has your head under control. As for the sore neck feeling - I think it's just a neck strength and endurance issue. the more you neck wrestle, the less the soreness happens.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Akhilleus
    Originally posted by star chaser
    "but ...but ..but ..
    china invented gunpowder but it wasn't really being used for firearms."

Wow I didn't know that thank you for the info...but I do know for a fact that they had Chu No Kus...guys with crossbows that could shoot many arrows at the same time! They are the unique unit for the Chinese in Age of Empires 2: The Age of Kings...

Its Chu-Ko-Nu
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    Its Chu-Ko-Nu
    Does iron shirt work any better against that?

nope. but arrows are the reason japan created kozane. those little babies will help.

Those Manchurian Chu-Ko-Nu will rip you a new one.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!