Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone in the Tri-State Area like to meet?

wisdom mind Guest

still got my forks

iandijah@hushmail.com if it ever happens

Sihing73 Guest

It's up to you

Hi Wisdom Mind and everyone else,

This is scheduled to take place on December 2nd. The actual location is going to be worked out over the next couple of weeks but I have been offered a site to host the event.

Whether or not this actually happens will depend on you. I know I intend to be there. Hopefully many, if not all who are able, will join me.

Whether or not this is a success has nothing to do with me. It has everything to do with YOU. Are WE able to put aside the auspices of Lineage and Ego for one day to meet and fellowship without the taint of politics? It has been done before elsewhere. Why not here? We have a wealth of knowledge both on this board and within the NYC Tri_State Wing Chun community. Would'nt it be nice to take advantage of this knowledge? I think so, but then again what do I know?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I invite everyone to attend and bring along your family. Afterwards we can all go out to dinner. Perhaps, some of us will have our eyes opened to a new perspective. Or maybe we will be able to learn something which can be of help to us in our practice. At least we can make some new friends. Lord knows one can never have too many of those [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I ask that anyone who is interested email me and let me know so an accurate count can be gotten. It is only an estimate but at least we'll know if there is sufficient interest. Right now I think there is, but I don't know for sure.

One last thing. It is important to make this go as smoothly as possible. As one person who has emailed me pointed out sometimes the best intentions can go astray. I must again stress the importance of leaving egos and politics at home. I want everyone to attend. However, if you must bring your ego along I would rather you stay at home. There is too much potential for an enjoyable time to be had to let a few bad apples ruin the event. Also, this is not MY event it is Our event. Keep that in mind. It is really up to you. Each and every one of you has the potential to make this a success or a failure. The final decision is in your hands.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Peace,

Dave

mun hung Guest

Tristate meeting

Sounds good. You can add my name to the list also. Just post when and where.

Sihing73 Guest

WOrkout event or social gathering ?

Hello Everyone,

I have been conversing with several different people and tried to reply to everyone, I might have missed some, if so I appoligize.

Anyhow, here is some of the feedback I am getting:

Several people are interested in getting together but there is some concern about everyone meeting due to some past negative experieinces. Some people wish to meet but are preparing for the worse. Givent his environment and how things can get out of hand some have inquired if it might not be better to keep this as informal as possible.

Some suggestions have been:

1) Only meet a few at a time to limt the possibility of misunderstanding and not give things a chance to get out of hand.

2) Make the first gathering more of a social event with everyone meeting for a dinner and then if people want to break off and train a little they could do so. There would be no pressure to train or not to train. The goal of everyone meeting would still be met.

3) Hold the event as originally planned and have some people fromthe varius representative families assist in curbing troublemakers.

Well, let me know what everyone thinks. I want this to be a success and not escalate or degenerate into anything. If most of you would prefer more of an informal dinner type of gathering then let me know now so I can make those types of arrangments. Of course, dinner entails spending money for food but I am sure we coudl work something ut with a shared meal in one of the Chinese restaurants. If you want o meet to train then we have been offered the use of a school and can do so.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Dave

mun hung Guest

Let's make friends!

Hi, Dave I think you're right about making it as informal as possible. Perhaps lunch which any of us could arrange. Maybe it's too soon for Sifu's and demonstrations. My suggestion would be to make friends first and get to know each other.

marcus_pasram Guest

Whats the status?

Hey Everyone,

Are we still going to meet?

- Marcus

Sihing73 Guest

I still want to

HI Marcus and everyone else,

I am sorry not to have bee very active lately. I would still like to see this come off. If the location is still available then I would like to set up the specifics. Right now, I am typing with a broken finger so I am not sure just how good I will be but would still like to meet. Everyone give me a shout and let me know how many would be able to attend. Right now, it looks like at least 20.

Marcus, I will be contacting you directly over the weekend. Sorry but I have been very busy with work and such. Just got back from a week long class on certification for becoming a webmaster [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Now I just need the increase in pay that goes along with it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Peace,

Dave

Sihing73 Guest

Latest update

Sorry but I have been kept very busy between work and the family.
    In any event this is still possible but I want everyone to know that this
    will be very informal. There will not be any structured training program nor
    demonstrations. This will be a short informal get together for people to meet and more or
    less say hello. After wards we will be going out to dinner or a light snack. Right now
    it looks like we can have use of the school from 10:00am to 12;00 noon. I am firming up the details and will post them shortly.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes as I needed the reminder. Hopefully, if this works out and enough people express interest I woulfd like to do something more organized towards next summer. My goal is to bring various families together and give everyone an opportunity to see another perspective.

I will say there has been some conern expressed to me offlist regarding some past negative experiences. I hope that by keeping this as informal as possible and limiting some of the time that this can come off in a positive light. Hopefully, this can be used to build on for future meetings and gatherings in this area.

I look forward to meeting many of you from the WCML and hopefully will be able to use this event as a means of cementing and establishing friendships and we can all work towards making this art grow within our area.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Peace,

Dave

vingtsun-nyc Guest

Meeting

Greetings,

I must regret I will not be able to attend the Dec. 2 meeting. I was really looking forward to meeting everyone, and hope to do so the next time around. Due to business reasons, I will not be available for that weekend.

Dave, if you are in New York City at another time, perhaps we can meet at your convenience.

Marcus, hope all is well. I am still down for dim sum!!

Regards,
    Tom

Sihing73 Guest

Heres the address

Hello All,

I received confirmation of the schools availability. As of right now the time will be from 10:00am to 12:00 noon on this coming Saturday December 2nd. It will be a very informal meeting with no formal instruction or demos but a time to meet and establish friendships. If this is successful then a more formal organized event will be planned for the coming year. The person allowing us to utilize the school has also graciously offered to provide Dim Sum for those in attendance. So please email me and let me know how many will be able to attend. I look forward to meeting all of you. The address is:

The school address is:

101-60 99th Street Ozone Park Queens NY 11420
    Http://www.mapquest.com provides good directions ;-)

Peace,

Dave

Sihing73 Guest

Reminder

Hello All,

Just a reminder to everyone that this will be taking place this Saturday from 10am to noon at:
    101-60 99th Street Ozone Park Queens NY 11420

I hope to see many of you there.

Peace,

Dave

Sihing73 Guest
    Hello All,

Yesterday the first informal gathering of Wing Chun Practitioners on the East Coast was held in the New York City area. Unfortunately, this fell far short of hoped for expectations. I think that the fates conspired against us as only one person showed up for the event. Despite having several people express interest in attending Tom was the only one who made it.

I realize that things happen which could have prevented others from attending. I myself was unable to make it. I had one of the worst days of my life which started at 2:30 in the morning and is still ongoing. Still, I would like to publicly acknowledge and thank Marcus Pasram for going forward with the event and allowing the use of his school. I spoke to Marcus and we would like to try this again after the New Year. Hopefully more people will be able to attend. I know that I will plan to be in New York the night before to eliminate any possibility of a repeat on my part.

For those who intended to come and were unable to make it I hope we can do this sometime in the future. To Tom I apologize for not making it up myself. I feel as if I let you and the others down by not being able to follow through and I was really looking forward to meeting with many from this list. Suffice it say the reason I was unable to attend was a combination of many things, from a server outage at work to some transportation changes at the last minute. Still, I hope we can try this again. I know I will keep at it till I get it right.

Peace,

Dave