Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Journal of Asian Martial Arts

I am a subscriber.

if you sign on their website.

there is a subscription side bar with volume and issue number.

if you click on it

you may read the article page by page.

you click the arrow to move forward page by page.

e-reading is becoming more and more of the "norm".

---

everything digital is easy to archive or file away. no more papers to take up your study or garage space.

well said gene...

e-reading is appealing to major print companies that have the capital to market their online products... think if you asked a publisher 100 years ago "imagine everyone had a device that were all connected to each other and you could send your books to them and they read it on their device, ZERO overhead in that respect"... they would never believe... it sounds too good to be true... if you can sell something online that is viewed and used online, youre butter... it really does eliminate alot of details... but honestly, i dont like reading books on a tablet or my laptop... hate it... i read websites but even then it makes me sick after awhile... theres something about it that isnt healthy... i can feel it... i can read a real book all day and never feel sick... that lit background just kills me after awhile... i love the idea of being able to keep 2,000,000 books in my bag all at once but still, i would rather have my normal book, newspaper or magazine... as it stands i just have both... why not... anyways, switching to only online isnt the worst thing in the world if you can sell it...
    Last edited by Syn7; 03-02-2011 at 04:08 AM.

Wink

Sny7,

I completely agree with your last post.

Instead of a "print publishing death watch" there should be steps taken toward finding new way of creating paper that does not kill trees. There was a move toward newspapaers made from recycled plastic at one time. The public did not go for it. The search should continue.

The stuff I save to disk are always printed out before I read them.

The book will always have a place that electronic media can not supplant.

mickey

Anyone ever consider that psychological damage is done to a psyche that has been constructed with doctrinal and dogmatic fears established in childhood?

just throwing it out there.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

my father, uncles and many relatives--

they all served in Chinese military, police etc

there were never ending stories about wars and fighting crimes

--

the tales did not burn or etch in my mind

but they turned me to look for deep answers about why and so much how

--

general sun li ren, he fought Japanese in burma, some of my relatives also served in Chinese expeditionary force under him there.

general sun took no prisoners, if the japanese soldiers went to china before

--

Japanese high commanders in China were pardonned in exchange for their assitance in fighting chinese communists

--

civil wars between the nationalist and communist, sometimes real rivalry, a lot of time they were not due to same blood, some people

--

a lot things for me to think about.

JAMA is still printing issues. As many as needed for their usual monthly business.

But now they also have published a digital edition.

20th-Anniversary Edition

1. in terms of size of a printed book or journal

I personally prefer pocket size. I may bring it anywhere and read it when I have time.

desk size or table size meaning you need a desk or a table to put the book down and read it.

2. the quality of the paper also counts

I have some books from 1980's. they are still good.

but paper does age or undergoes oxidation

I have some books from 1990s, turned yellow already. they are printed on thinner papers.

I have read many trade journals in my professional career (theology & medicine). In my opinion JAMA is the most boring of them all.

I just read the latest issue of IKF today while standing in my local Borders. It wasn't even worth the few dollars it costs.

KFM is the only martial arts magazine I occasionally buy. Good format, decent articles, inexpensive.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

what mooyingmantis said;

a lot of the articles written in JAMA (I always double-take on this, as it's the same acronym as Journal of Amer Med Assn) are of a pseudo-intellectual sort that wouldn't pass muster in the majority of academic peer reviewed socio/political/historical journals that follow similar formats; there are occasionally articles of a clearly higher academic caliber, but many just read like IKF articles printed on thicker paper; but then again, most academic journals are geared towards their particular niche, not the general public; and you don't find most academic journals on the magazine shelf at Borders; to me, this is the reason JAMA doesn't cut it: it tries to ride the fence, and subsequently fails as a true academic publication, but is too egg-headed and $$$ for the typical IKF / BB magazine reader...

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    1. in terms of size of a printed book or journal

I personally prefer pocket size. I may bring it anywhere and read it when I have time.

desk size or table size meaning you need a desk or a table to put the book down and read it.

2. the quality of the paper also counts

I have some books from 1980's. they are still good.

but paper does age or undergoes oxidation

I have some books from 1990s, turned yellow already. they are printed on thinner papers.

The worst paper in books are pages made of newsprint paper, like most mid-sized paperback novels. Of course, the best being glossy; that will last and not likely turn yellow over time. Then the only concern is the glue in the binding.

I personally prefer an actual book to just reading online. Like Syn 7, I also don't feel too great if I read too much online. I can relax and get comfortable with a book, whereas it's not really possible with a computer. Plus, I'm not getting 'irradiated' reading a paper book. Each method has its pros and cons.

There are no peer-blind reviewed academic journals for the martial arts.

The New Journal of Chinese Martial Arts is bi-annual and often presents English translations of Chinese sources.

Its bi-annual:

Here is the free launch issue on-line:

http://www.martialstudies.com.hk/

The article on the Bajiquan and the Liu He Qiang by Ma Mingda is excellent

"Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Quote Originally Posted by RAF View Post
    There are no peer-blind reviewed academic journals for the martial arts.

The New Journal of Chinese Martial Arts is bi-annual and often presents English translations of Chinese sources.

Its bi-annual:

Here is the free launch issue on-line:

The article on the Bajiquan and the Liu He Qiang by Ma Mingda is excellent

second that

I like Ma's article about bringing back the competition of long weapon or chang bing qi.

such as shuo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The worst paper in books are pages made of newsprint paper, like most mid-sized paperback novels. Of course, the best being glossy; that will last and not likely turn yellow over time. Then the only concern is the glue in the binding.

I personally prefer an actual book to just reading online. Like Syn 7, I also don't feel too great if I read too much online. I can relax and get comfortable with a book, whereas it's not really possible with a computer. Plus, I'm not getting 'irradiated' reading a paper book. Each method has its pros and cons.
    yes the binding or back of a book would fail over time.

in old china, people actually used cotton threads to stitch the pages together.

we had to let books soak under the sun to kill molds etc by solar radiation

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Perhaps I shouldn't compare martial arts publishers to Nazis, but you get the idea. Today's newsstand is like a ninja Gurhka.
    Internet shenanigans! How're we gonna call you a nazi on page two when you called yourself a nazi in the first post?
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons