Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floyd Mayweather

Floyd Mayweather

I'm still a big boxing fan, its taken a bad rap over the years...for corruption and with the rise of MMA it's been somewhat marginalized as a martial art. I still have much respect for boxers, boxing, and I think it's made a solid comeback over the last few years with some amazing fights.

I caught the replay of the Mayweather/Cotto fight this weekend, Cotto was the first fighter to rough the champ up...some saying the possible fight of the year. I'm not so sure, I think Floyd was toying with him, letting him rough him up a bit to quite the critics and put on an entertaining fight. He is a master of his art. Probably because of his mouth, he doesn't get credit enough for being the one of the greatest ever.

The ultimate test, in the view of the boxing world is if they make the Pacquiao fight happen. I'd love to see it but I'm pretty sure Mayweather will come out on top.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    I'm still a big boxing fan, its taken a bad rap over the years...for corruption and with the rise of MMA it's been somewhat marginalized as a martial art. I still have much respect for boxers, boxing, and I think it's made a solid comeback over the last few years with some amazing fights.

I caught the replay of the Mayweather/Cotto fight this weekend, Cotto was the first fighter to rough the champ up...some saying the possible fight of the year. I'm not so sure, I think Floyd was toying with him, letting him rough him up a bit to quite the critics and put on an entertaining fight. He is a master of his art. Probably because of his mouth, he doesn't get credit enough for being the one of the greatest ever.

The ultimate test, in the view of the boxing world is if they make the Pacquiao fight happen. I'd love to see it but I'm pretty sure Mayweather will come out on top.
    Maywheather is a classic example of being great IN SPITE of what he does.
    I don't like fighters that think they are more than their sport.
    None of that takes away from being one of the most talented boxers EVER.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

His antics in and out of ring have cost him...it's lack of maturity...but it's also entertainment...not every champ will be humble, someone we admire as a man. Floyd would be nothing without boxing, I believe he knows this and isn't greater than the sport, although he may ham it up as such.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

His antics in and out of ring have cost him...it's lack of maturity...but it's also entertainment...not every champ will be humble, someone we admire as a man. Floyd would be nothing without boxing, I believe he knows this and isn't greater than the sport, although he may ham it up as such.
    Sure, he is a by-product of his "showtime" generation.

i think what you all seem to forget is....mayweathers mouth sells tickets and sells ppv...he is the biggest draw in boxing...and one of his fights wipes out most of the ufc ppvs. there is a method to his madness and its $$$.

Of that there is no doubt Doug...he is a brilliant marketer of all things Mayweather and PPV.

to be honest i like his 24/7 specials more then the fights..lol...although we didnt see much training...his uncle roger isnt as fast as he use to be..old age and sickness is catching up with him....if his uncle roger passes...i hope he doesnt go back to his dad...no offense but floyd mayweather senior has a boring style.

Mayweather is the guy people love to hate. He makes it very easy. I actually see a lot of vulnerability and lack of self confidence in some of his antics. All that make it rain, cash flashing bravado is transparent overcompensation. I can sympathize with that. On the flip side of the likability coin is Manny Pacquaio, who, despite his magnanimity is definitely no saint.

I identify more as a Manny Paquaio fan but, realistically, I have to say I think Mayweather would dismantle Manny's whole gameplan. If I had to call it right now I say it would go to the cards with Mayweather by a split decision. I don't understand why Mayweather is apparently ducking Pacquaio other than maybe deep down he thinks he can't beat him. Caginess serves him well in the ring so maybe he's too overprotective of his undefeated record.

Or he's just playing mind games. Seems unlikely when this much money is on the line.

Its not ducking at this point, its all about the $$$ and purse split, Floyd's demanding a 60/40 split in his favor...he's the man after all and Manny want's 50/50...their promoters aren't budging. Manny's guy offered a 45/45 split with the winner taking the additional 10 percent but Floyd's not having it. I think the fight will happen next year.

Its not ducking at this point, its all about the $$$ and purse split, Floyd's demanding a 60/40 split in his favor...he's the man after all and Manny want's 50/50...their promoters aren't budging. Manny's guy offered a 45/45 split with the winner taking the additional 10 percent but Floyd's not having it. I think the fight will happen next year.
    That's what I was referring to. 10%? He's ducking him. After Manny agrees to 60/40 Floyd will create another roadblock.

why would floyd duck him? floyd will beat manny pac easy...you people need to be realistic....did you see how marguez whupped manny's ass? floyd made marguez his son....both floyd and marguez fight the same style...please..be realistic, dont let your personal feelings about floyd get in the way that he is pound for pound the better fighter.

The longer this drags on the more the chance of one of them getting their asses beat by someone else and there goes the money.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    why would floyd duck him? floyd will beat manny pac easy...you people need to be realistic....did you see how marguez whupped manny's ass? floyd made marguez his son....both floyd and marguez fight the same style...please..be realistic, dont let your personal feelings about floyd get in the way that he is pound for pound the better fighter.
    Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit son.

You can't realistically compare how two fighters would perform against each other based on how they performed against the same opponent at different times and weight classes. Too many variables.

Manny knocked out Hatton in 2 rounds, but Fatton almost went the distance with Mayweather. Cotto gave Mayweather more trouble than he did Manny. Mayweather fought Marquez at catch weight where Marquez had never been above 130 before but Mayweather had been at 140+ since 05. Vice versa for Cotto. They both fought Mosley, De La Hoya blah blah blah blah.

All things considered it is not by any means an accurate method of comparison.

Like I said, it doesn't make sense for him to duck Manny, but if he was really confident he could beat him the fight would've been done. Mayweather is a genius but you can't deny that he cherry picks his opponents and it seems clear to me that it is out of over protectiveness of remaining undefeated.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit son.

You can't realistically compare how two fighters would perform against each other based on how they performed against the same opponent at different times and weight classes. Too many variables.

Manny knocked out Hatton in 2 rounds, but Fatton almost went the distance with Mayweather. Cotto gave Mayweather more trouble than he did Manny. Mayweather fought Marquez at catch weight where Marquez had never been above 130 before but Mayweather had been at 140+ since 05. Vice versa for Cotto. They both fought Mosley, De La Hoya blah blah blah blah.

All things considered it is not by any means an accurate method of comparison.

Like I said, it doesn't make sense for him to duck Manny, but if he was really confident he could beat him the fight would've been done. Mayweather is a genius but you can't deny that he cherry picks his opponents and it seems clear to me that it is out of over protectiveness of remaining undefeated.
    Excuse me...did i insult you? do you have the mental fortitude to make your comment without insulting someone? go fuqq yourself. im not your son you fuqqing moron.

do you work for team pac? no you dont, these guys are millionaires arguing over millions of dollars...you want to say im wrong fine...make your comment but dont take it personally..it takes a very weak minded individual to take something, that technically has nothing to do with them personally.
    Last edited by doug maverick; 05-17-2012 at 09:03 AM.

go fuqq yourself.
    I just did. And I was fantastic.

do you work for team pac? no you dont, these guys are millionaires arguing over millions of dollars...you want to say im wrong fine...make your comment but dont take it personally..it takes a very weak minded individual to take something, that technically has nothing to do with them personally.
    8 posts up. Same thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    I identify more as a Manny Paquaio fan but, realistically, I have to say I think Mayweather would dismantle Manny's whole gameplan. If I had to call it right now I say it would go to the cards with Mayweather by a split decision. I don't understand why Mayweather is apparently ducking Pacquaio other than maybe deep down he thinks he can't beat him. Caginess serves him well in the ring so maybe he's too overprotective of his undefeated record.

Or he's just playing mind games. Seems unlikely when this much money is on the line.
    The only statement that even mentions a possibility of Mayweather losing to Pacquiao in this entire thread is the imaginary one in your own post that you had a knee jerk reaction to.